Door seal

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Can someone post a picture of how the door seal end is finished at the top of the windshield frame. I have the proper seal ad the little rubber end cap that fits over the pinchweld and finishes of the fabric cover component of the seal. I need to see how the actual rubber bulb seal is terminated.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Can someone post a picture of how the door seal end is finished at the top of the windshield frame. I have the proper seal ad the little rubber end cap that fits over the pinchweld and finishes of the fabric cover component of the seal. I need to see how the actual rubber bulb seal is terminated.
The original style of seal is a cloth covered furflex with a rubber flap attached. The furflex with the tube is not correct for either Tigers or Alpines. The original profile is shown on plate F - section YX of the parts book.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The original style of seal is a cloth covered furflex with a rubber flap attached. The furflex with the tube is not correct for either Tigers or Alpines. The original profile is shown on plate F - section YX of the parts book.
I think you have the wrong seal. Sean said he knows how the furflex one on the pinch weld is finished with the rubber cap.

I think he is referring to the rubber seal that wraps under the door opening and is riveted onto the screen frame.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have a friend with an unrestored cross body MkI. The seals were all original when we started to recommision it in. 2012... I can't recall if he ended up replacing the seals on the screen side.. they were all dry... I'll ask.

Otherwise there was an original light blue Tiger on FB the family were going through before sale that had all original seals.. might be pics there... It went on BaT after some work

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-sunbeam-tiger-46/

But there were detail pics .. maybe @DD (CA) might also have pics of his father's car pre re-commission

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I think you have the wrong seal. Sean said he knows how the furflex one on the pinch weld is finished with the rubber cap.

I think he is referring to the rubber seal that wraps under the door opening and is riveted onto the screen frame.
My suggestion is to check the pictures on page 20 in the Sunbeam Specialties catalog or pull out an original parts book. The seal that was fitted to the windshield frame was a flap style ( shown in the Rootes part book on Plate F - Section YX as number 128) . Original seals at time of production were not a tube. The seal that pushed onto the pinch weld and runs down to the sill is number 319. That was also a flap style seal with the furflex part being cloth covered and was riveted near where it turns under the body / windshield. If not riveted it will pop loose. This piece is the one that had the metal cut out at the top with the cloth being tucked down into the area where the metal was removed. This allowed the cap ( number 336 ) to be pushed down and secured to the pinch weld covering the top of the furflex. I do have a set of original red NOS seals stashed away in the shop as well as the original pieces that were on my green car. I can take a photo some time.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Original seals at time of production were not a tube. The seal that pushed onto the pinch weld and runs down to the sill is number 319. That was also a flap style seal with the furflex part
Again Bob.. didn't say it had a tube seal.. not taking about the furflex seal with the blade rubber....

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I guess I'll post a pic in the morning... so that there will be no doubt as to the visual picture...

o2bdriving

Gold forum user
CAT Member
In case these are what you're looking for. I replaced these so may be correct or I'll learn from y'all. Combo of rivet and slotted screw

PXL_20230406_124145568.jpg

PXL_20230406_124154728.jpg

PXL_20230406_124201241.jpg

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Is this the area in question? If so, mine may be original but it appears to be missing the 'bulb'.

IMG_1232.JPG

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Is this the area in question? If so, mine may be original but it appears to be missing the 'bulb'.

View attachment 17400
Not the original..the original is furflex and had a blade seal and went up the screen. The rubber cap finisher goes on the top of the seam at the top of the screen.

Also I assume Sean is reffering to the seal shown in @o2bdriving post which is the one I referred to.

Sean's post asks how it finished at the top of the screen.. the thread got the usual confusion causesd by the usual suspect....

DD (CA)

Gold forum user
CAT Member
"If only I could go back and do it again..." Hundreds upon hundreds of pictures, but always excruciating when you're missing just the right angle / view / perspective... Anyway

For those that don't know the car's background. Original owner (dad's) car, B382...428 (crossover MKiA), has been touched in some obvious ways, while NOT touched in others (interior was largely untouched; steering wheel and shift knob replaced, otherwise during tear down I could confirm original seals, fasteners, paint, tape, factory markings). Dad painted Porsche yellow (914 can am edition maybe) over the Med blue exterior, while masking and leaving everything in place (~1976). Blue remaining under windshield (nee windscreen) seals, dash, seats, back shelf upholstery, behind gas tanks, vinyl soft top cover in trunk, etc.

Here is the drivers side seal, showing both the pinch weld rubber bulbed with fur flex piece, which continues from bottom of door opening to top (looking for better picture there..I KNOW thats what we're looking for), and the windscreen to quarter window rubber seal. This piece has an internal metal piece and a rubber bulbous 'flap.' You can see two rusty screws holding that piece to the windscreen frame. The replacement pieces (that I have anyway), are not good repops, using a foam vs. rubber and they've also already degraded significantly (over 5 years). I still have the originals on hand.

More pics on the website...but not better for this purpose. Searching others...

Screen Shot 2023-04-06 at 10.40.43 AM.png

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
"If only I could go back and do it again..." Hundreds upon hundreds of pictures, but always excruciating when you're missing just the right angle / view / perspective... Anyway

For those that don't know the car's background. Original owner (dad's) car, B382...428 (crossover MKiA), has been touched in some obvious ways, while NOT touched in others (interior was largely untouched; steering wheel and shift knob replaced, otherwise during tear down I could confirm original seals, fasteners, paint, tape, factory markings). Dad painted Porsche yellow (914 can am edition maybe) over the Med blue exterior, while masking and leaving everything in place (~1976). Blue remaining under windshield (nee windscreen) seals, dash, seats, back shelf upholstery, behind gas tanks, vinyl soft top cover in trunk, etc.

Here is the drivers side seal, showing both the pinch weld rubber bulbed with fur flex piece, which continues from bottom of door opening to top (looking for better picture there..I KNOW thats what we're looking for), and the windscreen to quarter window rubber seal. This piece has an internal metal piece and a rubber bulbous 'flap.' You can see two rusty screws holding that piece to the windscreen frame. The replacement pieces (that I have anyway), are not good repops, using a foam vs. rubber and they've also already degraded significantly (over 5 years). I still have the originals on hand.

More pics on the website...but not better for this purpose. Searching others...

View attachment 17401
In's NOT the outer seal that's attached with screws, it's the INNER seal that gets installed over the pinch weld.

What I need to see is the very TOP of the seal where it terminates at the top of the w/s frame. There is a rubber cap that is fitted to finish off the woven part of the seal... how does the rubber part get finished at the top. is it a bulb type seal, or a flap type seal

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
Sean
I just finished installing mine and the old one just ran up to the top of the pinch weld. It had no special termination fixing. The other end had the fur flex part notched off and the bulb hooked under the aluminum step plate Too bad I just threw that old seal away so can’t show you a picture of it.

DD (CA)

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Pic worth a thousand words (even when repeating what some here have already stated. ;-) Attached in an image of Doug's former VERY original MKIA. Images confirm my recollection of the top furflex and bulb simply being open, with final cap on top of pinch weld (I could use one original if anyone had one...). The "OUTER" blade rubber which is secured with screws, also had a cut angle on top, but is otherwise "unsealed". A further note that the inner, with fur flex, does have at least one rivet holding at the big bend at belt line fwiw...

Pics should be large enough to zoom in, but if whole file needed...let me know...

Dougs.MKIA.Seals.jpeg

Dougs.MKIA.Seal.TopEnd.jpeg

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
In's NOT the outer seal that's attached with screws, it's the INNER seal that gets installed over the pinch weld.

What I need to see is the very TOP of the seal where it terminates at the top of the w/s frame. There is a rubber cap that is fitted to finish off the woven part of the seal... how does the rubber part get finished at the top. is it a bulb type seal, or a flap type seal
There wasn't a finisher for the top of the rubber seal. The rubber section of the furflex was a flap that will tuck in behind the flap of the seal secured to the windshield frame. This makes it look like a tube. If you check the parts book you'll find that both the seal on the windshield and the furflex that clipped onto the pinch weld originally were handed and have different part numbers for the left side and the right side. The cap covered the cloth piece but since the rubber seal attached to the furflex moves due to the wing window pushing against the flap on the piece attached to the windshield Rootes must have determined that there wasn't a solution to seal the top of the rubber attached to the furflex. I have some old original furflex that has maybe an inch or more of the bottom cloth covered section cut off where it bottoms out on the sill pinch weld which allowed the rubber flap to hang down over the sill and allowed the rubber flap to hang down to channel water out instead of running inside the car. There was not a rubber seal attached to the furflex running from front to back on the sill pinch weld. I couldn't take photos today because the batteries in my camera are on charge.

KenF

Gold forum user
This rubber on a clip thingy at the top? I didn't take a pic installed with the original Furflex, which I just replaced a few weeks ago.

IMG_8371.JPG

IMG_8373.JPG

IMG_8374.JPG

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The rubber caps have been reproduced. You need to reuse the old clip. I used epoxy to glue the clip to the rubber. I don't think anyone is making the original style furflex and weather stripping. I used to buy these items from Martin McGregor in Canada but I haven't seen mention of him recently. He was a trim engineer at the Lynwood plant prior to retirement and moving to Canada. He once told me on a phone conversation that he worked on several marque projects. The last time I bought from him was when myself and an owner in Cincinnati were each doing the restoration of our Harringtons and he made the weather stripping for both cars. I believe this was in 2018. I ordered an extra set for my stock so I have that. He also made the seals for my series 4 when Doug @ Tiger Auto was doing the restoration around 2013. I do have the invoices and I have his number stashed away so if anyone wants to try calling him, let me know and I'll dig it out.

Last edited: