Arizona Tiger back in England.

franksongraphics

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Hi everyone and thanks for letting me join.
About 3 months ago I bought a 1966 Tiger that was imported from Arizona to England in 2013, the history file has been lost by the previous owner along with the original hard top and parts that originally came with the car, all I have to go on are some photos I was sent from when it was originally up for sale in Arizona and a tin of paint with the name Richard Crump Tiger on the lid.
If anyone has any information that would help putting its history back together I would very much appreciated it.
Chassis number B382000940LRXFE

940_4.JPG

940_3.JPG

940_5.JPG

20220627_133446.jpg

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
Thank you Tony
There is probably very little known history of the car since it was possibly not registered with the Tiger clubs. With the few pictures you have it shows a very original looking car with minimal rust around the traction bar area and rear leaf spring. Finding another hardtop will be very difficult and a good one could cost a few thousand pounds or dollars, so I would really spend a lot of effort to try and get the original back along with the paperwork
The photos you have posted show only a few non stock parts that I can see , including the washer pump , wheels and air cleaner. The traction bars were an option and are a good thing to have but they are notorious for the welds to break
As a word of advise the air cleaner that you have are somewhat fire prone and since it is not original it may be a good idea to replace it unfortunately the originals fetch a very high price
Very few original non modified Tigers are still around especially with original paint and are really sought after. I don’t know what your ideas are about restoration but remember they are only original once!
As said yours looks very original and a really good example.
Good luck with the car and enjoy it

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
There is probably very little known history of the car since it was possibly not registered with the Tiger clubs. With the few pictures you have it shows a very original looking car with minimal rust around the traction bar area and rear leaf spring. Finding another hardtop will be very difficult and a good one could cost a few thousand pounds or dollars, so I would really spend a lot of effort to try and get the original back along with the paperwork
The photos you have posted show only a few non stock parts that I can see , including the washer pump , wheels and air cleaner. The traction bars were an option and are a good thing to have but they are notorious for the welds to break
As a word of advise the air cleaner that you have are somewhat fire prone and since it is not original it may be a good idea to replace it unfortunately the originals fetch a very high price
Very few original non modified Tigers are still around especially with original paint and are really sought after. I don’t know what your ideas are about restoration but remember they are only original once!
As said yours looks very original and a really good example.
Good luck with the car and enjoy it
Oh :- if the wheels are original LAT option from way back they are highly desirable, if I had them on my Tiger I would keep them but I do like my original wheels with the early original wheel trims the later version had slots and would have been on your car.

4B5129F7-B28D-483B-81EF-28F3716E2E16.png

franksongraphics

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
I was hoping that someone hadn't just added a CAT sticker on the quarter window and there can't be too many owners named Richard Crump in Arizona or California so eventually I hope this will lead to useful information.
Its possible that the car has seen some track use as it's been fitted with roll hoop, some heavy duty seat harnesses, headers, Edlebrock performance manifold, Holley 4 barrel, I'm pretty sure it's in solid lifters.
The washer bottle has been removed to make room for a much larger ignition coil.
Once I'm happy that all the basics are sorted, this will be one of the most used Tigers in England, I've waited since 1966 to own a green Tiger and missed out buying a friends back in 1981, not too many years left to play so I'm going to enjoy it.

franksongraphics

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Oh :- if the wheels are original LAT option from way back they are highly desirable, if I had them on my Tiger I would keep them but I do like my original wheels with the early original wheel trims the later version had slots and would have been on your car.

View attachment 16054
The wheels appear to be original and not later copies and I will be keeping them, I will be looking eventually for a pair of the wider rear wheels that were available.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The wheels appear to be original and not later copies and I will be keeping them, I will be looking eventually for a pair of the wider rear wheels that were available.
The wheels are not optional rootes or LAT wheels.
They appear to be period minilite style wheels, very popular option in period and the works rally cars used them.

Being a USA car and the recess in the central hub they might be the Carroll Shelby wheels

franksongraphics

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
The wheels are not optional rootes or LAT wheels.
They appear to be period minilite style wheels, very popular option in period and the works rally cars used them.

Being a USA car and the recess in the central hub they might be the Carroll Shelby wheels
Hi Michael, thank you for your help, every piece of information will help.

Warren

Gold forum user
https://azdot.gov/motor-vehicles/forms-library

Possibly AZ has a form like California INF70.
That a request to search databases for your vehicle information. AZ probably was the same as it is now where car lic. plates were the property of the owner and remained in their possession. You can see the California form online .
Always the flu in the ointment is?
How was the car titled?
SUN66B382000940LRXFE or some other way.
If most cars came in through the ports in California it may have been titled there too. Sometimes the designation is added sometimes the B is left off etc. Someplace I have Chuck Daly's old collection of club rosters . Others probably have better collections of stuff.
As for wheels looking for period ones in the UK may net you some 6" Cosmic or Dunlop D1's .

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
69ABC437-70FD-4109-BBAA-17E2F1E7B0CC.png
I found this on a google search Mesa is in Arizona Possibly a good lead , it’s up to you if you want to call

franksongraphics

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
https://azdot.gov/motor-vehicles/forms-library

Possibly AZ has a form like California INF70.
That a request to search databases for your vehicle information. AZ probably was the same as it is now where car lic. plates were the property of the owner and remained in their possession. You can see the California form online .
Always the flu in the ointment is?
How was the car titled?
SUN66B382000940LRXFE or some other way.
If most cars came in through the ports in California it may have been titled there too. Sometimes the designation is added sometimes the B is left off etc. Someplace I have Chuck Daly's old collection of club rosters . Others probably have better collections of stuff.
As for wheels looking for period ones in the UK may net you some 6" Cosmic or Dunlop D1's .
Hi Warren, the car did originally have US paperwork and the original plates when it was imported but they have been lost during its time in several storage locations along with the original hard top, it is possible that some day they will turn up but not holding much hope.
I like the wheels that are on it, once I find out what they are I'll see if it's possible to get rears an inch wider to fill the arch out better.
Someone in Arizona will recognize the car eventually as it has had substantial work done on the front clip and right hand wing/fender, possibly new or very good second hand at sometime in its life, possibly when it was painted in 2011.