Disc Brake Caliper Rebuild

DCTiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have tore down the calipers, cleaned/painted, and am now ready to install the SS SS pistons. I have tried to push the pistons in with the new rubber and am having no luck. The bores are good and I have taken out the bleeder screw and the hose to make that there is no pressure build up to keep them from going in.. How much pressure/strength to put the pistons in or is there a trick to it. I have lubricated the rubber with brake fluid.

Thanks,

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Let me get this clear...
You installed the rubber seal into the groove in the caliper first?
Then you lubricated the edge of the seal before you inserted the piston into the caliper's bore?

bt
at the beach

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
No Tricks

I have tore down the calipers, cleaned/painted, and am now ready to install the SS SS pistons. I have tried to push the pistons in with the new rubber and am having no luck. The bores are good and I have taken out the bleeder screw and the hose to make that there is no pressure build up to keep them from going in.. How much pressure/strength to put the pistons in or is there a trick to it. I have lubricated the rubber with brake fluid.

Thanks,

We do a lot of them. A properly seated bore seal and installed dust cover should offer mild resistance, but, no more than firm thumb pressure is ever needed. Rocking the piston to get it started in a circular motion helps. I assemble with a thin coating of red rubber grease in case they are going to sit around for a while.

DCTiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
More specifics

Let me get this clear...
You installed the rubber seal into the groove in the caliper first?
Then you lubricated the edge of the seal before you inserted the piston into the caliper's bore?

bt
at the beach

Yes I put both seals in: inner and dust boot, because you will not be able to put them in after the piston is installed. Then I put brake fluid on the rubber parts and then inserted the piston. Should I have put grease on instead? I tried to find that Girling grease at a local British car repair and parts place and they did not have it so I went by the manual and it said to lubricate with brake fluid. Will the fluid swell the seal/rubber?

I'm now thinking that I may not have sealed the inner seal into the groove. I just pushed it in with my fingers, should I have used more force to push it further into the groove?

Thanks,

Last edited: