Boss 302 Tiger

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
I loved this car when I saw it in the 80's at one of the Tigers United. Anyone remember it? Whatever happened to it?

2dazh9z.jpg

Warren

Gold forum user
WTF

Or What The Flux Capacitor...... Bruce if a Yugo had flared fenders you'd dig it too. It looks like a Hot wheels car, cool but forever morphed into a FrankenTiger.

Tigerbill

Silver forum user
CAT Member
It's funny how a mod like that can easily be pegged to the decade it was created.
I'm contemplating flares but if I do go that way, they will be a metal and more subtle.

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
I would like to see the complete article. Looks like the engine may have been producing over 600 HP :eek:

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Interesting,

they have gone to modernise it again.. black gloss window frame, intergrated bumpers, turbo stone guards, colour coded the mirrors, petrol cap and boot hinges, assume lost the blower as the bonnet is now a LAT one, added the LAt fender vents.. but what i dont get.. No front indicators or parkers anymore :eek:

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Good find Norm. The article says that with 22psi it puts out 630 hp. I like it better with a chrome front bumper.

the_tool_man

Gold forum user
If you look carefully, it seems to be morphing into a 911.

Cheers! Mike

My thoughts, exactly, only you don't have to look very carefully. It looks like the owner wrecked his 911, and was in the process of parting it out when he bought this car.

larry.paul

New forum user
CAT Member
I still own this car

Sorry about dropping out of touch with everyone. I still own this car as I have since 1981. Although a bit more dusty, it is still in nearly the same condition as it was back in the late 80's. Life has been busy with work and since getting married over 23 years ago and now with kids too...

It has been in storage, but I did fire it up the semi recently. It still runs great. It also still has the original wide letter California blue and yellow "TIGER" license plates on the front and rear of the car.

larry.paul

New forum user
CAT Member
While I did start it in 2019, my Tiger needed some TLC, however, for the first time in decades, it is actually back on the road. It has the same Turbocharged 1970 Boss 302 engine in it that I have had in the car for the last 40 years. I had put it in good storage, but it still needed a bit of time to get it road worthy with new tires, new custom Griffin "Performance fit" radiator and waterless Evans coolant and all new fluids including flushed brake lines, new platinum spark plugs (really really not easy to do in that car) along with new plug wires distributor cap and rotor, and replaced all fuel lines as well as they were quite brittle among other things.

By the way, in the mid 1980s (after the article) I installed custom made pistons and increased the compression to 9:1 (from 8.2:1) and decreased the max boost to 15psi. It gave more bottom end torque but the same overall horsepower. Also I don't recall what the article said, but I swapped the close ratio top loader out for a wide ratio top loader and the rear axle is still/now a 8 3/4" Mopar with 3.23:1 posi (although I still do have the 3.55:1 pumpkin that I can swap in if I want it).

Happy to report it is driving well and is still a blast to drive! (By the way-all 4 flares are metal, not fiberglass).

I even had the car in a small neighborhood car show on the 4th of July. It was fun to be able to show the car again.

front shot of Tiger July 2021.jpg

Tiger from the front at 07042021.jpg

Tiger from the rear at 07042021.jpg

Boss 302 Turbocharged Tiger Engine July 2021.jpg

Last edited:

Warren

Gold forum user
Welcome back, and good job resuscitating this old thread. Let us know if you resign up plus in your details you can say what town you are in.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
One of my all time favorite time Tigers - bought the Hot Rod magazine it was in while attending college, still have that mag too. Semi copied it too years ago

tigerflarezz.jpg

Last edited:

larry.paul

New forum user
CAT Member
Welcome back, and good job resuscitating this old thread. Let us know if you resign up plus in your details you can say what town you are in.
It is good to be back in the Tiger and as a member of CAT again too (I re-joined yesterday). I am in the South Bay section of Los Angeles.

For the record: Two pairs of steel Porsche 930 rear flares were grafted onto my car.

Last edited: