B382002015 Gooding Amelia. No affiliation...

DD (CA)

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Screen Shot 2022-03-04 at 2.56.07 PM.png

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Pretty strong price, good to see our cars being sought after. Thanks for posting that Derek!

DD (CA)

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Alright, I'll go ahead and say it. Theres something off, particularly with gooding and even more so with amelia Tiger results. Ive been fortunate enough to visit and see a number of the cars pictured here. The price fluctuation is too dramatic, even for our quirky ass cars. Sure, "the word is getting out." I had a gentleman racer ($$$) at Sonoma last week ask me about my LAT jacket (tribute) and excitedly tell me he knew of a Tiger he could get for $79k! "That seems cheap!" Im like... yeah, you could probably buy just about any of them for that... (explained more details briefly)

Im all for appreciation, for my kids value anyway. But, something has been odd with s number of these sales. And it hasnt always been too high... the white on red MKI in AZ was a very sharp car. Not all correct, but amenable. The dark blue in AZ at nearly double, not nearly as nice and i had no rationale for price. The grey in FL, I did not see in person, looks top notch. $150k again. The blue here at PB, pretty nice. Not orig, needing touches, but clean. $76k.

(Steps off soapbox...)

73C0AB6D-255A-423D-AF17-AC306F99846F.jpeg

CF09F9CB-6B0C-453B-9A34-106478219E5D.jpeg

F893541F-88F8-43FE-BF03-D5A69C858699.jpeg

D622D2D8-61BE-4F49-BFD0-C8C80F40240C.jpeg

10FE0795-AA0B-4F6E-AE04-D397D80C939F.jpeg

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The 'crooked trim' MK1a 2093 has always been an anomaly for high$$ sales ...
Opinion : The trim is where it belongs on the metal. It's the metal that is not where it's supposed to be. Got three in the Queue right now with the same nose-down issues.

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
Opinion : The trim is where it belongs on the metal. It's the metal that is not where it's supposed to be. Got three in the Queue right now with the same nose-down issues.
What are you guys talking about ? Please explain

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
What are you guys talking about ? Please explain
The tiger side stripe is uneven and steps where the badge is.
Basically rises diagonally accross the drivers door and then the small trim intersects the top of the R in Tiger as oppoosed to aligned to bottom of text

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The tiger side stripe is uneven and steps where the badge is.
Basically rises diagonally accross the drivers door and then the small trim intersects the top of the R in Tiger as oppoosed to aligned to bottom of text
We like to correct most of that geometry on the frame table before too much welding takes place. But often the need arises for deep relief slices in the panels as the flaws show themselves. Welding too strongly in the projects beginning can frustrate panel alignment as the uni-body stiffens. Ergo, the slow process of tack & measure will win out (eventually).

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
We like to correct most of that geometry on the frame table before too much welding takes place. But often the need arises for deep relief slices in the panels as the flaws show themselves. Welding too strongly in the projects beginning can frustrate panel alignment as the uni-body stiffens. Ergo, the slow process of tack & measure will win out (eventually).
Does this misalignment occur only when the wheel arches are flared to accommodate a larger wheel

Warren

Gold forum user
Be nice to save the link and possibly some pics, if these are benchmarks. The auctioneers listings shelf life is always a question.

Seen guy's align doors and panels then weld up holes and reset the trim holes complete.

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Some of these cars in my opinion like the “crooked trim car” are a result from chandelier bidding or a schill in the bidding process, lots of free alcohol or liquid courage served also. (Barrett Jackson has bidders in the audience, bidders on the phone, and computer bidders, you never know if there’s anyone on the other end bidding it up.) There are auction houses that lend themselves more to sports cars and others to resto mods and muscle cars. The right car at the wrong venue can bring undesirable results. There have been a few cars cross the block with low winning bids I would be very hesitant to raise my hand to. In my view if the cars show well as represented without a “story”, has some known history, it should do well….at the right venue.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Does this misalignment occur only when the wheel arches are flared to accommodate a larger wheel
"Tired" uni-bodies will misalign as the A & B post bottoms rot out. Couple that with what I call Braille parking when the cross member finds a curb block and the impact dips the nose and raises the A post. Even the better body men will take a "good enough" result after frustration sets in.

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
"Tired" uni-bodies will misalign as the A & B post bottoms rot out. Couple that with what I call Braille parking when the cross member finds a curb block and the impact dips the nose and raises the A post. Even the better body men will take a "good enough" result after frustration sets in.
So it sounds like it is a structural problem with either a bent or deteriorated frame that then miss aligns the trim, a cause for concern. Thanks for the answers

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Think about the number of photos showing cars on a rotisserie without bracing between the A post and the B post. Cut the rockers and expose the inner sills and chances are the body sags. That makes for possible misalignment. The shop that has restored more than one body for us measures from a point on the fire wall to the tubes on the frame rails where the cross member bolts on. That could reflect sagging or bent frame rails. He used a rack that allowed him to bolt the body in place and also roll the rack over into different positions to make repairs easier. This is one of those cars.
107_0166.JPG
107_0172.JPG