Anyone have any info on my Tiger I just purchased?

grevegti

Bronze forum user
Hi Everyone,
I've been collecting Tiger parts (all of them ;) ) for years waiting to build one when the right car came along and as strange as it seems this is a great car for what i've got and where i'm going with it, so so excited!
But anyhow, just wondering if anyone had any info or history on the car? I purchased from Beverly Hills Car Club and it is a 66 MK1a vin# B382001266.
Thanks to all and have a great day,
Brian
tiger.jpg

KenF

Gold forum user
Whoa! That's going to take a little fixin' up! What's your strategy to get it back on the road? Doing the work yourself? I don't know any history of the car, but have seen it on the Beverly Hills site.

Warren

Gold forum user
Are you local ? I too saw the car and thought it looked a like a sad caricature of a Tiger by Pixel and the Cars kids movies. Got a pretty fair passenger wing, I mean fender. We can steer you the right way here or the left as well :)
We have a special section, "My Tiger's story." I always start by Google stalking cars by searching VIN numbers with and without the LRXFE designation. Look for the DMV INF70 form . B.H.C.C. seems to specialize in garage finds as they had a former local car that was parked disassembled and then stolen and gone for 4 years the old Tiger hunter story from Tiger Tales.

Thanks for posting and welcome.

grevegti

Bronze forum user
Are you local ? I too saw the car and thought it looked a like a sad caricature of a Tiger by Pixel and the Cars kids movies. Got a pretty fair passenger wing, I mean fender. We can steer you the right way here or the left as well :)
We have a special section, "My Tiger's story." I always start by Google stalking cars by searching VIN numbers with and without the LRXFE designation. Look for the DMV INF70 form . B.H.C.C. seems to specialize in garage finds as they had a former local car that was parked disassembled and then stolen and gone for 4 years the old Tiger hunter story from Tiger Tales.

Thanks for posting and welcome.
Thanks for the welcome and i'm on the opposite coast in New Hampshire! And yes she's looking sad, but I would not want to start with anything more ;)

I've been a CATmbr for a number of years but only joined the forum just this week. I have been collecting all types of Tiger parts while finishing other various cars for the past 10 years, preparing for the right Tiger to come along at the right price. Fortunately I have everything to repair the car as a result of my hoarding (body/interior/mechanical). The shoddy 6 bolt C4 someone attempted to attach to what I can only assume now is a 302 (unless they had a custom 5bolt bellhousing adapter made for 260) gave me the final reason to purchase the car and throw my roller forged flat top piston 302/twisted wedge head/e303cam and Tremec T5 in and build my dream Tiger.

I had them send me tons of detailed photos of the "areas of interest" to verify that is a Tiger and from my view everything checks out to be a 66 Embassy Black Mk1-a obviously without the original engine/trans. I will probably have it TAC'ed before it goes under the knife, seems like that would make more sense than afterward.

Yes, she's just a bit of a turd at the moment, but that's how they all start for me, if it was easy everyone would do it ;)

Def interested if anyone knows any bits of the cars personal history and where it came from, I will love it just the same either way

Warren

Gold forum user
What's the pink slip say? I was guessing it came out of California but who knows.

grevegti

Bronze forum user
Whoa! That's going to take a little fixin' up! What's your strategy to get it back on the road? Doing the work yourself? I don't know any history of the car, but have seen it on the Beverly Hills site.
Hi KenF and "whoa" is right haha. Yes I can can do all the work myself fortunately or unfortunately, as that may be.

I'm going to do the whole drill out front fender spot welds to replace fenders entirely, replacing metal below upper fender seam where necessary, then going to graft on probably what will be most of a new face including the metal around upper grill as necessary, keeping what I can and then replace the valance entirely because thats clapped in every way. Hopefully breathing in the least amount of lead possible along the way.

Just a lot of rust and dent repair in the rear of the car, it will take forever on a British roadster... like it always does.
Trunk will take some time repairing "frame rails" and most posterior portion of floor as well, but fortunately except for one of the battery holders rotting off its Tiger'ness is in perfect nic.

X-frame and floor is not the worst Sunbeam i've had or seen but I plan on at least a couple hundred hours there too, replacing with pieces i'll be cutting from my solid donor x-frame and floor. Obviously will be replacing rockers and repairing surrounding relative metal.

My only worry is that welding gas prices don't increase proportionally to normal gas prices at the moment ;)
Have a good day

forgot to mention i'll be replacing the doors entirely to make my life easier and windshield/frame and hood with replacements i've got

Last edited:

KenF

Gold forum user
Grevegti, sounds like this isn't your first rodeo! Good luck, and please post pics of the progress!

Warren

Gold forum user
I'll second Ken's encouraging comment and add he's got the highest rated and read posting here. The information and build or deconstruction and reconstruction is helpful to those contemplating the same. Seeing the smile come back would be an inspiration for many.

grevegti

Bronze forum user
Grevegti, sounds like this isn't your first rodeo! Good luck, and please post pics of the progress!
Absolutely will be keeping this thread goingšŸ˜€

I found it was in NY state since the mid 80ā€™s so iā€™m starting there.

You could say I need to keep up to date on my tetanus shots ;) Iā€™ve parted out and dissected 2 trashed Alpines over the years and saved metal from cars that I knew I might need for the inevitable basket case I would end up getting, honestly thought I would be building an Alger back when the market was nuts. I was getting ready for the worst Tiger imaginable, other cars got in the way the past few years, parts gathered dust, and now weā€™re here.

Here is a pic of the ā€œgoodā€ side of this MG I did, had to do inner rocker and 2.5ā€ into the driver floor on the other side yikes! Usually donā€™t take pics with dirty hands but iā€™ll be taking more time for photos on this one. Itā€™s an important one for me, the one if you will.

1B7EE8D9-5A9A-4542-ADB7-862699CEC395.jpeg

grevegti

Bronze forum user
Hi again all,

So she arrived last Thursday and so far iā€™ve knocked/pulled her straight (into ratrod status haha) so I can plan out my rhinoplasty. Everything else on the body/underbody is better than I had anticipated so weā€™re off to a good start!!

Iā€™ll be finishing up the roller 302/T5 build in the next few weeks, so iā€™ll post up some pics of that soon.

Hope you all have a great day everyone

13DD27D8-E448-4C75-AC72-BE93FB3A37FC.jpeg

DD6E7043-21DE-4629-B85A-CACDCF06E05C.jpeg

CBED2E09-7F05-4714-A876-E27C24D947B1.jpeg

grevegti

Bronze forum user
Have to mostly work on other peopleā€™s rust bucketā€™s through the winter but wanted to post a couple pics of the Cat in 2022, it being the ā€œYear of the Tigerā€ and whatnot šŸ… šŸ˜ƒ car will be ready for paint mid/late summer ā€˜23, iā€™ll get better pics of it totally ripped/torn apart prior to paint too.
Hope you all had Happy Holidayā€™s and hereā€™s to a Happy 2023,
Brian

B9229075-033E-4F02-9E6D-24987EE0AB0E.jpeg

D82DF243-84B9-42EF-B463-85BD2082E43F.jpeg

ECDB6CBE-78F8-4706-8766-1C4EAF2FC25D.jpeg

AC727B17-DAB1-49B5-AE7F-FBD520D07106.jpeg

E9D987EA-FDFC-496B-9314-E4B4C4C8F85E.jpeg

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Well.. Good progress on the engine.. And if you get a hurry on.. Your helper can do all the under dash work and and engine bay install while int he car šŸ˜œ

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
There's a black Tiger here in Ohio that was probably just as bad. It bounced off a concrete bridge pier a few times. It's been back on the road for a few years and was driven to the last SUNI. Anything is possible.

Warren

Gold forum user
There's a roll bar wanted ad that drifted into a discussion about the personal taste and functionality. Looks like this one may have helped.
Keep up the good work.