Bubbles the Tiger

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I just finished rebuilding my brake master cylinder and normally recruit my wife to help me bleed the brakes. She was gone this afternoon, so I used one of those one-man bleeder kits. Holy moly! Went through 2 twelve ounce containers of Castrol LMA before I got the peddle where I wanted! Is that typical of these one-man bleeders? Next time I think I'll wait until my wife gets home...

Jon B

Silver forum user
CAT Member
If it's the vacuum pump type, it helps to put teflon tape on the bleeder screws. Otherwise you end up sucking air in around the threads.

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
makes sense

That would explain the extended bubble-blowing session...it was the vacuum type- thanks for the explanation. Kirk

1966 TGR

Gold forum user
CAT Member
You might want to try speed bleeders, I got them from summit. They are bleeder nipples with oneway check valve. With bleed tube and bottle connected you can pump the pedal without having to open and close the bleeder. You can keep an eye on the bleed tubing for the driver's (left) side. Only challenge is to observe any bubbles on right front, but you can finish that one up when your helper is around. .

KettleCarver

Gold forum user
I have used Speed Bleeders for years on multiple cars. I got a 20' length of surgical tubing and the bleed bag that Speed Bleeders sells on their website. That allows me to sit in the driver's seat and watch for bubbles no matter which wheel I am working on. I highly recommend them.

Marty