Coker Vredestein Sprint Classic Tires

Doctorbugz

Bronze forum user
Has anyone had any experience with these tires? They do offer them in 13" sizes, including the ever-unobtainium 205/60-13". My experience with Coker is limited to their antique motorcycle tires, they look correct but perform poorly.
Bugz

Warren

Gold forum user
Status

Did you get them ? Be interested to hear . On TEAE there is a Federal 13 in 205 60 13 discussed.

mwood

Gold forum user
If you show your car, maybe the Coker tires work. I wouldn't want to really drive on them beyond mild cruising speed.

I'm guessing the Federals are the "Formoza", which is not exactly a performance tire, either...if that's a consideration. Federal does make some good tires (I have a set of 205/50-15 595's on my car presently that I've been asked to try) and they are great bang for the buck.

The Toyo RA1 205/60-13 would be my first choice, if I was running 13's, hands down. Yes, they are $150/corner. But, I'm happy to spend extra for good grip on my Tiger :)

edit: It was pointed out that I missed the fact that the Vredstein is not a typical "show tire" and is actually a continuation tire, based on an older tech performance design. So, I was off base in my comments, for sure. I still would run the Toyo, if I was on 13's. There have just been too many improvements to carcass construction and compounds. Only thing, if running grippier tires, items like leaf spring mounts and bushings/ball joint condition become considerations.

Last edited:

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
BugZ

I used them for a few years when I first got my Tiger. Never really pushed them beyond cruising around. I still have them mounted on my 6x13 Cosmic wheels, but am now running 185X70X13 on 5.5 inch LAT 70s. I always thought they provided a nice period look with good performance.

The down side...pricey @ $187 a tire.

Warren

Gold forum user
I'd blame

The guys in the shadows who did not move this to stock or personalized section:rolleyes:. To me period correct would be nice with a spare set of sticky tires to play with.

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hmmm....Two sets of Wheels and Tires

To me period correct would be nice with a spare set of sticky tires to play with.

Warren,
Having two sets of wheels and tires would be nice, if one has room to store one of the sets. I wonder at the upcoming Tigers United if it is OK to use one set of wheels and tires for the autocross and a different set for the concours. Or would that be cheating?

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Warren,
M I wonder at the upcoming Tigers United if it is OK to use one set of wheels and tires for the autocross and a different set for the concours. Or would that be cheating?

Depends if you use the stock jack and brace to change them and if the second set are lat 9 or 70 :D

Warren

Gold forum user
Rules

If the rules do not prohibit it hard to say if it is cheating. Not to left turn this thread but I was talking about a set for playing Ricky race and a set for local pot hole roads and everyday drives. I asked cause I'm looking for a set of 13's for a vintage wheel set and cause the Pannasports bore me, I have had 3 sets of them in all flavors 13" 14" and 15" . I wish they were all on the same car but the sidewall flex and softness helps about town. I would consider the Vredestein but for the price they ask even here in City of Industry Coker outlet probably not.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Warren I have a set of 13x5.5 comics, they are not stateside, but not down here in Australia... If interested email me and I'll do you a deal.. They won't fit over my modified brakes.

Watry

Bronze forum user
I have Vred Classics on two Giulietta Alfas, and used a 165-14 Sprint +80 model on a Giulia Super until the rubber went bad from old age (didn't put a lot of miles on it). Those were the best tires I've ever used. Vreds are very common on classics needing skinny 15" tires.

Andrew

Bugman

Bronze forum user
13" Tires

In a world of decreasing options for 13 inch tires, I have just bought a set of 205/60R13s from Coker. I hope that they will be OK! Just to confirm that these tires are still made by Vredstein (a Dutch Co) and are NOT made by Coker under licence. This may explain the cost at $187 a corner. In the UK they can be had for a little as $120 - 130 each.

I will make a review when I eventually get them fitted. They will replace Kuhmo Solus 185/70R13s. These were cheap, hard-wearing but noisy tires at $50 a corner when fitted 5 years ago.

A review of the online reviews suggests that the Vredsteins are mostly well thought of as a good, reasonably-priced, road (non-performance) tires. The one exception appears to be Healey owners in the UK where some reviews are not great (to put it mildly).

I also looked into buying Fedral tires but had problems obtaining the sizes I wanted. I was told by a supplier in LA that despite what their online catalogue states, getting unusual sizes from Federal is very difficult (may be impossible!). Is that correct? Does anyone know any different?

Bugman