Down Pipes for Tiger Tri Y's

kenmat

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Did CAT or Dan Walters ever create workable downpipes that fit the Tiger Tri Y's cast exhaust manifolds.
Was that in recent times.. and are they available anywhere??

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I believe Dan was considering doing them but am not sure what became of it. I'm pretty sure CAT has never done them due to the low numbers of Tri-Ys ever produced.
I installed them on my car and had my exhaust shop fabricate the down pipes.

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Clearly, the need is still there but the challenge is just what to do.

Making finished down pipes is not likely.

Not enough demand and too many variables, between original, repos

and what people want.

BUT some projects are in the works that need pipes.

So we will see.

DW

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I believe the downpipes are the hardest to find parts needed for the Tri-Y setup. The manifolds and hangers have been reproduced but to my knowledge, the downpipes never have been. Because of this I had mine fabricated.

They are not the most difficult exhaust fabrication project but typical of a Tiger, there are clearance challenges.
Even though the special exhaust hanger is required for the passenger side, the driver side front connection is the most cramped.
The other three connections are not too bad.
Another thing to remember is on the passenger side the rear pipe must angle a little forward to clear and allow removal of the starter.
Although fabrication could be done out of the car with the manifolds bolted to a head, it would be risky because of these challenges, I decided to install the manifolds and have the car towed to the exhaust shop.

Attached is a photo taken of mine during the process

IMG_3711.jpg