Coming soon !!!!

tigresunbeam

Forum Member
martel.JPG

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hoe do you get 15" wheels on a Sunbeam and still make them look small for the front arches and ride height 😮😦😯... Maybe new springs that need to settle... 😳

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Here's the tag for the above car. It's an obvious reproduction. There should be multiple fonts. The real tell tale is that the zeros in the center of a real vin tag are really a small case letter "O"... that, and the stampings are really bashed into this tag.

martel vin.jpg

Warren

Gold forum user
Should be noted that lots had the hobby of collecting tag photos. Some restorers also made prettier ones, some machine engraved.
Not to mention the Wooden Nickel story in the BoN car cited their reason for the fake tag was so that the current color would match the car. That same car was later seen on BaT auction.

Seems Rob could have done a better job on the tag. Hard to say if it's a Lettraset rub on static cling letters or the current ink printed ones.

Gilles or should I say Tigresunbeam make it easy for us by a link to the auction. A lot of times they require a log in to view and your email address.

As for 15" LAT they just don't have the deep dish look along with the ride height and filling the wheel well.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Another thing that is wrong... The engine number and the color codes weren't gang stamped like the majority of the chassis number and engine code number. The last one or 2 digits of the chassis number is usually "off line" as it was stamped later. The same with the engine number and color code. These were hand stamped and are often slightly tilted with uneven spacing. The fonts for the engine number and color codes and the last one or two chassis numbers are the same. The primary (majority of) chassis numbers and the engine code number used a second (different) font. Lastly the zeros in the middle of the chassis number are actually lower case letters, and not numbers.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
restorer and body panel maker in eastern canada.
I wuzz being facetious. Rob is a very talented fellow who, according to several of our senior brethren, seemed to do things just to prove he could do them and then walk off for something else. After a near decade association, I found the comments to be true. Just sayin'

tigresunbeam

Forum Member
The car belonged to Benoit Martel , from St-Bruno Québec before been sold , not the Rob Martel Panel Beater !!!!! Before been bought by Benoit , the drivetrain number were confirm by Norm , the car when trought a major resto , when i say major , major . and the car was painted white wich is the original color . I have many picture of the car , before , during , and after the resto , . Not been a TAC inspector , would suggest before investing $$$$ , someone look at the car , A lot have been replace !!!

72.JPG

3.JPG

51.JPG

Last edited:

boss-tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Wow - that was a lot of spot welds to drill out for sure, picture above shows someone was not afraid to tackle a pretty big project so also would assume they probably knew what they were doing my guess

KenF

Gold forum user
The production numbers given in that certificate make a Ford/Mustang Marti report look pretty scant ! Yeah, wow on that teardown pic!

Warren

Gold forum user
I'm with Gilles on this the Norm certificate confirms that the drivetrain is the cars lock numbers etc. is worth about as much as the XX lb. paper from Coventry...
But it looks good without a wing and bare in the picture.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Why would you tear apart a car that was fully restored in it's correct color, to paint it a different color?? My MK2 is also a Polar White example, also originally from eastern Canada... A trip to my paint vendor (PPG) shows that Rootes Polar White is a match for Chrysler Corp. Spinnaker White... maybe because Chrysler fully owned Rootes at the time??

canbeam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The car belonged to Robert Martel , from St-Bruno Québec before been sold , not the Rob Martel Panel Beater !!!!! Before been bought by Robert , the drivetrain number were confirm by Norm , the car when trought a major resto , when i say major , major . and the car was painted white wich is the original color . I have many picture of the car , before , during , and after the resto , . Not been a TAC inspector , would suggest before investing $$$$ , someone look at the car , A lot have been replace !!!

View attachment 16559

View attachment 16560

View attachment 16561
Gilles, was that the white one that was in Ontario, that I looked at 40 years ago and tried to buy just for the trim? That car ended up in Quebec. I remember seeing about 100 pictures, maybe 4-5 years ago, of the restoration of a white Tiger in Quebec, and about 80% of the body was replaced? Maybe I am getting them mixed up.

tigresunbeam

Forum Member
Gilles, was that the white one that was in Ontario, that I looked at 40 years ago and tried to buy just for the trim? That car ended up in Quebec. I remember seeing about 100 pictures, maybe 4-5 years ago, of the restoration of a white Tiger in Quebec, and about 80% of the body was replaced? Maybe I am getting them mixed up.
The car was bought in Ontario around year 2000 , yes many body parts were replaced , some frame parts also !!! 310 was the second car that Benoit wanted to buy , Before he went to see car 628 , But origin was questionable ???? So he bought 310. See attached article from Norm Miller about car 628

2.JPG

3.JPG

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The car was bought in Ontario around year 2000 , yes many body parts were replaced , some frame parts also !!! 310 was the second car that Benoit wanted to buy , Before he went to see car 628 , But origin was questionable ???? So he bought 310. See attached article from Norm Miller about car 628

View attachment 16568

View attachment 16569
Wish our lads had gotten a shot at that one fer sure . . . . .

canbeam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I can't remember the Ontario owner's name. She was the only female Tiger owner in our old Ontario Sunbeam Tiger Club, but I have old Club rosters somewhere, and probably could find the name. Purely by coincidence the owner lived beside a friend of mine in Keswick Ontario. The car was white then. I looked at it, probably early 90's, when I was visiting my friend, and it was really rusty, so much so that I considered it a parts car at that time beyond restoration. The guy who restored that car must have spent 100's of hours just fabricating and welding metal. I don't think you could pay a shop to spend the amount of hours to do what was done, and come anywhere close to the return on the car. It was a labour of love I guess.