Can the outer seal and anti rattle strip be installed with the window in place?

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I'm getting ready to install my windows, doing everything from scratch and wondering if I can install the outer window seal and the inner anti rattle strip after the window is in place. I'm hoping with the window in place and and the lower stop not yet installed, the window can be rolled down low enough to allow the clips and seals to then be installed. It seems to me this would make it a little easier to get the windows in place because things would be more visible and there would be more clearance.

Any experience on this?

TIA

Last edited:

o2bdriving

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I installed the outer seals with the window installed. Used needle nose pliers to install the retaining clips onto the outer door skin before inserting the seal into the clips. FWIW, I had to bend a few of the clips to better hold the rubber seal.

o2bdriving

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Yes to outer, add some strong glue to the inner face of the clips to stop the rubber seal lifting at front and rear especially
100% the seal will lift with the window when it's cold and not pliable. Candidly, I put a small bead of clear rtv along the lip of the outer seal. Helps keep in place and provides water seal.

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks for the replies and tips. If the outer seal can be done, I'm pretty sure I can also do the inner one as well.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Noted that the current aftermarket outer seal lifts easily with the glass. Tried crimping a "tooth" in the clip for better traction and the seal still lifted and actually tore the molded pocket a bit. Syringe with strong glue seemed to hold (so far).

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Noted that the current aftermarket outer seal lifts easily with the glass. Tried crimping a "tooth" in the clip for better traction and the seal still lifted and actually tore the molded pocket a bit. Syringe with strong glue seemed to hold (so far).
The new clips don't seem to have the spring tension to hold the seal. I've kept all the clips taken off of the several cars that I've parted out and those have been used to secure the outer seal on our recent restorations. The slots in the door usually need some work also.

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
I am now to the point of installing the window glass back into the doors. Does the cranking mechanism have to have the mounting screws removed so it can float around in the door to allow the glass to be inserted into the winder tracks, or can it be mounted with the screws and adjusted so the grass can be slid into the two sliding track studs Any advice would be great 😊

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
I am now to the point of installing the window glass back into the doors. Does the cranking mechanism have to have the mounting screws removed so it can float around in the door to allow the glass to be inserted into the winder tracks, or can it be mounted with the screws and adjusted so the grass can be slid into the two sliding track studs Any advice would be great 😊
Is it a one man job ?

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I just got my windows in yesterday. You want the front four screws of the regulator installed but leave the rear four off to be able to pivot the pins that slide in the window track upward (the front pin will be higher) and slide the window into place from front to rear at a downward angle.

I found this writeup to be very helpful - https://www.teae.org/how-to-restore-your-alpine-or-tiger-doors/ It's a two person job but when you follow this, it goes pretty smoothly.

Another wise tip from this was to make sure when putting in the four rear mechanism mounting screws, use the short ones for the upper two so that there is no interference.

From the factory, the front four screws are Phillips head and the rears are slotted.

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
It looks like the wing window and front vertical track has to be removed ? Did you install your window with the front track in place ? Thanks

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
You are correct. Put the rear track in place but leave the front track out until after the window is in. The wing window goes in last.
After following this, I’m convinced this is how it was done on the assembly line. It’s all logical.

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
Wow. It was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. It took me less than 15 minutes to do. I spent a long time putting in the front vertical track yesterday so I did not want to take it out again. I did remove the easy to remove wing window but kept the front track in place I had the rear vertical track in place but only loosely. I did it myself so now the other side should go quickly. Since I put the front track in before the window it made the upper track screw which is not visible more manageable without the window in place. Use a magnetic 5/16 socket to put the lower track screws in.
Now I will put in the outer seal and inner anti rattle strips. The outer seal clips were installed before the window was put in. They are the original clips with no rust and a lot of spring to them. I will use some adhesive on them but I don’t think the strip will pull out when the window is raised.
Thanks for the input.

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
Nicely done. I have brand new paint so I used an abundance of caution and two extra hands.
Did you put the inner furry anti rattle clips onto the door first then insert the anti rattle strip or did you put the clips onto the strip first then install the strip onto the door with the clips already attached? Bear in mind that the window glass is already installed and is at its lowest position.
I am going to insert the outer seal with the quarter window installed and the clips already on the door
Am I missing anything or is this the way to go ?
Thanks

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I Haven't gotten there yet, been out of town. From what I've read, it's best to install the outer seal with the quarter window removed. The quarter windows are easy to remove and install and it gives you better access.

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
I Haven't gotten there yet, been out of town. From what I've read, it's best to install the outer seal with the quarter window removed. The quarter windows are easy to remove and install and it gives you better access.
The outer seal is the easy one. What is the best way to install the inner one I am asking those who have done this ! I don’t have much experience with replicating the mk 2 eyebrow but the British did not seam to have a problem half a century ago and without having the high tech equipment that is available today 😊

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I just finished one door. Hindsight tells me that you should install all of the clips before the glass and put the seals in after the window is installed. Both inner and outer seals can be pushed into place with the window rolled down.

I got the clips and the inner anti rattle strip in with the window already installed but it was obvious that putting the clips in before the glass is the way to go. They have to be pulled upward to install which is not easy with the glass in place.

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
I just finished one door. Hindsight tells me that you should install all of the clips before the glass and put the seals in after the window is installed. Both inner and outer seals can be pushed into place with the window rolled down.

I got the clips and the inner anti rattle strip in with the window already installed but it was obvious that putting the clips in before the glass is the way to go. They have to be pulled upward to install which is not easy with the glass in place.
I appreciate the tip of installing the clips onto the door then putting the inner and outer seals in after. I will tackle it soon

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
FWIW, with the experience of having finished assembling the doors from scratch, this is the order I would use in the future, some learned the hard way. Not everything is critical in this order but I note which ones are. This applies to a MKI and the way the anti rattle strips install on that style. Later cars are probably similar.

1) Latch Mechanism and Dovetail - This is just about impossible with the rear glass channel in place
2) Door Handle & Link to Latch Mechanism - Easy at this point, not so much later on
3) Rear Glass Channel
4) Clips For Outer Seal & Anti-Rattle Strip - These can be done earlier but put them in before the window glass
5) Window Regulator - Start with 4 rear attaching screws only
6) Window Glass - Slide channel over pins on regulator while it can be tipped upward - Now lower regulator into place and install 4 front attaching screws
7) Front Glass Channel - A little dexterity required to get the top outer machine screw in
8) Anti-Rattle strip
9) Outer Glass seal
9) Quarter Window

There is much more detail on adjustments, etc. in the link above

Last edited: