Any one using wilwood pro spindles ?

Tigerbill

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Hi Guys,
I have got my suspension all disassembled ( cross member reinforced). I'm converting to a Mustang ii steering rack and I'm considering going with Mustang ii spindles ( five lug, bigger brakes and possible 2 inch drop). I notice the Wilwood Prospindles have removable steering arms ( flipable) and also note that they are 1/2 in taller. The extra 1/2 inch height would increase the upper A arm angle...any thoughts on the consequence?

The alternative is to go with fixed arm spindles from another source which are 3/16 of an inch shorter in height.
I look forward to the collective wisdom shared here!
Bill McG in frozen Ottawa

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Very Curious

Hi Guys,
I have got my suspension all disassembled ( cross member reinforced). I'm converting to a Mustang ii steering rack and I'm considering going with Mustang ii spindles ( five lug, bigger brakes and possible 2 inch drop). I notice the Wilwood Prospindles have removable steering arms ( flipable) and also note that they are 1/2 in taller. The extra 1/2 inch height would increase the upper A arm angle...any thoughts on the consequence?

The alternative is to go with fixed arm spindles from another source which are 3/16 of an inch shorter in height.
I look forward to the collective wisdom shared here!
Bill McG in frozen Ottawa

Like to see where this one goes fer sure. We have a customer looking at building a modified Ti-Pine for play. It seems that the upper A-arm angle could be controlled somewhat by spring load. Kicking the camber in a corner may or may not be a bad thing ? What's the "alternative" spindle source?

Tigerbill

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Ebay has various packages listed for "Alternative spindles " ie http://www.ebay.ca/itm/271100607599?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

In this case the steering arm is fixed vs removable itch the wilwood spindle and the brakes are single piston ( still a lot more swept area than stock).

All choices will likely require taper reaming for ball joints as the mustang ii spec is slightly smaller than the 'Beam ball joints.

Thanks for the in sight re spring loading adjusting the upper arm angle.
Adjustable coilovers like the QA1's could work.

By the way mine is an Alger conversion ( came from Alger Washington :)
I've done the surgery and reinforcement of the cross member to locate the mustang ii rack ( machined off mustang rack mounts) and using flaming river mounts. Also modified the firewall, trans tunnel (t5) and welded in 3" exhaust pass throughs in the X member...getting closer...bit by bit

PITT40

Gold forum user
I would love to see a pic of your front end. I know where a spare Tiger front crossmember is. Rather than the 6K for a custom front end, I could do the Mustang II conversion myself.

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
Hi Bill

Did you ever follow up with the info I sent from Chuck Ingram in Winnipeg ?
Remember he used Mustang II spindles and rack on a stock Alpine cross member ?... and version #2 used tubular A-arms and more mods

mwood

Gold forum user
How much are we talking, in terms of increase in upper a-arm angle?

You're going to likely drop the roll center a bunch and I don't think Tiger front suspension will respond well to the increase in roll couple. At least, you'd likely be wanting to seriously up spring rate and, maybe, think about some type of roll center adjustment, most likely a lower ball joint with a thicker flange to drop the lower a-arm at the spindle...maybe. I don't know for certain, never tried any of this with a Tiger :)

Warren

Gold forum user
Butcher a Alpine X

I would love to see a pic of your front end. I know where a spare Tiger front crossmember is. Rather than the 6K for a custom front end, I could do the Mustang II conversion myself.

Member they are a dime a dozen, well sort of....

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I looked at the Wilwood spindles to replace the MII's that are on the crossmember I have. I think their were a few different things that made i not drop in, possibly steering arm issues.

When I did poke around their were a few folks that make variants of the Mustang II spindles but can't remember where I came across them, been a long while since I looked. The ones from Speedway and other hot rod shops are pretty poor castings quality and that's the main reason looking at the Wilwood's.

Check out Coleman racing and other circle track places they have loads of that type of stuff and lots of options on suspensions parts.

Sandy

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
It's a back burner project, but I picked up a SV crossmember on CL for $300. It has wire wheel hubs, but I'll pitch them anyway. Still working on the recipie but I'm thinking MGB rack and steering arms, 67 mustang drum hubs, BMW 528 rotors, boxter calipers, and some custom caliper mounts. I could cut into the crossmember and modify similar to the Tiger one if the mock up works out. I'd like to put 5 lug daisy wheels or like Pitt maybe cragers.

but who knows....:D

-Kevin

Tigerbill

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Hi Bill

Did you ever follow up with the info I sent from Chuck Ingram in Winnipeg ?
Remember he used Mustang II spindles and rack on a stock Alpine cross member ?... and version #2 used tubular A-arms and more mods

Hi Jim, sorry for the slow reply...I just came across your message. Yes I am planning on following Chuck Ingram's lead and adapt the mustang ii spindles. I have modified and reinforced the cross member for a mustang ii steering rack. While there are cheaper alternatives, the Wilwood spindles are stronger and have separate steering arms (longer too) so they are my first choice. Just finishing the body work (welded in steel flares ala the Fraser Monster tiger) and then on to finishing the suspension ( 5 bolt all around) after the deep freeze hiatus has passed!