coil overs

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Has anyone ever installed coil overs on the front of their Tiger? If so could you let me know what company you used and do you like them? I like the idea of being able to adjust the ride height perfectly.

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
I put on a set of QA1's a few years ago... you can check them out here...

http://catmbr.org/VB_forum/album.php?albumid=10

I have the top rubber donut cut down and also 'drop' spindles so I can get the car pretty low... even with 24" tires...

IIRC, Theo Smit has some ( different brand ) on his car.. I'm sure there are others...

Jim

B382000446

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Great looking setup, was it easy to install? Would you mind telling me what they run, or could you PM me? thanks.

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
With adjustable shocks, they run about $450 for shocks/springs from Jegs/Summit ... $50 less with NON adjustable shocks... To put that in perspective, the 'club' Edelbrock shocks are $375/4 and Dales springs are $200 a pair...
I used MS301-08375 ... for reference, the shocks are 7 5/8" compressed and 11 " extended . I ended up building a new lower mount that was stronger and it also mounted the shock 1/2" lower... that necessitated extending the shock length. I did that because I had some fears of coil bind at full compression but I suspect I could have just bolted them in without those mods..especially as I ended up cutting the top rubber donut in half for more lowering. I've even heard of guys running NO top donut...:eek:

I think the car rides great!!

When I bought it, the P.O. had hacked ( literally!) 2" off the top of the stock springs to lower the car and then realized it was too much and had added 2 aluminum coil spacers ( each side!) wound in between the coils ... let's just say the ride was 'harsh'!:(

Jim
B382000446

Maliburevue

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Donuts

I also cut down the rubber donut at the top of the spring. The donut is 5/8" thick and I cut off 1/2". I wanted to leave something to give at least some vibration isolation and don't like metal against metal contact.

The A-arm is ~12" long and the donut is ~6" from the fulcrum point, so a 1/2" reduction in the thickness of the donut drops the front end ~1". This doesn't change the spring rate either, so it rides the same as before.

Gary

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
I might have to take my front end apart and see if I have the donuts, my car sits waaaaay high and needs to come down.
On the coil overs, how much adjustment is there in the height? I really need to come down 1.5-2" just to be in the "acceptable" range for me.

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
There's quite a bit of adjustment... I have the bottom of the spring up about 3/4" - 1" I think ... and the 'half' donut, shock mounted 1/2" lower etc. ... I also have Minx spindles which take it down another 7/8" without changing anything else.
I've sourced and sold quite few sets to other Tiger guys... I haven't been able to track any more down for some time but I DO have one set out in the shop ...not cheap though :(
I'll add a pick to show you the difference... and a pic of the car (#18) to show you the stance...I just measured from the center of the wheel straight up to the top of the fender and sighted across...that measurement is 18 3/8" ...

Jim

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Those spindles make a difference, and it would still ride like stock, great idea. I like the car, are those fender lips flared?

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
Ya, I would consider the spindles as the #1 first choice for lowering as they change nothing as far as suspension travel... but very hard to find them...:(

My fenders are very slightly rolled on both front and back... and come out to a knife edge. It allows me to run 245/50 14's in back and 215/60 14's in the front.. wheels are 8" and 7" 3-piece Epsilons... gives the car a very aggressive stance ... with about 400 ponies to back it up ;)

Jim
B382000446

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
What spring rate would you suggest for a street driven car? I looked up the kit, seems to be fairly simple.

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
I used the 375# springs ... Nothing is ever straight forward when modifying a Tiger... lol :rolleyes:
Sent you a PM ...

Jim
B382000446