Another Tiger For Sale on eBay - B9470832LRXFE

Warren

Gold forum user
Nice car but missing some details. Screw heads and types. Then there's the missing felts for the boot supports. Other things the stainless steel looking bit on the door card. As on the email list discussion the boot fasteners, and the tool roll strap location. Then there's the over sprayed rubber plug ?
B9470832LRXFE

1965-sunbeam.jpeg

1965-sunbeam1).jpeg

1965-sunbeam-tiger .jpeg

1965-sunbeam-tiger.jpeg

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Nice car but missing some details. Screw heads and types. Then there's the missing felts for the boot supports. Other things the stainless steel looking bit on the door card. As on the email list discussion the boot fasteners, and the tool roll strap location. Then there's the over sprayed rubber plug ?
B9470832LRXFE

View attachment 15306

View attachment 15307

View attachment 15308

View attachment 15309
Warren,
In case you're interested in original door scuff panels I have a few of the larger, still in the box, AMCO door scuff panels for Alpines and Tigers. They mount in the same area as the small one shown. I also have the scuff guards to mount on the trans tunnel so you don't wear the carpet when using the gas pedal. I still have quite a few aftermarket items for use on these cars when new.:giggle:

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Warren,
In case you're interested in original door scuff panels I have a few of the larger, still in the box, AMCO door scuff panels for Alpines and Tigers. They mount in the same area as the small one shown. I also have the scuff guards to mount on the trans tunnel so you don't wear the carpet when using the gas pedal. I still have quite a few aftermarket items for use on these cars when new.:giggle:
One of the things I had on ole' #78 was a full length sill scuff trim that covered the vertical area from the door lip up to the normal horizontal sill trim. This was actually on the sill and seen when the door was open. I have never seen another one ?? Wish it had survived .

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
One of the things I had on ole' #78 was a full length sill scuff trim that covered the vertical area from the door lip up to the normal horizontal sill trim. This was actually on the sill and seen when the door was open. I have never seen another one ?? Wish it had survived .
Are you talking about these things?

1B693EBE-2FA7-45B5-91B4-FC040CE55D1D.jpeg

Warren

Gold forum user
AMCO is aftermarket by definition. The artistic license of the car dealer listing is questionable.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Nope; the piece I had sat just below those and was the full length of the sill.
It was AMCO part #6533 and sold for$4.95. scuff plate was part #6503 @$3.95 and the throttle plate was #6521 @ $2.95. I have a set of the sill plates but they're longer because they fit my 69 Alpine GT. I have several AUTO WORLD catalogs from the late 60's to 1971. They must have stocked every AMCO part #.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
AMCO is aftermarket by definition. The artistic license of the car dealer listing is questionable.
George Byers in Columbus also stocked and sold AMCO parts for every marque of import cars along with numerous other after market items starting with the A's and going thru the alphabet. They were the midwest distributor for Rootes.

Warren

Gold forum user
These are AMCO visor's as well ya seem them on Cobra's but that doesn't make em stock does it? Maybe include the Japanese AM radio as it could have been dealer installed ;)

PXL_20210816_180104108.jpg

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Byers installed a Blaupunkt radio when they sold my green car when bought new. There weren't many cars back in the 60's that were stock.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
These are AMCO visor's as well ya seem them on Cobra's but that doesn't make em stock does it? Maybe include the Japanese AM radio as it could have been dealer installed ;)

View attachment 15318
Warren, you know stock means "what i put on my car (insert years ago)" or what the dealer put in...😉
I installed rootes specific holbay 34/35 40dcoes on my alpine 20 years ago.. They must be stock 😜

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
YEP! These parts were normal stock back in the 60's. All we needed was enough cash to buy them since Visa and Mastercard weren't widely available until the late 60's / early 70's.

Last edited:

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
Yeah. A Becker Grand Prix was installed back in 1966 by the po it cost him $149 😮

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
The most common dealer fit radio was manufactured by Motorola... Usually a 4TMB or an 8TMB. These are the ones with "Sunbeam" on the dial. These radios could be switched for Positive or Negative ground and were also sold to/for BMC (Healey/MG/Jaguar) and also Triumph. All with the marque name on the dial... The BMC ones were either marked BMCD or British Motor Corporation. Sunbeam radios read "SUNBEAM" and until 1968 the ones for Triumph, were labels as such. After 1968 and the Leyland Merger, they were marked as "BL" (British Leyland) as were the former BMC marques. These were a single speaker, push button AM band radio... Rootes cars were positive ground until they started fitting alternators... so a series 4 Alpine was Pos. ground, while a MK1 Tiger was negative ground. The same radio was optional in the USA for either... It was just a matter of setting up the radio for polarity.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member

The most common dealer fit radio was manufactured by Motorola... Usually a 4TMB or an 8TMB. These are the ones with "Sunbeam" on the dial. These radios could be switched for Positive or Negative ground and were also sold to/for BMC (Healey/MG/Jaguar) and also Triumph. All with the marque name on the dial... The BMC ones were either marked BMCD or British Motor Corporation. Sunbeam radios read "SUNBEAM" and until 1968 the ones for Triumph, were labels as such. After 1968 and the Leyland Merger, they were marked as "BL" (British Leyland) as were the former BMC marques. These were a single speaker, push button AM band radio... Rootes cars were positive ground until they started fitting alternators... so a series 4 Alpine was Pos. ground, while a MK1 Tiger was negative ground. The same radio was optional in the USA for either... It was just a matter of setting up the radio for polarity.
I'm not doubting what you're saying concerning radios but I have several of the radios with "SUNBEAM" on the dial that have no provisions for dual polarity. They're all negative ground. They also do not have a speaker as part of the radio. They're all external speakers. It could be the time frame in which they were made. I do have a couple older Motorola radios that have provisions for pulling out a tab for reversing the polarity but they don't have the "SUNBEAM" logo. A couple Motorolas that I have do have internal speakers. There has been confusion as to the radio mounting used in the cars but there is a series 2 Alpine in Pa. that has the later, wide mounting that was installed by the dealer when the owner bought the car new and took delivery of a LHD car while stationed with the U.S. Armed forces in the U.K. This mounting had to have been used in an earlier Rootes product for it to be available to U.K. dealers at that time. Has anyone else run across a Rootes vehicle that used the later mount? As you can see it's not the same as the series 2 Alpine radio mounting that has been in one of my Harringtons forever. Dealers also used the small metal mounting as is in one of our cars when the wife bought it in California in 1994. I do have several variations of Rootes speaker housings. This happens to be a late series 5 prior to the switch to the non peaked head light rims. Were there any standard items installed by dealers if not ordered when the car left the factory? It seems that dealers sold what ever made more profit for the store.

PTDC0269.JPG

100_0297.JPG

100_0543.JPG

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
The speakers are NOT part of the radio... there usually is a 2 pin connector that is rotated (in a three terminal socket) to select polarity. I've had a bunch of these radios... if they were were all negative ground you would be unable to install one in a series 4 Alpine.....

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The speakers are NOT part of the radio... there usually is a 2 pin connector that is rotated (in a three terminal socket) to select polarity. I've had a bunch of these radios... if they were were all negative ground you would be unable to install one in a series 4 Alpine.....
Take a look at the radio in my red Harrington. Is it a negative ground piece?

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The middle photo of the HLM has a tape deck by the looks...so not much point in even showing that photo in the discussion of what might be original