brake master cylinder dust cover?

mrthieba

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I just rebuilt my brake master cylinder. One question. How do I get the rubber dust boot onto the push rod? Does it stretch enough to slide over the prongs, or over the other end with the metal washer? Or does the push rod come apart in some way? Any help appreciated.

Mat

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
As I recall, I got mine on over the washer end. using a generous amount of Vasaline to eliminate the friction. Seemed the thinner surface and having to distort in only one direction helped, or so I vaguely recall. You also might want to warm the rubber first in the sun or with a hair dryer, to make it more pliable.

That's my recollection anyway, No guarantees and YRMV.

Gene

XTIGERX

Gold forum user
It's really a 2 man job or use a vise to gently hold the shaft. They used to supply red grease and by the time that gets smeared around stretching over the end, washer end seems best choice, all the pieces start slipping out of your hands.

Vaseline may not be the best to use as I believe it breaks down the rubber but not a critical location here. Maybe could use white grease but I'm not sure of it's properties in regards to rubber. I put a smear of red grease on the seal as well or break fluid. I wouldn't use Vaseline on seal though unless you don't mind possibly going thru the rebuild more often.

DCTiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Just Replaced Both Clutch Master and Brake Cylinders

I just replaced both cylinders and the brake boot I put over the washer, since I had to reuse the brake rod due to the spread of the bar not wide enough to fit over the pedal. Did not use grease but used a wide screwdriver to not accidentally cut the rubber. Had to file the old washer to be able to fit in the new cylinder.

Regards,

mrthieba

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks all. I went over the washer using the supplied red grease. Sure doesn't look like it will stretch that much but it does.

FYI the brake pedal had been needing one pump to get pressure up. But it had no air it and never leaked. The master cylinder rebuild solved the problem but I don't know why exactly.

XTIGERX

Gold forum user
Good to hear you got the brakes working properly. I don't have a problem pumping the clutch a little but even just one pump for the brakes can be risky in a panic stop. I've probably torn half of the boots I've done trying to get it over the washer but used them anyway. Just rotated it around a bit so breather hole and tear are at about the same level.