Dual Circuit Brakes

Tucker

Bronze forum user
Hello Gentleman!

I realize much has been discussed on this topic and there exists different options, but I was hoping to tap into some knowledge and perhaps get some advice as it relates specifically to my situation.

I am in the process of upgrading my braking system and have purchased Dale's Wilwood 12'' front disc brake package and have mated this to his 11" rear disc brake kit. I wish to eliminate the the brake booster and move to a dual/tandem master cylinder.

Any ideas on what MC might work best in this situation and provide for a close to stock type pedal feel?

Many thanks!

Tucker

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
When I bought my Tiger, it had 11" Porsche rotors and 4 piston Wilwoods on the front ( 1 3/4" bore ) and 11" Porsche 914 rotors and calipers on the back. The P.O. stated that it had dual circuit brakes. I bought the car sight unseen ( only pics ) and found that it had an old Datsun truck dual circuit MC and the two lines were joined just under the MC with a 'T' and carried on to the stock single circuit lines !! LOL
I called Dale as I knew that what he was selling at the time might be more or less equivalent to what I had and he suggested about a 15/16" bore MC.

I ended up buying one for a 1979 Datsun 280ZX that has a 15/16" bore and the bleeders are on the engine side. I reused the homemade clevis that the P.O.had made .. basically a threaded bolt with the head cut off and rounded with a 'u' shaped bracket at the pedal end ( adjustable because of the bolt thread ). I also added a Wilwood proportioning valve on the rear circuit. The front line runs down the left side of the car and connects to a 't' that feeds the LF caliper and then across the cross member to feed the RF.

Works great with a nice pedal feel !

Jim
B382000446

Bob Knight

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Dual circuit M/C

I have the Wilwood disc brakes from Dale on all four wheels, I used the 74 Ford Courier Master Cylinder, contrary to what I've seen on other posts here it was not hard to find one, ordered it from Summit. Bolted right on, but had to turn down the push rod a tiny bit so it would fit in the Courier cylinder. I had to make a couple adaptors to go to the AN fittings used on the Wilwood brake lines, but it was no big deal, got a pipe to AN adaptor and tapped out the hole on the Master Cylinder, and screwed in the adaptor with red Loctite. Brake pedal pressure is very reasonable, you definitely do not need power brakes. In my guestimation, the pedal pressure required is less than the stock Tiger with power brakes. We actually had to put on two brake pedal return springs, as just the pedal weight makes a little drag on the brakes. Dale showed me a car with the modified brake pedal that moves the fulcrum point for less pedal pressure, I didn't feel it was at all necessary with the Courier cylinder. We did notice that there was a measureable amount of firewall flex when someone really stood on the brake pedal, I plan to make a small stiffner to go between the front wheel well brace mounting bolt and the divot in the back of the master cylinder for extra support.
Bob Knight
B9471705
B9471929

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
Being as you are using Dale's kits both front and rear... you might as well call him for advice on the MC... I've found him very helpful anytime I've called...

(909) 799-2099

Jim
B382000446

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Push Hard Or Push Harder

Hello Gentleman!

I realize much has been discussed on this topic and there exists different options, but I was hoping to tap into some knowledge and perhaps get some advice as it relates specifically to my situation.

I am in the process of upgrading my braking system and have purchased Dale's Wilwood 12'' front disc brake package and have mated this to his 11" rear disc brake kit. I wish to eliminate the the brake booster and move to a dual/tandem master cylinder.

Any ideas on what MC might work best in this situation and provide for a close to stock type pedal feel?

Many thanks!

Tucker

We've done as many of these as everyone else, but I personally prefer the Subaru 3/4" tandem for both the easy pedal and the fact that it's moving the same amount of fluids to both front & rear. My 2 pennies worth. . . . .;)

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Guys,

I'm always interested in the dual MC posts.. but one thing i note is nobody ever posts part numbers. That would be helpful give the amount of variables in the various cars and the fact that some of the source cars are getting older now.

Might be good to have 197X Datsun 260Z part #: XXXXX that way people can buy the willwood equivalent or just ask over the counter at a parts store.. rather than them saying.. what year datsun 260.. or which type etc...

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
O.K. ...

Raybestos part # MC39277 Centric part # 13042604 I can't vouch for accuracy as I (just now) looked it up on the internet like everyone else would... by year, Make Model... :rolleyes:

I got mine from a Datsun specialty shop IIRC but can't recall who they were except they were in Washington state and I believe mine is an OEM part ...
I just asked for a 15/16" bore ( per Dale's rec. )... bleeders on the right and vertical ears... and they just kept opening boxes until they found what I wanted... all over the phone ! Try that at Pep Boys... lol

Not sure if there is a Wilwood equivalent... look it up !
There seems to be a WIDE variety of bore sizes that guys use which must have dramatically different pedal feel.. all I can say is how mine is... YRMV

LIke I said.. if you're using all Dale's stuff... ask Dale...

Jim

B382000446

Tucker

Bronze forum user
Thank you for the input. I have spoke to Dale and he was (as always) very forthcoming with input. He suggested a Wilwood MBC coupled with a modified pedal assemble (Tom Hall). I just wanted to see what other option might be available and what others have found successful...or not.

I have heard/read about the NABCO 79-81 Datsun 280zx MBC with 15/16" bore, but understand that they are hard to come by and expensive. I believe the Suburu 3/4" bore is also difficult to source.

I will do a bit more homework on the Ford Courier MC!

Thanks again for the assistance and I will be happy to provide a follow up message once I have successful made the conversion....

Best regard,

Tucker