Dealer option 260 HIPO

Warren

Gold forum user
so

Why would you make a 260 conversation piece in another thread?
If you wanted to be bored I would suggest bowling on TV.
:)

Oh I see on last page you are " " the article.

Bob Knight

Gold forum user
CAT Member
260 4

64 1/2 Mustangs were also available with the VIN D code 260 4 barrel. I think the HP was 210 - not nearly as hot a motor as the 260 "Cobra" 4 barrel offered for the Tiger. I had one for many years, probably the rarest early Mustang motor out there. Funny thing kind of related to the thread on the Canada eBay Tiger, when I restored the D code Mustang, after having had it for over 10 years as a daily driver and never noticing anything, we stripped it and it became obvious that at some point the entire car had been cut in half at the rear of the doors, over the roof in front of the rear window, and a new back half welded on it! Body work was fitted and finished so well we'd never suspected a thing before removing the interior.
Bob Knight
B9471705

Erich

Gold forum user
Sorry Bob,

Mustang engine code D was a 4V 289. Compression was lower than the A code 289 that came out in 65.

Erich
Mustang geek since 1977

Bob Knight

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Memories...

Sorry for my mental lapse... all I can plead is "it was a long time ago".
Bob K.

Tigerdreamer

Bronze forum user
Interesting thread

Reading through this thread I see where someone mentioned a dealer window sticker that may or may not have mentioned a 289. Does anyone have a copy of this sticker that they may share with me?

Also, is there any way to figure out the dealership a Tiger was originally sold out of?

Thanks!

Tigerdreamer

Bronze forum user
Slypops

Thanks for posting! That is exactly what I wanted to see. Was curious as to what something like this looked like.

JB66CAT

Gold forum user
FWIW

The special rally version of the 260 Falcon and Comet and early AC Cobra sports cars used a high-performance version of the 260ci with higher compression, hotter camshaft timing, and a four-barrel carburetor. This engine was rated (SAE gross) 260 hp (194 kW) @ 5800 rpm and 269 lb·ft (365 N·m) @ 4800 rpm. This engine was termed the HP-260 by Ford and was specifically made for Carroll Shelby – approximately 100 were made.
~wiki

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The very early cobras were 260's but switched to 289 very quickly once available... I'm sure the actual number would be easy to find out. Also the new continuation mki are the batch with apparently NOS 260 as discussed recently in another thread

tigerracer

Silver forum user
I always thought a hipo 260 engine was someones wishful thinking, until I had the chance to rebuild the engine in Martin Wildgoose's rally car. Removed the oil pan and low and behold thick main caps just like a hipo 289. I immediately thought they were added by somebody, but further inpection showed no sign of"aftermarket" machining. The motor had hipo rods and crank, similar or the same as a hipo 289 and cast pistons. Of course I had to measure the bore, 3.800 it was. Upon further inspection, I found the Shelby numbering on the block, which made sense, as he supplied the engines to Rootes. So, they do exist!

Onehot69

Bronze forum user
I've seen a few articles that mention Tigers with a dealer installed 245 BHP 260 engine.

While I've seen plenty of owner modified engines, I've never seen a Tiger with a dealer installed 260 HIPO engine.

Just curious, has anyone encountered such a beast?

Here's a link to an article mentioning this engine option:

http://news.boldride.com/2013/12/the-sunbeam-tiger-the-other-shelby/40204/

The Tiger I made its debut in 1964. Equipped with a 260 cubic inch Ford V8 and Ford twin-choke carb, the car was capable of 164 horsepower in most versions. Some dealers offered an optimized model that could turn out 245 horses for an additional $250 ...
I just asked this question on FB. Some guy named Randy Willett laughed at me and said no! Can some one help me I’d the motor in my car? It might be this option. I have my suspicions. It’s an early car. Thx in advance.

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
My understanding is that Ford did not make HiPo 260 engines, only 289s. The Sunbeam dealers in the US (maybe in Canada, too) had parts (LAT) that were the same as what came on the HiPo 289. These parts includes the lifter and cam and dual point distributor. Other performance LAT options included a Holley 4-bbl and Edelbrock F4B highrise intake manifold. Another LAT option were a set of headers with a side out from the collector for the exhaust pipe to hook up to. All HiPo 289 engines have K code blocks.

To ID your engine, you would need to find and note the casting number on the block. It's location is on the right hand side of the block, just above the starter.

Onehot69

Bronze forum user
My understanding is that Ford did not make HiPo 260 engines, only 289s. The Sunbeam dealers in the US (maybe in Canada, too) had parts (LAT) that were the same as what came on the HiPo 289. These parts includes the lifter and cam and dual point distributor. Other performance LAT options included a Holley 4-bbl and Edelbrock F4B highrise intake manifold. Another LAT option were a set of headers with a side out from the collector for the exhaust pipe to hook up to. All HiPo 289 engines have K code blocks.

To ID your engine, you would need to find and note the casting number on the block. It's location is on the right hand side of the block, just above the starter.
I will take a look in the morning. Thank you!

Warren

Gold forum user
Randy AKA 0neoffive has got some sense of humor.
I wouldn't take his jibe seriously. Once you get the oil pan off you'll see that it's a STD. engine. But there's several other external things. I didn't see any of them but it was cool seeing the bend in the vacuum advance line, water temp sender, and other original bits. The build date is on the driver's side cylinder head deck. It's likely hidden in schmutz.