Any suggestion for replacing door limiter rubber?

boss-tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Looking for heavy duty rubber replacement for the door limiter straps. What I found at hardware store correct size but too soft
IMO. Any suggestions these? Also curious what is the + sign for (mine are same orientation left and right side)?

1662223759939.png

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Looking for heavy duty rubber replacement for the door limiter straps. What I found at hardware store correct size but too soft
IMO. Any suggestions these? Also curious what is the + sign for (mine are same orientation left and right side)?

View attachment 16049
I use big fat wire grommets . . . .just sayin'

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
If it's all rubber you can find some of that on McMaster, the reinforced stuff is usually expensive, but poke around you might find a similar material on conveyor belting which might be less expensive then raw rubber sheeting. You could also try to cut it out of a only non-steel belted radial tire side wall, get creative ;)

Link to the conveyor stuff, also search for rubber. I have used the conveyor stuff for a few odds and ends where I needed some reinforced rubber. You may have to double it up depending on thickness, use 3m yelllow or black snot trim glue as it seemed to work well for my crap.

https://www.mcmaster.com/conveyor-belts/belting-for-slider-bed-conveyors-6/

Sandy

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
How about a piece from a bicycle tire? That would seem to be similar in construction and rigidity.

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I made mine from McMaster 1/8", I think 60a, hardness rubber sheet.
It works fine. It is invisible so it just has to cushion the door stop.

boss-tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks everyone, I did find some shock tip ends, then used a small dremmel wood carving tool (like a mini saw blade - cut thru the rubber like butter) to elogate the hole and seems to work well, If I am wrong, then years down the road I am going to have to do it again.

boss-tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
FYI, this is rotary tool bit I used to enlarge rubber opening. Works very well and quickly with soft materials like wood, plastic, rubber, fillers like bondo and epoxy - be careful big time. Oh, it gets hot fast so I ran for short bursts and cooled down often with air compressor air. Dremel part number 199

Dremel 199 soft material cutting tool.jpg

Warren

Gold forum user
Dremel also has tiny cut off tools and mini diamond blade cutters. My favorite Sawzall replacement is a Husky Diamond ripping blade for 10 bucks.

I've seen reasonable facsimile rubber washers in what looks to be old tires tread with polyester cords in the plumbing section. Plus any hardware store has the sheet rubber in varying quality. You might not feel so bad cutting up and old bicycle tire instead of that Dunlop road speed tire :)

boss-tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I love tools, like a kid in a candy store. The rotaty Dremel style tool specifically I use all the time