Engine paint color

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
While cleaning a lot of oily junk off my engine I discovered some light blue paint on it Looks like Ford Light Blue color I think the color painted on the Tiger mk1 was black. Would the engines be painted over the Ford Blue specifically for the Tiger ? This photo shows the area of the paint the bolt is for the remote oil filter. The blue paint chips away easily down to the cast iron Just curious
Thanks
0E9962C2-8BC1-4CEB-A8A4-6ABF6A930F96.png

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I dont think they painted the black over blue, so a somewhat interesting find, do you know much of the cars history? Maybe it had a swap for another 260 earlier in its life?

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
The engine is definitely original with 56000 miles I am the second owner and knew the original owner very well I will eventually pull the engine is the data available for matching the engine to the chassis number ?

steven

Gold forum user
They were black from the factory. Not sure about the Mk2,s with the 289 but the 260,s were made as industrial engines and were black.

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
Black is what I have learned. Not sure what the blue is doing on the block Once the engine is pulled I will look out for more paint
Thanks

Warren

Gold forum user
Old Ford blue is the light blue Ford Corporate Blue is the darker MK2 color.
As for the light blue splained...
Possibly over zealous rattle can on a oil pan ?

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The engine is definitely original with 56000 miles I am the second owner and knew the original owner very well I will eventually pull the engine is the data available for matching the engine to the chassis number ?
Only for casting numbers to pin the period, the valve cover stickers indicate batch of engines which can be allocated to numbers of cars between.. Not for actual VIN

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I am rebuilding my engine and transmission. Both the engine and transmission are original. The engine has obviously been repainted but the transmission has not I believe.
I bought Duplicolor old ford blue (1621) which is too light and Ford dark blue (1606) which is too dark. Research on the internet found that Plasticote Ford blue was in between those two. However, Plasticote doesn't make it any more. However, National Parts Depot (AP-EBP) had some custom mixed up. It matches the transmission color almost perfectly. The attached photo shows my transmission next to the paint samples.

The top sample is the Plastickote, the middle is old ford blue, and the bottom is ford dark blue.

I attached a photo of the newly painted transmission case.

2D5A3847-EE29-496B-A140-79147D325EEB.jpeg

6F78C742-3E63-49C5-947C-A96E9572C0EA.jpeg

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
Very good match ! What series of Tiger do you have ? You could call the color ‘car wash bucket blue’ since it also matches the bucket next to the floor jack 😮

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The engine is a B19KC. It was produced in December, 1965 for 1966 model year. It is a 260 cid.
The transmission is HEHE 016892.

The car reg number is B382001786LRXFE and is registered as a 1967. It is a later Mk1A

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
So I guess you have a mk2 289. I think the colors are the same, but not 100% sure. There is sure a lot of discussion on Tiger and Mustang forums, but no definitive answer.

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
No yours is one year younger than mine , the mk2 had the darker blue color and my Dec 64 would have had the lighter blue if you go to the very first posting of this thread you will see some paint on the right hand cylinder head that is the mystery because it has never been replaced and would probably been painted black originally 😮

Warren

Gold forum user
Great work guys , most of the cars I have seen have zip for paint on the transmission. Including the one owner car Dan W. Is searching for a new caretaker for the widow.
In addition I can't find a lick of paint on the transmission on the MK2 but I will get under it again cuz you've piqued my interest

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The transmission color of early toploaders is a mystery for sure. This video of Mustang production is interesting and shows the transmission, at least to me, is painted.

KenF

Gold forum user
Hard telling from B&W video, trans is less glossy than black block. I think bare cast iron trans were a lot darker than the spray cast iron paint people use nowadays. Here's a pic of Mk1 Tiger trans where you can still see the markings. I think they were bare metal, IMHO, even in the Mustang world.

IMG_4612.JPG

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hard telling from B&W video, trans is less glossy than black block. I think bare cast iron trans were a lot darker than the spray cast iron paint people use nowadays. Here's a pic of Mk1 Tiger trans where you can still see the markings. I think they were bare metal, IMHO, even in the Mustang world.

View attachment 14135
DITTO! I once deep cleaned an original car and found only production markings. No paint.

Warren

Gold forum user
" I think they were bare metal, IMHO, even in the Mustang world." I agree and add with a readily applied 90 wt. Anti corrosion coating ;)