Ebay Sunbeam 260

AHudson777

Silver forum user
If the car is sound, and considering what rust buckets go for in my part of the country(12-15K) and what the selling price was on Ebay, it's not that bad of a deal. You've not mentioned anything that would keep it from passing TAC and you have a verbal confirmation from a TAC inspector it's a Tiger. If you wanted a straight original, correct car that had been restored you wouldn't be anywhere near what it sold for. Again I'm assuming the closing price on Ebay is what you were going to pay for it. Looks to me like it could certainly be enjoyed and challenges to make it original are not unsurmountable.

Agree again. The car is structurally sound based on seller and independent opinion. I feel the car will pass TAC.

The challenges are indeed WELL within the realm of an advanced home hobbyist or subbing out capably. Yet in the end, the metal mods were enough of a dislike to me, that the end result would've been a nagging negative.

This car can be a good car for someone, no doubt, perhaps someone on this forum. Had I looked at the photos super-closely or had a 'Tiger person' view/call prior to me doing it, this would've taken a different turn.

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Spoke to TAC inspector who knows car. "Real Tiger". Though I do appreciate your input, knowing this forum looks out for members.

I came off a bit strong but you do realize my motivation. As one who actually bought a Alger for Tiger money becuase it was sold as a Tiger, I have strong opinons on the matter at times. Have a TACed Tiger now, so all is good in my world.

AHudson777

Silver forum user
I came off a bit strong but you do realize my motivation. As one who actually bought a Alger for Tiger money becuase it was sold as a Tiger, I have strong opinons on the matter at times. Have a TACed Tiger now, so all is good in my world.

Experience often dictates reaction! No worries here, and understood.

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Really interesting to actually see quite rare original german Alpine 260´s in the states. Why are we mainly running originally US registered cars over here in Germany ? Something wrong in this world.

To AHudson:Anyway good luck with your new aquisition. Keep the crowd posted with the progress you make ...

Cal44

Gold forum user
Bernd,

last time I was in Germany I thought I would see Porsche's everywhere.

I think they're all in Southern California.

Last edited:

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Michael, definitely the same car, as you have identified. Motor has that solid lifter chatter many find special. I definitely would not like the way the automatic shifter works. Hope the cooling system is not compromised by the need to also deal with an automatic.

Cheers, Gene

AHudson777

Silver forum user
Yep, same car. That's my super nice cousin doing the unpaid videographer gig. Car sounds good!

Last edited: