Dynamat

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
Anyone used Dynamat to reduce road noise and heat transfer on the floor and firewall of there Tiger

There is the Extreme for sound control and Dynaliner for heat. I thought I would use the extreme on the Firewall, floors and inner door skins. Then use the dynarliner on the firewall and floor to stop heat.

Just wondering if someone has had experiance with the product.
Cheers Mal

http://www.dynamat.co.nz/

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
I used it in the last street rod I built--it worked great for me. I have some for the Tiger too when I change the carpet this winter, worth the money.

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
There are a couple of cheaper products out there but this one works the best
in my opinion. Reduces noise and does a good job with heat transfer and once it's down it's not coming off easy so water won't rot your floors out.
Here's a picture of 960 with the stuff installed

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
Thanks for the replies. I had read it's praises in magazines. Sounds as though it is as good as claim. I will go ahead and order some.
Cheers.

pappentl

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Do you have any other interior shots showing how high the Dynamat goes up the firewall? I'm doing the same thing and it's been 20+ years since I took it apart. TIA.

Tom
'65 mk1

DD (CA)

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Dynamat Lite and Dynalite install

I had planed on doing this all along, but was nice to find a thread on others' work. Moondoggie's install is very similar to mine, looks like we made some of the same choices for where to place it. I plan to be a bit more..uh, creative...and extensive with the dynamat. Any remaining scraps will be placed up in the firewall and underdash area. This may irk any pesky review at a later date, but decades ago I found that this stuff is GREAT and the more of it the better...excepting the added weight.

What I did...

Clear sealed a number of seams around the floor and dash areas. (Looks white initially). Some of the sand from the blasting may be encapsulated under it, and this would be an additional barrier to moisture penetration, etc. If someone wishes to re-blast / re-dip the car in 2050, go for it. This should help get it there and beyond.

Dynamat lite (blue) around floor pans, sometimes doubling or tripling up in the structural / indents / stiffeners in the floor to level the floor a bit more. I'm trying to punch holes in all areas where carpet posts should be, but finding this to be a real bear. Already know I've work around for console holes and for driver's side carpet posts, which I need to go back and find. Worst case, crawl under car and poke through.

Dynalite (1/4") over firewall / clutch / trans to shift area. Easier to work with this, even though thick, will stretch compared to the tar stuff (blue). I can tell that this stuff will be good. Whether its temperature claims will be met is another issue. Also curious if the adhesive will withstand the high temp. Again, it claims ability. Will run it into underdash to replace the foam sisal / wool padding which was removed. I have some, and could aesthetically cover some of the newer stuff for period appearance.

NOTE: Heater core area recondition and scuttle vent attach using both materials a bit more creatively. Will post on that soon.

P. Scofield

Black arm band member RIP
DD,
I see you have no dash pad yet. Don't forget to drill some small pilot holes from the top before you put the pad on so you can find your stud holes!

:)

P. Scofield

Black arm band member RIP
I put a piece of dynamat in the doors of my alpine and one piece in each wing behind the gas tanks.
I put the foiled backed stuff on the floor and I'm not really happy with it. Very hard to do carpet snaps with anything thick.

DD (CA)

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Steering wheel story

According to mum...

"The Tiger came to the dealer with a black plastic wheel. Dad was PO'd to the extent that he didn't pick it up immediately and the dealer swapped it out for the wood one in there, making him happy" but his son now less than happy.

I figure the truth to be a little different and I feel the wheel may be older than that...ie. put in in the early 70s. Have matching door pulls too. Also, Dad may have used the story to get the aftermarket wheel he liked better. Started modifying almost immediately.

Will be looking for a stock wheel at some point.

PS: Thanks for behind fuel cell tip, that makes sense. And will be making a big ring around any posts for carpet, although it doesn't show here yet. Also figuring what to use over back perch, maybe soft top area. Choices...

PPS: Oh, and did drill pilot holes from top prior to removing original dash pad, but thanks for the tip!

did you change to new carpet, and if so, the padding was flush enough that clipping in grommets even over the mat without other padding is a challenge? This blue stuff is 1/3 thinner than the black extreme stuff. Might help, but I had planned to run the softer liner in 1/8 over the floor as well. Maybe I should wait and try with carpet.

Derek

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Dynamat product

Derek, I am a little confused by the Dynamat product you are using. From what little I have been able to find, it is one of their sound deadening material products. I cannot find any info on its heat blocking capabilities. Is it a case of just prior experience telling you it does both well?

Part of my confusion stems from the earlier pics of Moondoggie's instalation. It looks like he used a silverish like Dynamat product that seems to be designed for blocking heat.

When "researching" what material I should use I came across a dual purpose product from Thermo-Tec. Said to be good for blocking radiant heat up to 2000 degrees and 300 degrees direct heat. Any idea how the Dynamat products compare to that?

I am a "babe in the woods" on this stuff so any and all help will be greatly appreciated. :D

Gene

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
Derek, I am a little confused by the Dynamat product you are using. From what little I have been able to find, it is one of their sound deadening material products. I cannot find any info on its heat blocking capabilities. Is it a case of just prior experience telling you it does both well?

Part of my confusion stems from the earlier pics of Moondoggie's instalation. It looks like he used a silverish like Dynamat product that seems to be designed for blocking heat.

Gene

Gene,

I used Dynamat Extreme which is excellent for both noise & heat go here
for data and info:

http://www.dynamat.com/automotive-and-transportation/automotive-restoration/dynamat-xtreme/

Moondoggie

DD (CA)

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Dynamat Extreme or Superlite and Thermo-tec similar

These are adhesive + rubber + asphalt + aluminum sheet top layer products. They are designed to dampen certain vibration frequencies in the sheet metal. They apply by hand + roller. The pro stereo installers are very good with these things. You and I will have puffy, sore and bleeding finger tips; ugly surface wrinkles and crooked cut lines after install. And so will the material...lol... Its also a multi hour chore on your knees. $150 for 48ft2 (amazon).

DynaMAT Extreme is the thickest and best for sound (vibration) and heat absorption. It is also the heaviest. Even putting a large sheet inside your door will be a significant reduction in road noise. The kids with the cars that rattle your doors with their subwoofers go crazy. You can't have too much of it, if you need SPL (sound pressure levels); but the weight adds up a lot.

The dynaLINER is basically closed cell foam, in various thickness, with and adhesive on the backing (1/8, 1/4, 1/2") and may not differ much from what you could find locally at some general hardware stores. It may actually be different... But I tend to doubt it. Was ~$50 for 12ft2, not cheap. This foam is a good heat insulator and also absorbs other sound frequencies. I'm using the 1/4" dynalite for firewall, OVER the dynamat superlite.

The dynamat superlite is replacing the dense, but thin asphalt cloth type sheets that are already the car from the factory (until blasting or dipping). It will be an improvement, but I bought the thinner stuff to hopefully avoid other issues with carpet snap down, its lighter weight, will be a little LESS sound absorbent, because it was less $$ and because it is blue. I like blue. :)

The dynaliner replaces the 1/4" thick wool / sisal type felt that is glued to a few areas under the dash and under the headliner in the HT. There was also a square of asphalt type stuff under the felt on our HT.

Biggest issues I see are the logo drives me nuts, so some of the black areas having grey logos may show the logo under the dash or footwell areas and the adhesive is just unlikely the like the direct contact with the heater core. I'm sure it wont be an issue when applied over the dynamat.

http://www.dynamat.com/automotive-and-transportation/automotive-restoration/

Last edited:

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Moondoggie and Derek,

Thanks for the aditional info. I will not be tackling a similar project right away myself but it is something high on my list for this year and I am now much better informed for when I get to it.

Thanks again,

Gene

Bob Knight

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Dynomat

I used the Dynamat extreme on the floor, transmission tunnel, under the back seat, inside the doors, behind the fuel tanks, and on the trunk floor. I didn't have any issues with the carpet snaps, although I will say the easiest way to find the holes is to poke something up through them from the underside of the car. Otherwise the Dynamat turns out looking like a woodpecker attacked it - not that anyone will ever see it. Made the center console a little tight on the transmission tunnel, but it went on far enough to get the screws in the original holes with a little extra downforce applied. You definitely want to use the roller to press it down, especially around the edges. The edges are sharper than a razor after you cut it and will cut your finger down to the bone before you even feel it. Voice of experience... You also want to make darn sure it fits and it's where you want it before you take off the backing, once the adhesive touches your Tiger, good luck getting it off without taking some paint with it.
Bob Knight
B9471705
B9471929

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Dynamat product

Hi Bob,

Thanks for sharing your own experiences with this stuff. Sounds like you and Derek both had similar install challenges. I gather the results are well worth the difficulties. I definitely will be looking fo some mechanics gloves before I start.:)

Gene

Doctorbugz

Bronze forum user
Interior Insulation Options

I considered the Dynamat as an option on B382001465 but knowing the heat a 331 will generate I decided to do a little different system:
1. Interior stripped of tar-like substance from PO abuse to bare metal
2. Floor, firewall and tunnel sealed with POR-15
3. Floor, firewall and tunnel painted with etching primer
4. Floor, firewall and tunnel coated with Lizardskin insulating paint
5. Automotive 1/4" insulation glued onto floor, firewall and tunnel (foil up)
6. Interior from Martha Wheat/Pro-prep installed.

This combination has reduced both the radiant and conducted heat into the cab extremely well, even in 90 degree weather the car is drivable with the hood up for sun protection. The thinner insulation did not interfere with the carpet snaps. It's a lot more work but in hot climates is worth it.

Bugz