Finally brought it back home, my story

cmjr1966

Bronze forum user
This will be short as I've just spent 10hrs in 110 degree Texas heat, pulling my Sunbeam Alpine 260 out of 16years of dry storage...it's a long story but I'm going to bed right now. Will update with pics soon.

Chuck

ComingHome080411_005.JPG

ComingHome080411_014.JPG

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Was this a German car? Always interesting to see their additional ID plates, they did similar plates on the french Tigers and alpines as well.

Was the car a servicemans car order while overseas then brought back to the states when they retruned from duty?

cmjr1966

Bronze forum user
Yep, German car

Bought it from the kids family late '82, sold it in '89, bought it back '93. He bought it new in Germany when he was stationed there and brought it back to the states. It's listed in the BON under the name of Ben Stein, the guy I bought it back from in '93. Had the most butt ugly paint job on it when I bought it, ready for this.....mural of a lady golfer on the doors. My friends and I would call it the "Golfing Tiger". When I started running it in Solo II I took some Krylon, masked off a square on the door and presto....place to put my C Stock number.:) Long story to follow :D

segrave

Gold forum user
Staff member
CAT Member
Doesn't have the ID number typical of foreign (France, Germany, etc) sold LH drive cars. In my experience those are all LROFE not LRXFE like American market cars.

cmjr1966

Bronze forum user
No idea of what's correct.

It's also titled as a 1967, came with the Alpine 260 badges. Have you guys ever seen that particular type of ID tag? Appears to have the original rivets in the usual places, tag is obviously German. Maybe a US bound car that was snagged in Germany? Unfortunately when you buy something like this it's past history is limited to what the previous seller tells you. I can only confirm from April 1982 to current. When I bought it in Fort Worth it had the original title dated 1967 and had been sitting for about 3 years.

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
I bought my 1965 Tiger from Germany as well. It is a RRO car. RHD for export, some how it ended up in Germany, first registered there in 1966. It had the original specification plate as well as the German plate. The chassis number stamped to the firewall. Tiger scipts on each guard and Alpine 260 badges elswhere. Also on the specification plate it has Alpine-206-V8- 1,224,888.

Looks as though you spec plate has been removed.

cmjr1966

Bronze forum user
tags

This one had the typical 260 badges but with the Alpine instead of Tiger on the fender. As for the spec plate being removed I'm not sure. Took a jewelers loupe and looked at the rivets, their the same as the ones holding the vin tag. Sorta like it never got the spec plate when built, ie the holes were drilled and when afixing the vin plate they just filled the holes. Tiger tamer, where on the firewall was your chassis number stamped? Does your title reflect a 1966 year model instead of the 1965 actual? Is your German plate like mine?

cmjr1966

Bronze forum user
TAC

Car is set up for TAC this next Saturday with Rob Roy in Keller TX. Some pics.
Before car was put in storage I went to Sherwin Williams, told them what I wanted to do. They supplied me with the primer and a sealer. Car was sanded down to metal, primed, and a clear sealer shot on it. This is what it looks like right after pulling it out after 16 years, I haven't cleaned it up, this is actually 5 minutes after it rolled off the flatbed.

ComingHome080411_004.JPG

ComingHome080411_001.JPG

ComingHome080411_007.JPG

ComingHome080411_024.JPG

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
Tags

Chuck,

There has been discussion on this on the STOC forum. As the car pictured which is another RRO car has no spec plate and is a pic of when it was new. http://sunbeamtiger.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=960
I contacted our spare parts man in our local Sunbeam club who owns a Tiger.
He said Jensen seemed to have run out of spec plates, so they filled the pre drilled holes with rivets.

The papers I got with my car are in German and first registation is in 1966. It is a early 1965 body. I have had the cars numbers checked by STOC in the UK and apart from the engine all else matches the Jensen build sheets.
The German tag is similar to yours, same colouring but a little different in layout.
The chassis number is stamped on the rib that the braces bolt to.
Hope this helps some.
Cheers Mal

cmjr1966

Bronze forum user
Hmm....

Just checked, no chassis stamp on the firewall of mine. Car in the link you sent is just like mine, Alpine script, 260 badge, same color, mine even has a black hardtop.