Electric Fan Connection

KenF

Gold forum user
I'm thinking of installing an electric fan, hopefully to help keep it below 100º C on hot days, and see if I can put up with the noise. Controller has a ground switching circuit/relay, so needs a constant positive battery connection. Fan draws 13 amps.

Where and how are others connecting positive connections under the bonnet?

Thanks, Ken

Warren

Gold forum user
The best thing I saw was a Paul Riesentz aluminum mount the used the stock mounting brackets for a 15" fan. I can't handle the Hoover sounds or the zip tie like fastening thru the radiator core.

KenF

Gold forum user
Yeah, I'll probably end up fabricating my own for the 12" SPAL fan. Might utilize the unused threaded nuts near the Tiger radiator mounts.
Think I'll mount the small fan controller to the left horn block-off plate, instead of drilling any new holes.
Never mind on electrical connections, looks like both constant and switched are right at the fuse block.

Danno66

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Yeah, I'll probably end up fabricating my own for the 12" SPAL fan. Might utilize the unused threaded nuts near the Tiger radiator mounts.
Think I'll mount the small fan controller to the left horn block-off plate, instead of drilling any new holes.
Never mind on electrical connections, looks like both constant and switched are right at the fuse block.
I used the spare body nuts on the radiator mount for the electric fan mount, as you were thinking. It does away with the zip-tie style mounts and allows for radiator removal without any hassles.

73EA3C91-4EA7-4D24-9B9A-A45CABF1EE03.jpeg

KenF

Gold forum user
Okay, got the fan installed and working. Warren was right, sounds like a vacuum cleaner! :cautious: I'll see how long I can endure it. Fan is a 12" SPAL 30101505, 1200 cfm, 13 amp. Fan controller is Derale 16759.
I mounted a horizontal 1" flat bar in the Alpine holes, which I then bolted the fan to. After mounting, the bottom was kind of wedged in the bottom radiator support. And I didn't want to add a 2nd bar to obstruct opening any more than it is, so I drilled 2 holes in the SPAL fan shroud and used cable ties to secure bottom of fan. Attached Derale controller to the block off plate, and added an optional manual switch under the dash. Mounted the switch to an unused thread on the dash support, so didn't have to drill a single hole for the whole install. Controller uses a probe which I stuck in the radiator fins near the inlet on the front side. It's going to be 90+ degrees tomorrow, so I can fine tune the controller fan on setting.

IMG_7442.JPG

IMG_7443.JPG

IMG_7446.JPG

IMG_7450.JPG

TAH_Tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Just want to caution you on the plastic toggle switch. I had a similar one as a cutoff for my electric fuel pump and when the Tiger seemed to be starving for gas on the highway, I reached down cand the toggle came off in my hand. Luckily I had a screwdriver to act has a new toggle/connection for a few miles. It's been fine with a metal toggle.

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
If you want to be real sneaky, you can take a panel tag, black out the e and the l, and put a little black line through the p and have a stealthy 'fan' tag.

instrument panel heater controls lettered 004.JPG

Hoghead

Gold forum user
That Derale controller is a steaming POS and I had one fail - in the off position. The manual override is not an option

The best controller I have found is made by the Auto Cool Guy in OR - terrible website but a great product, Very heavy duty contacts compared to Derale, and the failure mode is ON. He also has an optional NPT sensor probe rather than sticking something in the fins. Standard probe straps to the rad hose
Yes the Spal sounds like a Hoover, but flows more air than its competitors, while drawing the most current to do so, which makes me question the competitors flow specs. A Hoover sound is better than overcooking, and usually only when idling so not that bad

Warren

Gold forum user
Really Robert thought you'd pitch a reduced diameter water pump pulley.
Hoover is Brit speak for a Dyson I mean vacuum cleaner ;)

KenF

Gold forum user
That Derale controller is a steaming POS and I had one fail - in the off position. The manual override is not an option
Oh oh, I guess I better keep on eye on it. Don't know how long ago that was, but I hear the older model Derale had a positive circuit control, versus the newer one with a negative control. Hopefully a change for the better. Live and learn. :unsure: If I have any issues I'll check out AutoCoolGuy.

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I installed a Spal 001134054 11" pusher fan with a Hayden 3655 digital fan controller.
The Hayden controller is variable speed so the fan is noisy only in the hotest conditions.
It stopped the overheating in 95 degree Florida heat. Without it, it would overheat after 20 minutes of idling.
I have this controller on my Lotus , which has two 8" Spal pusher fans, and I have never had a problem in 5 years. I do not have an override switch, which in my way of thinking is unnecessary. New cars don't have this, why would they? If the controller failed, I would hot wire the fan and find a new controller.
I know many people install override switches and I am not criticizing. They are just not for me.

boss-tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Something else to consider (or ...) : several Tiger' owners in Denver area have successfully installed MGB pusher fans in front of radiator and overall fab/install looks fairly easy IMO. I have only heard positive feedback from all, easy to source the parts, used and/or new and not that expensive. There are two different fan brackets for left/right on an MGB but intertangle for Tiger install i.e. if you want both fan brackets to look alike (good idea my suggestion) look for two lefts or two rights. Mounting bracket is a simple horiz bar with vertical side brackets and looks easy to fab. Fan brackets hang upside down from this horiz bar which basically mounts using to original radiator mounts using longer bolts, then nuts on these longer bolts attached from front side (a tad awkard but access is OK, easier than putting on headers - ha). I have reached out to a friend with this setup hoping he has some pictures he could forward to me to post latter.

Hoghead

Gold forum user
Really Robert thought you'd pitch a reduced diameter water pump pulley.
Hoover is Brit speak for a Dyson I mean vacuum cleaner ;)
I am clearly a big fan of the Fairmont pulley, but also in favour of a belt and braces approach (another Britism for you) using an electric pusher fan. My next project is to make an aluminium bracket for a 12" Spal pusher fan

Hoghead

Gold forum user
The best thing I saw was a Paul Riesentz aluminum mount the used the stock mounting brackets for a 15" fan. I can't handle the Hoover sounds or the zip tie like fastening thru the radiator core.
A 15" pusher fan fits? Any pics?

I find that Spal specs are the most believable, but the largest Spal at Summit or Jegs is 14"
Does this large OD not block too much of the rad core when the car is moving, or is it intended for a primary fan, rather than a backup in case the mechanical fan cannot keep up at idle

boss-tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Pictures of the MGB pusher fans and bracket - note, radiator is out of this car so fan bracket is not bolted in these pictures and held in temporary - but I think it shows the general overview and simplicity (IMO) of the bracket/install

P5150002.JPG

P5150004.JPG

P5150005.JPG

Hoghead

Gold forum user
Those MG fans do not look like a very efficient blade design, but OTHO do not seem to block much of the rad core.
I wonder what the flow rate is for the pair?

KettleCarver

Gold forum user
I need to wire in the fan that came with my car. I am still new to Tigers. So, you can take power from the extra plugs on the fuse block? Which ones are constant and which ones are switched?

Thanks!

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
I need to wire in the fan that came with my car. I am still new to Tigers. So, you can take power from the extra plugs on the fuse block? Which ones are constant and which ones are switched?

Thanks!
If there has been any modifications to the wiring then it could be unique to your car. You really need to know what you are doing when dealing with the electrical system. Any which way the fan should have its own dedicated fuse of the correct rating Good luck 😊

KenF

Gold forum user

Thanks!
On mine I connected spade connectors to unfused side of the fuse block (top side) since the fan has its own fuse. Brown wire is constant, 2 whites on the switched side. But verify your setup as mentioned.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user

Thanks!
Green wires are hot with key on (fused). white wires are hot with key on, unfused... Brown are hot all the time, Purple are hot all the time, fused