Difficulty Selecting Gears

Brigand

Silver forum user
The gear change on my Tiger is very good, and it shifts very sweetly. However, when I come out of reverse, I have great difficulty selecting any forward gears. To do so I have discovered the ‘trick’ is to pull the gear lever out of reverse very quickly and straight into a forward gear. Unless I do this, eight times out of ten I can’t get any gear but reverse.

Is this a known problem, and if so how do I fix it?

I’ve checked the clutch hydraulics and the alignment of the gear select mechanism and they seem fine. Thanks.

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Shifter box rebuild.

196936_1651187445191_1402147496_31367275_7591853_n.jpg

207914_1651187885202_1402147496_31367277_1178009_n.jpg

Bill Heeley did the rebuild for $125. A great deal. He services all toploader shifters.

His contact - 301 774 6710

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Shifty Dilemma

As Duke pointed out, a good shifter box re-hab will cure most ills. Once in a while, adjusting a bit of "gain" on the reverse rod (not much, mind you) will compensate for some internal countershaft & idler wear. After these basic bandaids are tried, things get a bit more dramatic $$$$.

Warren

Gold forum user
If you can't find it

Grind it....
Normal? Going into reverse always grinds, unless the trans is shifted into 1st before. Or since the car has no choke she usually stalls and then I start her in gear.
Ha Ha my first break down in the car was the long rod cotter pin dropped the rod and it tinkled and took a little bend grinding on the pavement until the car rolled to a stop. Had to go home 2 miles away get a floor jack to set the bent arm back on an go home in 1st. Went home beat it straight on the vise works now with the same question above. I am guessing it is normal to align the synchros but 1st then reverse, comments welcome.

The fun of others sloppy work, when the car was up prior did not notice no cotter pin......Dohhhhh

XTIGERX

Gold forum user
Same here. I always back the car in from a stop in the middle of the street when the traffic clears. I've done the same, shut the engine down, reverse, restart. Or the quick 1st, reverse thing. But I've also noticed if I give it a few seconds to stop spinning it generally slips right in. Also sometimes it seems like just another little extension of my leg or foot beyond the norm and I'll find a little more peddle travel.

tiger260

Gold forum user
Rust-Oleum, Engine Enamel, 248946 Old ford Blue. Got it at Auto Zone.

Thanks for info Duke. Much appreciated.
Is this the paint that everyone uses to paint their engines over there?

If so, all I have to do now is find someone in the UK who can supply it.

Apols to Brigand for interupting your thread.