Clutch Master Rebuild

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hello

I am rebuilding the original clutch MC that was removed from my Tiger when it was restored 20 years ago.I have it disassembled but when removing the spring from the plunger things sort of shot all over the place and I did not get a good look at the orientation of the spacer. I think I have it correct according to the diagram in the WSM…but attached is a photo showing the line up of parts (those are the old rubber pieces.) Just looking for confirmation that I have the parts in the correct order and the spacer correctly oriented before reassembly.

E2F21A85-7034-46F5-B529-CD9D244D06AF.jpeg

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
Hello

I am rebuilding the original clutch MC that was removed from my Tiger when it was restored 20 years ago.I have it disassembled but when removing the spring from the plunger things sort of shot all over the place and I did not get a good look at the orientation of the spacer. I think I have it correct according to the diagram in the WSM…but attached is a photo showing the line up of parts (those are the old rubber pieces.) Just looking for confirmation that I have the parts in the correct order and the spacer correctly oriented before reassembly.

View attachment 16849
Not correct in my eyes

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The sleeve is in the wrong end of the spring. The tang in the sleeve gets pressed down to hold it onto the piston. Then the knob at the end of the small rod at the left goes through the spring and into the sleeve. Orientation is correct on that.
I'm also not sure about the washer/spacer? next to the main seal. Looks like it could be an extra part. Anyone?

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Hello

View attachment 16849
If you honed the bore, or used abrasive of any kind, the master cylinder is now garbage. The bores in aluminum master cylinders are anodized. As soon as that layer is damaged, you have contact between a steel piston and an aluminum bore which sets up electrolytic corrosion. the only proper wat to rebuild ANY alloy bore is to have it sleeved.

I generally will not waste my time, I just order up a new master.

if you have an absolute bent on originality, have the master sleeved. Stainless is best.

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks guys. I had not removed the sleev from the spring and I orientated it incorrectly in my photo. I re positioned a couple items so it looks more like the diagram in the WSM.

Roger on advice from Austin. I have a brand new one sitting on the shelf. This is a good leaning experience, so not really a waste of time for me.

22015D75-A8B7-4350-B8A2-989431782BE0.jpeg

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Look for an exploded vie
Thanks guys. I had not removed the sleev from the spring and I orientated it incorrectly in my photo. I re positioned a couple items so it looks more like the diagram in the WSM.

Roger on advice from Austin. I have a brand new one sitting on the shelf. This is a good leaning experience, so not really a waste of time for me.

View attachment 16851