Extra Stock Keys

o2bdriving

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanx for the plug, Sean.

I currently have a respectable selection of NOS pre-stamped and pre-cut Rootes RM (L&F), ST (Strebor) and Wilmot Breeden FS (Union) keys. Stock is thinning out, but I still have a few dozen numbers of each type on hand.

Mark ..... volvoguys
Hi Mark, how about FS890 & RM831 key and ignition barrel

volvoguys

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Hi Mark, how about FS890 & RM831 key and ignition barrel
Greetings Steve.

I've had both these numbers in the past but no longer do. I come pretty close but not the exact numbers you seek.

Thanks for the inquiry, Mark ..... volvoguys

filospinato

Bronze forum user
I ran across this thread while looking for ST key info for a Tiger owner looking for keys.
If anyone is still looking for specific RM/RL, ST, FS, FP, etc. keys, I have a large inventory of original used (some look new) keys. Lots of Union, Romac, L&F, Rootes, Strebor, Stronis and other English branded and numbered keys.
I can also cut new keys to code, not just create duplicates. I have a few OE blanks, most blanks I have are aftermarket. I also have a handful of ignition switch lock barrels that take an RM/RL key.
Just putting this out there, a few in this thread seem to be after specific keys.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I ran across this thread while looking for ST key info for a Tiger owner looking for keys.
If anyone is still looking for specific RM/RL, ST, FS, FP, etc. keys, I have a large inventory of original used (some look new) keys. Lots of Union, Romac, L&F, Rootes, Strebor, Stronis and other English branded and numbered keys.
I can also cut new keys to code, not just create duplicates. I have a few OE blanks, most blanks I have are aftermarket. I also have a handful of ignition switch lock barrels that take an RM/RL key.
Just putting this out there, a few in this thread seem to be after specific keys.
RM 865 and FS 947

Oscarfel

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Hi
I am looking for RM 865 keys
Did you say you have some, like new or new.

filospinato

Bronze forum user
I found 3x RM865 keys, all Romac.
Plenty of FS947 in various head styles

20240118_085033.jpg

20240118_085014.jpg

20240118_084943.jpg

20240118_084919.jpg

Last edited:

kenmat

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Thanx for the plug, Sean.

I currently have a respectable selection of NOS pre-stamped and pre-cut Rootes RM (L&F), ST (Strebor) and Wilmot Breeden FS (Union) keys. Stock is thinning out, but I still have a few dozen numbers of each type on hand.

Mark ..... volvoguys
I am looking for RM 838 if you have one
Thanks
Ken

filospinato

Bronze forum user
Romac was another key supplier to the British automotive industry, much like Wilmot Breeden (Union), Strebor, L&F, etc. Made in England, contemporary to the rest.

volvoguys

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Romac was another key supplier to the British automotive industry, much like Wilmot Breeden (Union), Strebor, L&F, etc. Made in England, contemporary to the rest.
But Romac was a UK aftermarket supplier of keys, not OEM – and similar to Taylor or Ilco here in the USA. The key Oscarfel shows in his pics above is the exact type ignition/door key a buyer would have gotten along with their Tiger in the 1960's. It would have been either L&F (Lowe & Fletcher RM) or Strebor (ST) with the triangular head, tho there are limited instances a WB FS-series may have been used. Romax was never OEM in any Tiger or Alpine.

It's worth noting that the condition of Oscarfel's key is common: very damaged and/or worn. If he's able to start his car with that key, then the walls inside his ignition switch body are likely badly scored. It's also likely he's unable to lock his doors, or it's very difficult to do.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I would be interested in the small rectangle FS 947

filospinato

Bronze forum user
But Romac was a UK aftermarket supplier of keys, not OEM – and similar to Taylor or Ilco here in the USA. The key Oscarfel shows in his pics above is the exact type ignition/door key a buyer would have gotten along with their Tiger in the 1960's. It would have been either L&F (Lowe & Fletcher RM) or Strebor (ST) with the triangular head, tho there are limited instances a WB FS-series may have been used. Romax was never OEM in any Tiger or Alpine.

It's worth noting that the condition of Oscarfel's key is common: very damaged and/or worn. If he's able to start his car with that key, then the walls inside his ignition switch body are likely badly scored. It's also likely he's unable to lock his doors, or it's very difficult to do.
Agreed on all points, Romac wouldn't have been originally supplied with these cars.
I'll put together a list of the Rootes marked RM and ST keys I have and see about adding a link to my profile.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
It's also likely that the key will start other Sunbeams that still have original ignition barrels.

I remember in the early 90s at a sunbeam club meet using dad's original worn key to turn the ignition on of about 80% of the cars at the event .....😂

unbeam

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Agree with what Mark said above. When the key is inserted into the barrel, the raised "teeth" of the key retract the pins/wards of the lock. This should lead to a smooth barrel, which can easily move in the cylinder and actuate the unlock/start function. Using a worn out key won't fully retract the pins, and lead to scoring of the aluminum ignition cylinder. If you are lucky to have a decent cylinder, it seems that using a good key would help maintain it. This would likely require an aftermarket key, as they hold up better than the soft brass of the RM/RL/ST keys. The FS keys seem to be plated steel, so they hold up better, but often rust. So an aftermarket key from Romac, Ilco, Dominion, Lucas, or WBH might be what you use for function, and save the original for the concourse.
Aftermarket keys often had a blank side, or largely blank with only the key number. Original RM/RL/ST keys usually had Rootes, L&F, +/- Pentrastar on one side, and usually "Made in England" on the other side. Of course there are variations over the years.
The FS keys were usually the 6 sided "polybow" head, with Wilmot Breeden and the key number on one side, and Union and Made in England on the other. I'm not sure if the round headed FS keys were original, perhaps others can chime in. A confusing aspect is that aparently Wilmot Breeden sold aftermarket keys for a number of years prior to their buy out.
Regarding Romac, it seems that they would sell a whole board of say RM keys in all number combinations. presumably to locksmiths. If you knew yoiur number, you could just go and get a new key off the rack. Not the most secure system.
David

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
If you still need help with keys or tumblers despite these responses, others who may be able to help you include Dan Walters, Eric Gibeaut or Matthew Taylor. Each has contact information in the CAT roster. Dan and Eric have also listed their contact information on this forum.

Buck