Born On Date

BonesK68

New forum user
Being a new Tiger owner I want to know everything about my car as possible. I have noticed some referring to a Born On Date for their cars. How is this determined?
Thanks

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The final assembly of Tigers took place at one of Jensen's factories. They maintained a ledger of Tigers, listing both VIN and JAL numbers. The list also includes the date the Tiger was completed. One of the first attempts to publish this information is the inclusion of this information in the Book of Norman, by Norm Miller. It is out of print, but various Tiger owners have a copy. Another source is the Rootes Archive Centre Trust. (See the forum below with that name for more information.) Please note that one can not tell which of different cars with the same date rolled off the assembly line first. There is no first or last. Also, the cars are not necessarily in order by VIN or by JAL number.

o2bdriving

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Being a new Tiger owner I want to know everything about my car as possible. I have noticed some referring to a Born On Date for their cars. How is this determined?
Thanks
Welcome. Do you know the VIN and able to share it here? Others will have documentation (BoN) that will shed some light on your Tiger. Also, join the FB Tiger Groups too.

steven

Gold forum user
The Jensen date for your Tiger is 65/2/11 the Rota number is 2132 all other information is shown as withheld

o2bdriving

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Yes, the Vin is B9472283. Thanks for the help!
Ray
Somebody will be along and decipher that VIN. Many are at SUNI this week so not in front of their device. My Google search shows that you just recently purchased via BaT out of Denver. Looks like it was TACed so there'll be records. Looking at the comments on BaT, I recognize some of the handles and they seemed to think that you did well.

Stand by for the flow of knowledge from the others.

o2bdriving

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Google search of your VIN

Found this nugget on the TEAE site as posted by Gary and Judy Moore on Sept 1 2008.

Engine original to car…B9472283 Engine s/n 3049-S27KA Model. C4PZ-6001-cf option 90-2632

From thesunbeamclub.com

Posted by Gary on April 2006

The old Rootes/Peugot factory goes and here the Norton motorcycle produced
by Kenny Dreer has shut down...No money....Norton dies again....Gary
B9472283

On Oct 7, 2012, at 21:04, arado7 at sbcglobal.net wrote:

My Tiger is original and I keep it that way. Engine performance met my
need.
Suspension works. I used Waxoyl for thirty years. All of my machines are
rust free.I use dot 5 brake fluid. I employ original booster. All
lubricants
are Mobil 1. Ignition is electronic. I still have the points. Carburetor is
385CFM Holley. I still have the 2 barrel and manifold. Interior is
original. I did a respray in lacquer. Acquired and reworked a hard top.
Still have the soft top in place. I have enjoyed this car for 27 years.
Gary
Moore B9472283.

Last edited:

HRS121E

Silver forum user
If I may add some info from the other side of the 'pond'. Rootes' weekly "Off Track" records show B9472283 LRX entered the assembly line during the week ending 29th January 1965, along with 116 others. It is not known why the Jensen Date is two weeks later. 2285 (2/15/65) was also delayed in being trucked over to Ryton.

steven

Gold forum user
If I may add some info from the other side of the 'pond'. Rootes' weekly "Off Track" records show B9472283 LRX entered the assembly line during the week ending 29th January 1965, along with 116 others. It is not known why the Jensen Date is two weeks later. 2285 (2/15/65) was also delayed in being trucked over to Ryton.
The jensen date according to Bon is 2/11/65

HRS121E

Silver forum user
The “Rootes Weekly Off-Track reports” conveyed the last VIN# of the week for all car models off every assembly line at Rootes’ plants, including the ‘outlier’ – Jensen’s Tiger production. Executive standing instructions were “To provide Production Control with a teleprint every Monday with the last chassis number of every model off track the previous Friday”. Here's an example from 12th February 1965
Off Track 12 Feb 65.JPG

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The “Rootes Weekly Off-Track reports” conveyed the last VIN# of the week for all car models off every assembly line at Rootes’ plants, including the ‘outlier’ – Jensen’s Tiger production. Executive standing instructions were “To provide Production Control with a teleprint every Monday with the last chassis number of every model off track the previous Friday”. Here's an example from 12th February 1965
View attachment 14224
While the Rootes Weekly Off-track reports are interesting, they are only within a week of production. Also, they do not list every individual car, only the highest chassis number of all car produced that week. But the cars did not come off the assembly line in order of chassis numbers. For example, in the above sheet the chassis number for the Tiger (Alpine'260') is listed as B.9472609. It is possible that B.9472605 was finished the following week. (This is a hypothetical example, as I do not know when B.9472605 rolled off the assembly line.)

Warren

Gold forum user
Graham I mean HRS122E thanks for the print out.
Always interesting what the lads did back in the day.
After hearing the report on the West coast numbers guy from Tom H. maybe time for you to step in and be more than the UK registry type.

BillRo

Gold forum user
The Jensen date for #2609 was 10/2/65 which is within the week ending Friday 12/2/65. If, as Warren states, cars did not come off the line in VIN order, and I suspect Production Control was interested in numbers produced, why was that info not provided? I wonder how this info was used by Rootes.