Crank Pulley clearance?

KenF

Gold forum user
My crank pulley sits about 3/4" behind the rack, and the fan is 1/4" above.

Warren

Gold forum user
That sounds about right I was going to say about a hot dog pinky finger. I'm away from the cars .
Are you having trouble with your pulley?

theo_s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
When I got my Tiger, it had an incorrect deeper crank pulley and the (lack of) clearance was such that the rotating forward edge of the pulley would contact the rack on deceleration. The rack tube had two vertical wear marks, one deep enough to weep oil. Another local Tiger owner happened to have a slightly damaged, but correct depth pulley so I took a chance and banged out the dents... worked great and I subsequently soldered a penny over the hole in the rack tube. The clearance is such that the belt will just barely fit in the gap, I have to push it between the pulley and the rack.

KettleCarver

Gold forum user
Can you take one more measurement? How thick is your harmonic balancer?

Right now I have only about 1/4" to 5/8" clearance of the rack. That does not seem like enough. I believe I may have a Mustang water pump and crank pulley.

Thanks.
When I got my Tiger, it had an incorrect deeper crank pulley and the (lack of) clearance was such that the rotating forward edge of the pulley would contact the rack on deceleration. The rack tube had two vertical wear marks, one deep enough to weep oil. Another local Tiger owner happened to have a slightly damaged, but correct depth pulley so I took a chance and banged out the dents... worked great and I subsequently soldered a penny over the hole in the rack tube. The clearance is such that the belt will just barely fit in the gap, I have to push it between the pulley and the rack.
This sounds like the situation that I have now. The pulley is much deeper than a stock pulley. I was afraid of it contacting the rack like you describe.

I bought a stock Tiger water pump from Sunbeam Specialties. It measures about 1/4" shallower than the one on the car now, which will bring that pulley back 1/4". I also bought a stock crank pulley which is 1 1/2" shallower than the one on the car. I am trying to determine if I can get everything to line up to get the belt on correctly.

I am wondering how much clearance is supposed to be there?

Thanks,

Marty

Warren

Gold forum user
I have two water pump housings at hand . Not sure if they are slightly different, depth wise..
I do recall one being correct for later motors.

KenF

Gold forum user
How thick is your harmonic balancer?
My balancer is 3/4", maybe 25/32". Looks to be about 2 1/2" from the belt to the water pump/timing cover, which is the aluminum open back water pump version.
IMG_6569.JPG

Picture straight up from the back of the damper showing position relative to the 2 water pump bolts and timing marker. It's tucked back in there.
IMG_6570.JPG

Hoghead

Gold forum user
I bought a stock Tiger water pump from Sunbeam Specialties. It measures about 1/4" shallower than the one on the car now, which will bring that pulley back 1/4". I also bought a stock crank pulley which is 1 1/2" shallower than the one on the car. I am trying to determine if I can get everything to line up to get the belt on correctly.
So you have a Tiger crank pulley on a 3 bolt dampner, and Tiger fan pulley on a SS aluminium water pump?
Presumably Rick has already placed the fan flange in the correct position.
Timing cover is early aluminium
If so then water pump and crank should like up fine and in the stock position

Am I missing the problem, or is the generator/alternator in the alignment mix?

KettleCarver

Gold forum user
The problem that I have, is that I have a mixture of parts. I think I have a Mustang water pump, Mustang crank pulley and an alternator. I am going back to stock. I just got the generator and its mounting brackets. I wanted to be sure everything would line up properly before I pulled out the existing water pump.

This morning I figured out where the generator is supposed to go. I mocked up the water pump pulley and eye-balled where the crank pully should go. It seems like it is all going to line up. I guess I won't know for sure until I get it all mounted up though.

It looks like, with the new (stock) crank pulley I will have 3/4" to 1" of clearance from the steering rack. I feel a lot better with that than the existing 1/4".

Thanks for all the help.

Hoghead

Gold forum user
I am not sure that the Mustang crank pulley will work, and to my knowledge the Tiger/Ford industrial single sheave pulley is the only one that properly fits??

There are other water pump pullies that will fit, including the referenced Fairmont one in the Cooling the Sunbeam Tiger paper. - google this if you are not familiar with the paper. One issue that esthetically bothers me is the 2-3 sheave Fairmont or other ford pullies.
Here is a Fairmont size, Tiger spec, pulley in a single sheave design that I made.
I have tried lots of different fan pullies over the decades, and the Fairmont one with the proper fan and pump, seems best for me

There is nothing special about the water pump, and an early aluminium Mustang style will fit, but you have to push the pump flange rearward so that there is about 3-4mm clearance between the flange and pump body. I presume that you have an aluminium 64-5 Mustang timing cover and pump, and if so than all is fine.

The generator is another Tiger specific tale, and not only will you need the Tiger bracket, but a generator with the 1962 Tiger pulley. You can bet by now that the generator has been changed with a rebuilt unit and the proper pulley long gone. Google for the "dime check" to confirm if you have the proper pulley. There are combinations of brackets, pullies and shims that will work, but the easy fix is an alternator conversion. On my spare motor, I addressed all 3 issues with billet aluminium bits that I made - pic attached

P_20170706_153120.jpg

IMG_20190915_113208629.jpg

KettleCarver

Gold forum user
I am not sure that the Mustang crank pulley will work, and to my knowledge the Tiger/Ford industrial single sheave pulley is the only one that properly fits??

There are other water pump pullies that will fit, including the referenced Fairmont one in the Cooling the Sunbeam Tiger paper. - google this if you are not familiar with the paper. One issue that esthetically bothers me is the 2-3 sheave Fairmont or other ford pullies.
Here is a Fairmont size, Tiger spec, pulley in a single sheave design that I made.
I have tried lots of different fan pullies over the decades, and the Fairmont one with the proper fan and pump, seems best for me

There is nothing special about the water pump, and an early aluminium Mustang style will fit, but you have to push the pump flange rearward so that there is about 3-4mm clearance between the flange and pump body. I presume that you have an aluminium 64-5 Mustang timing cover and pump, and if so than all is fine.

The generator is another Tiger specific tale, and not only will you need the Tiger bracket, but a generator with the 1962 Tiger pulley. You can bet by now that the generator has been changed with a rebuilt unit and the proper pulley long gone. Google for the "dime check" to confirm if you have the proper pulley. There are combinations of brackets, pullies and shims that will work, but the easy fix is an alternator conversion. On my spare motor, I addressed all 3 issues with billet aluminium bits that I made - pic attached

View attachment 13529

View attachment 13530
What do you mean by the water pump "flange"? Is that the part that the pulley bolts to? How would you go about pushing it back?

ABSunbeams

Gold forum user
Yes thats the part the pulley bolts to. It can be pressed down with an arbor press (which I have). Or one of the bottle jack press that harbor freight has. The cover needs to come off to support the shaft, if you don’t you could damage the ball bearings in the pump. I believe the flange length is given in the Sunbeam Survivor TEAE.

theo_s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I got one of the Fairmont pulleys from the local autowrecker when I did my initial alternator conversion. Works great, and as I recall, I got proper alignment with no need to re-press the pulley on the water pump shaft. At the time I did that, I scouted all the Fords in the yard at that time and grabbed several different water pump pulleys, both diameter and hat height, so that I could use the one that fit the best.

Warren

Gold forum user
Here's a picture of an end shot of both early and late water pump timing chain cover mounting.

PXL_20210318_151257322.jpg

KettleCarver

Gold forum user
Today I got the chance to install the stock Tiger crank pulley, generator and new water pump. After pressing the water pump flange back about 1/8" everything lined up.

Thanks for all the information and advice.

Marty