clutch pilot? bearing or bushing?

eagleman1022

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Just received a new clutch kit from a local store. It contains both a "pilot bushing" and a "pilot bearing". Both look like they would physically fit. What determines which one to use with the standard HEH transmission and 260.
Do I use the standard looking one piece pilot bushing.... or
the "pilot bearing" with needle bearings that ride on the HEH input shaft?

Is there an advantage to using the bearing type? Is it a newer design? I've never seen a roller bearing'd pilot before.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Dust Alert

Just received a new clutch kit from a local store. It contains both a "pilot bushing" and a "pilot bearing". Both look like they would physically fit. What determines which one to use with the standard HEH transmission and 260.
Do I use the standard looking one piece pilot bushing.... or
the "pilot bearing" with needle bearings that ride on the HEH input shaft?

Is there an advantage to using the bearing type? Is it a newer design? I've never seen a roller bearing'd pilot before.

We've taken enough of them apart to form an opinion. The graphite/oil impregnated bronze is a better choice. Clutch dust gets into everything, including those nice polished needle bearings. 2 cents

eagleman1022

Silver forum user
CAT Member
oneoffive... Thanks for your input. That seems to be the general response. Rather than using the 50 year old bushing already installed, I bought a new bronze/oil bushing from O'Reilly Auto Parts. It's a National #PB-50-F that was made in Mexico.

Last edited:

dlyle

Gold forum user
CAT Member
If it's not an Oilite bearing soak it in oil for 24 hours before installing.

eagleman1022

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Bronze bearing

I've decided to use the bronze bearing. In the future, I do not want to have to pull the engine to replace the bearing.