Carpet Clip Locations

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have ordered a Sunbeam Specialties carpet kit for my MKI. SS says there are about 20 carpet clips per car. The only ones I have left are the two at the top of the passenger side false floor. Does anyone have a diagram or description of where they go? The original MKI rear shelf pad has 6 clips so are these included in the 20?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
I have ordered a Sunbeam Specialties carpet kit for my MKI. SS says there are about 20 carpet clips per car. The only ones I have left are the two at the top of the passenger side false floor. Does anyone have a diagram or description of where they go? The original MKI rear shelf pad has 6 clips so are these included in the 20?

Thanks in advance
The mating male part is screwed to the floor so you need to transfer their location to the carpet 20 sounds about right and would include the rear shelf.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The mating male part is screwed to the floor so you need to transfer their location to the carpet 20 sounds about right and would include the rear shelf.
You'll find that most upholstery shops install the part of the snap that goes in the carpet, lay the carpet in place and use a small pointed punch to mark the spot on the floor pan to indicate where the hole needs drilled for the male part of the snap. You may need to trim off the padding on the trans tunnel section following the line where the tunnel is meeting the floor so that there will not be a high ridge where the floor carpet sets over the tunnel carpet.

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks for all the info. I laid down Second Skin insulation but didn't think to transfer the holes. I think it makes sense to put the snaps in the correct locations on the carpet and then drill and attach the receptacles to match as suggested by 65beam.
Tony, you posted a photo of your intact but partially rodent eaten rear shelf pad a while back and that will be a great help in reproducing one.

Last edited:

KenF

Gold forum user
Tony, you posted a photo of your intact but partially rodent eaten rear shelf pad a while back and that will be a great help in reproducing one.
I'm in the process of replacing my Mk1 carpet, and reworking the shelf area and sills with some unbacked 1/8" cut pile. That rear shelf pad would be a tough one to duplicate. It's like a heat seam on the vinyl that also attached a fabric backing. Not sure how they did it, but someone had a machine to spit out rolls of that stuff.

IMG_8352.JPG

IMG_8353.JPG

IMG_8354.JPG

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Back in 2012 I bought this cover from Rick @ Sunbeam Specialties. It was pleated using a heat pleating process. At that time Rick told me it was the last he had in stock and
107_0599.JPG
said the folks that made these for him had closed. He may or may not have found another source but it's worth checking with him.