Early Tiger B9470038

Jeff Scoville

New forum user
I've had the car for 6 or 7 years now.
Just getting round to beginning the restoration.
Any idea of how many of the 37 earlier cars are still around?
Car has all factory original drivetrain.
Body is pretty rough.
Still haven't decided which direction to take the car.
Box stock original, minor bolt-on upgrades, or whatever I can think of to make it fast and safe!
Anyone have any idea where I can go with this motor? I mean to say, by retaining the #'s matching original block, how far can it be built?
289, 302, 347?
I would also like to get it TAC'd before I make any changes that might put it's originality in question.
I'm a member of the SAOCA and a member had suggested I bring the car to the get-together in Indiana.
Not much of a "Story" yet, but this is just the beginning!

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
Anyone have any idea where I can go with this motor? I mean to say, by retaining the #'s matching original block, how far can it be built?
289, 302, 347?

It seems you have a desire for more power. I would pull the original 260 and store it. The easier way to go is get a 5 bolt 289 or block and make your mods to this. This way you can use your original bell housing and gearbox. With the 289 you have a much better choice of aftermarket go fast bits to make it work.
The gearbox is a tough unit and can handle a lot more power than the 260 can deliver. You can make a 260 sing, but it will cost you a lot more.
Good luck with the car
Cheers Mal

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Jeff

I am the owner of B9470033. Mine is pretty close to original specs...other than some LAT Options. Somebody had already switched out the engine for a 289 by the time the previous owner found it. During the restoration he went back to original and installed a correctly coded 260.

I think you will find as you investigate further these early Mk1's have some unique features.

I have included a couple of photos and have sent a PM so we can follow up some more.

Jim

Cal44

Gold forum user
Jeff,

my useless two cents. The car can only take so much power. These are narrow vehicles and the rear end is even more narrow.

It doesn't add up to Cobra wide, if you get my meaning.

Yes, pickle the original engine and do another one if your current one is tired. The 289 five bolt blocks are around, not easy to locate for me but around.

It is tough to destroy a top loader so I continue to use mine and have yet too opt out to a 5 or 6 speed.

Mike

Jeff Scoville

New forum user
So from what I gather, the 260 block is not able to be bored and re-cranked to be able to use 289 parts?
How can I find out about the registry?
I'm really interested to know how many of the early Tigers are left.
Thanks

XTIGERX

Gold forum user
There was an article in a club newsletter (CAT or TEAE) maybe about 15-20 years ago. In the article a formula had been used with many factors to determine a current count of Tigers still on the road. Might be good to rehash and plug in some current numbers. Anyone recall this article? And/or maybe a better guess as to when it was issued?

Justin

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
Motors

Driving these cars is the thing I like best. We have 2 and they are quite different but I enjoy driving them both.

Black: First Tiger acquired in '87 with stock motor. I am a muscle car fan and after one outing at the streets of willow and some AutoX was open to more HP!! That opportunity came cheap when a friends father & son project stalled out. I got a 260 with most of the parts to finish it (from an early Mustang) for next to nothing. From that I built an engine with some HiPo heads and the cost of the heads and installing hardened valve seats being one of the biggest out of pocket expenses.

Blue: The former TT Editor the late Bob Norton put his Tiger up for sale. We bought it and sold the Black one in 1998. TigerBlue has a Boss 302 block, crank and rods and came with a scattershield and aluminum flywheel. Later I have changed the intake and installed a long duration cam from Summit.

Black & Blue: 8 years after we sold the black car we got a call from the guy who owned it (our caretaker) and bought it back.

I really like having two with different engines. One with 180+ HP at the wheels and one with 280+ at the wheels. Both are fun. Black is stealthy, idles calm, iron flywheel makes it easy to drive. Fast by most standards! Blue is loud with a lumpy idle and revs up fast with the light flywheel. Stalls in a heartbeat too. Faster and there are fewer places to use it wide open. Not a problem as I take it to Willow Springs for exercise.

Rick

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
The Registry

Norm Miller, of BON fame keeps a Tiger Registry, "The Registry".

http://www.rootes1.com/

He welcomes any questions about cars that are for sale and will want the VIN and any other numbers you can supply.

If you have a Tiger check with him to update information about where and who owns it.

He does not authenticate Tigers but he may also is able to confirm VIN's that are TAC'd.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
I thought I saw a list of TACed cars on his site, there is also good info in the registry.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
More ooomph !!

So from what I gather, the 260 block is not able to be bored and re-cranked to be able to use 289 parts?
How can I find out about the registry?
I'm really interested to know how many of the early Tigers are left.
Thanks

A 260 can be stroked and head worked and cammed, etc. etc., but the smart thing is to keep the original in a pickle jar and play with another block. There are umpteen options available $$$$$$. Got any photos of the "rough" car yet to share with us curious fans?