Any advise or info re speedi-sleeve install on Tiger rear hub and 1/2" wheel studs

boss-tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Both of my Tiger axle hubs have grooves seal wear, minor pitting, some prev. dings, etc. - was wondering if anyone has installed a speedi-sleeve on an axle hub. And if so is this a good idea, any parts reference info, etc. Also wanting to upgrading Tiger ear wheel hub studs to 1/2" (which is what I have on front now), any goo recomendations (or warnings) would be appreciated.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
There's no way that the gear oil can reach the outer seal as the inner seal blocks it. It's a strange design. The axle bearing isn't lubricated by the gear oil as in a conventional axle. The axle bearings are packed with grease, just like the front wheel bearings. Rootes specified Shell "Retinax" wheel bearing grease.

All the outer seal does, is prevent wheel bearing grease from getting to the brakes. As long as you don't go crazy with the grease, the groove shouldn't be an issue. I'm willing to bet that most people wouldn't realize that the axle bearings get packed with grease... Considering how hard it is to get the hubs off, I'll also bet it doesn't get done very often! I drilled my axle to accept zerk fittings for the rear axle bearings... something that Rootes did on the Sunbeam Talbot 90 axles.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
There's no way that the gear oil can reach the outer seal as the inner seal blocks it. It's a strange design. The axle bearing isn't lubricated by the gear oil as in a conventional axle. The axle bearings are packed with grease, just like the front wheel bearings. Rootes specified Shell "Retinax" wheel bearing grease.

All the outer seal does, is prevent wheel bearing grease from getting to the brakes. As long as you don't go crazy with the grease, the groove shouldn't be an issue. I'm willing to bet that most people wouldn't realize that the axle bearings get packed with grease... Considering how hard it is to get the hubs off, I'll also bet it doesn't get done very often! I drilled my axle to accept zerk fittings for the rear axle bearings... something that Rootes did on the Sunbeam Talbot 90 axles.
Are the bearings an open bearing or a sealed bearing?

Last edited:

boss-tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Open bearings - a bearing and a seperate race. AH ? when you pump in greese where does the extra go. Also, one of my hubs looks like it was clamped in a vise and has some dings. I was wondering if JB Weld would fill up the dings OK

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Are the bearings an open bearing or a sealed bearing?
I placed the zerk on the diff side of the bearing, so if I go hog wild it'll end up going past the inner seal into the axle tube, where it'll have no ill effects. I only inject grease every 6K miles or so, and then only 3 pumps of the grease gun.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I placed the zerk on the diff side of the bearing, so if I go hog wild it'll end up going past the inner seal into the axle tube, where it'll have no ill effects. I only inject grease every 6K miles or so, and then only 3 pumps of the grease gun.
Grease is a lubricating oil with a soap thickener designed to hold the lubricant and prevent run off of the oil. Depending on the particular gear oil in the rear end and the grease being used and the inner seal starts leaking it's possible the thickener could not be compatible with the gear oil. There are many blends of gear oil and many blends of grease so you need to ask if the products you want to use are compatible.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
given that the center section of the diff with its oil reservoir is 2 feet from the inner bearing, I seriously doubt this is an issue. As I indicated, I only lubricate it every 6000 miles, or so, and only 3 pump of the graese so, nit a huge quantity.

what I have done is basically copy what Rootes did with the ST 90 rear axle bearings.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
given that the center section of the diff with its oil reservoir is 2 feet from the inner bearing, I seriously doubt this is an issue. As I indicated, I only lubricate it every 6000 miles, or so, and only 3 pump of the graese so, nit a huge quantity.

what I have done is basically copy what Rootes did with the ST 90 rear axle bearings.
It could be an issue due to the changes made when blending lubes since these cars were built. After almost 40 years of being in the lube business and seeing the changes that have been made in lubes I've learned to question compatibility. It's all up to the owner concerning what he does.

Last edited:

Hoghead

Gold forum user

I do that as well

boss-tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
So what did Rootes do with ST 90 rear axle bearings, also what is an ST 90 rear axle