Dale's front end?? Have you installed? Can we talk?

67tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I'm getting ready to install a recently purchased front end from Dale's Restorations and would like to talk to someone whose done the same.
It always saves me time and anguish if I can get some of my questions answered before I proceed. Also if you've recently purchased the front end and not installed it I'd love to have a pic of the A-arms, mine differ in appearance from all the images I can find. Thanks in advance for your time and input.
Cheers, Don Lutjen

Jon B

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Hi Don,

I just installed mine last week and am happy to answer questions about it. I can also send photos if you like. PM or e-mail me at Jonb442@aol.com.

-Jon

CLIFF_MK1

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Here's a photo of the one I go several years ago. The plus is the car steers as if on rails. It's a little stiff to turn when not moving or a low speeds (moving car around), but this is made worse with my wheel tire combination (16" low profile). The one thing I don't like is to adjust camber and caster, it is necessary to unbolt the parts, guess how much to adjust, put back together and see where the adjustment is. This increases the time to align the front end and the cost. There are no instructions about how to do this. I know I sound ignorant in describing this problem, but that is because I am. Hope this is helpful, Cliff

Attachments

• EMDales.jpg
    EMDales.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 583

Too Tech

Bronze forum user
Adjustment

My Hokenson front end is the same way. Adjustment is in half turn increments of the Heim Joints. When I did my alignment one quickly becomes familiar with a rough conversion of turns to degrees of alignment change.
Interesting that he chose custom square tubing control arms when round tubing offers lighter strength to weight design. Hokenson used standard pre made round tubing upper and lower control arms. They are even available with rubber bushings for NVH conscience applications.

Warren

Gold forum user
Track width

Can one of you fellas measure the hub to hub track width. From facing of the wheel hub to wheel hub, in inches, on Dale's front end.

67tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Looks like 54 inches hub face to hub face, tough to measure by myself but I measured three times same result...

Warren

Gold forum user
Awesome thanks

I bought a parts car with a Hokanson front end. It was a Hillmann Husky and I picked it for the bits I wanted. The track width was a custom order. I can certainly live with its slightly narrower track width. Thanks for looking and measuring ..

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Might Match the Rear Track

Having a slightly narrower front track may not be bad - it should match better the rear track.

Tweak

Silver forum user
CAT Member
I'm getting ready to install a recently purchased front end from Dale's Restorations and would like to talk to someone whose done the same.
It always saves me time and anguish if I can get some of my questions answered before I proceed. Also if you've recently purchased the front end and not installed it I'd love to have a pic of the A-arms, mine differ in appearance from all the images I can find. Thanks in advance for your time and input.
Cheers, Don Lutjen

I purchased a front suspension from Dale at the start of my restoration project. I haven't installed it yet, as the car is not ready, but I do speak with Dale with some frequency and asked him about any changes. He responded that they did make a change in how the A arms are welded, but nothing else. He also told me costs have risen and the price has or is increasing $300.

FDubIrl

Bronze forum user
I'm contemplating upgrading my shocks to Koni presently. Also replacement springs to front and possibly changing to rear also. NO doubt I'll want to update brakes at some future time also.

Before I do down this road of tweaking original (which is still going to result in a pretty compromised end result) could someone give me an indication of the overall cost of swapping out the front end like this? I appreciate it's going to be highly dependent on local shop prices etc. but I'd just like an overall handle in terms of the parts cost and the installation cost.

Please feel free to send me a PM if you're not comfortable spilling the beans here in public.

Thanks in anticipation.

Tweak

Silver forum user
CAT Member
I'm contemplating upgrading my shocks to Koni presently. Also replacement springs to front and possibly changing to rear also. NO doubt I'll want to update brakes at some future time also.

Before I do down this road of tweaking original (which is still going to result in a pretty compromised end result) could someone give me an indication of the overall cost of swapping out the front end like this? I appreciate it's going to be highly dependent on local shop prices etc. but I'd just like an overall handle in terms of the parts cost and the installation cost.

Please feel free to send me a PM if you're not comfortable spilling the beans here in public.

Thanks in anticipation.

In replacing with Dale's front, coil over shocks, and brakes you are talking about approximately $7K in parts and shipping. Parts only. No labor.

You would likely need new wheels too if you are bumping rotor size.

For specifics give Dale a call. He's fun to chat with too.

FDubIrl

Bronze forum user
Thanks Tweak.

Decisions, decisions! It would seem a shame to do all that and not end up with bigger brakes so yes, probably wheels would be required as mine are 14"s.

Shipping, in my case, would also be to EU so additional costs and taxes in that regard I 'm sure.

Anyone get the installation done at a shop can give a rough estimate of installation costs?

Ciaran.

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Seeing I have not seen it mentioned, I'll point out the mounting bolt holes have very limited movement/clearance.

The original front crossmember has fairly generous mounting hole clearance in comparison.

So it's a good idea to prefit the front Crossmember if you have the engine out.

BTW, It a good idea to check the fit of ANY crossmember that has not been on the car before.... not all cars/crossmembers have been down the same "roads"....:eek:

alsalp

Bronze forum user
I bought a parts car with a Hokanson front end. It was a Hillmann Husky and I picked it for the bits I wanted. The track width was a custom order. I can certainly live with its slightly narrower track width. Thanks for looking and measuring ..

I wish someone would reproduce Mike's discontinued suspension

Warren

Gold forum user
Funny thing

I was just talking about selling on the Hokanson front end as part of my downsizing program.

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
How did you run your brake lines?

I got an early Christmas present last week - one of Dale's front suspensions! I drove down to his shop to pick it up and ducked $400 or so in shipping charges. The parts box has the brake hoses and flared fittings, but I am not sure the best way to run the crossover line. I saw a picture on Dale's website but the mounting bracket seems to be mounted differently. I saw in the picture that Cliff posted that he had connection tee on the left side. I thought about doing that too as I will be putting in a dual circuit MC, but my concern is interference with the oil cooler lines and steering linkage. If you have one of Dale's front suspensions, what did you do? Any tips or suggestions on brake plumbing?
Comments and pictures appreciated!
Cheers, -Kevin

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Dale's Front ENd

Have you asked Dale? I would think he has installed more of his front ends than anyone else out there. Or is he MIA?

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Have you asked Dale? I would think he has installed more of his front ends than anyone else out there. Or is he MIA?

I have not... I didn't want to bug him on a Sunday, and my kitchen pass was only good for today!.
I was able to bolt the suspension into my project Tiger and that will give me an idea of where to place things. I also learned that I will need a thread chaser to make sure my threaded mounting tubes are cleaned out on the top left side where the steering trunion mount bolts in.
I only hope the crossmember bolts in my driver Tiger as easily, but realistically I am not optimistic.
-Kevin

Attachments

• IMG_6879.jpeg
    IMG_6879.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 179

Jon B

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Hi Kevin,

Awesome present! On mine I ran the lines pretty close to the way they are in the picture on Dale's website. Which bracket is different? I have a dual master and ran the line under the frame to connect to the tee for the front brakes. I don't have a cooler but don't think there would be issues with interference. I can take some pictures if you like but since everything's assembled it may be hard to get good shots. You're more than welcome to come look at it if you happen to be in the SFO area. I'm also happy to come down and lend a hand if you need one. My e-mail address is on the first page of this thread.

Edit: I snapped a photo of the junction at the left front. Line is 3/4" away from the header tube. The connection at the right side is similar.

-Jon

Attachments

• IMG_0140.JPG
    IMG_0140.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 121
Last edited: