First time down the 1/4 mile with new engine.

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Ran the 1/4 four times. Only clean run was the 1st. Next three were bad due to fuel starvation caused by vapor lock in the fuel line. Never experienced it on the street but the stop and go slow movement to stage made it rear its ugly head. I would get a full 1st gear pull and then fuel pressure would drop to about 0 when in 2nd and then come back on an then off. Need to insulate the exposed line in the engine compartment and put a relay in by the fuel pump so it gets power directly from the battery connection.

1st run -
R/T - .358
60' - 2.166
330 - 5.602
1/8 - 8.312
MPH - 92.26
1000 - 10.623
1/4 - 12.564
MPH - 116.23

I beat a Rousch supercharged Mustang which ran a 13.389
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uW8p-7Pkr8

Was a TON of fun! Drag strip is like the dyno, no hiding any problems there.

014-3.jpg

Asked why I won the Show-N-Drag and was told that they were very impressed that I would thrash my 66 Tiger when most would trailer them in and/or keep them in the garage.

007-4.jpg

008-3.jpg

009-5.jpg

Look what showed up....Dave's 67 Tiger Mk II. Very nice car!

Last edited:

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Impressive

Duke

That was awesome and well deserved awards. The event organizers are right, I am not sure I would send my Tiger down the 1/4 mile...that is what makes this so impressive...a really good looking Tiger that is fast as....

Did the Mustang even know what hit him?

Jim

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
NICE!!

Duke... remind me again what you're running for rear tires... how did you get it to hook up?? ;)

Jim
B382000446

davester

Bronze forum user
RE Duke's 1/4 mile

Wow, I was there and saw Duke's car run. Can't believe his killer engine doesn't sound much more radical than my stock 289! His car just squats and goes. No hoopla, just speed! Well done Duke.

Dave Gilmore
Leawood, Ks
67MKII

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Thanks guys! The Mustang did not have a clue and only did one run, I think I shamed him off the track. Runing Toyo Proxes RA1 205R13. Lowered the pressure to 29 psi, drove around the water pit and did a quick spin to clean the tires off. The track was very sticky. I owe no wheel hop to the Dan Walter's Torque Arm. Front tires were 40 psi.

012-4.jpg

Here is a pic of Dave and I with our awesome cars.

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Hey guys....have had a couple of questions about the vapor lock. Thought I would just post here for all to see.

004-9.jpg

I ran 3/8 line from the T connection to the carb with 2" of rubber line where the original pump was. My problem is above (I'll get a better pic soon), the naked fuel line is located about 1/4 from the front of the head. I believe that the fuel was boiled at this location and then developed a large bubble in the line. This bubble hit the carb immediately but I was able to have a 1st gear pull before the carb bowels went dry. You can also see the fuel pressure sending unit on the fuel line manifold. I have the gauge in the glove box and watched the pressure go to 0 when I hit second gear.

I am going to move the line so it does not run in front of the head and cover it with a heat shield.

Last edited:

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Duke,

nice you got a video of the 1/4.. wish it was shot from a little further along so we could see you hooking it up and blowing straight past the 'stang.. but great footage none the less.

Car looked great... did you get any closer pics of your car and the display board.. did it print well?

chirodoc

Gold forum user
BOILING FUEL

If you are running the fuel line through the driveshaft tunnel via the stock location to the front of the engine, be advised that your exhaust headers are carrying 1200 degree exhaust gas at full song. Curt bowland had a similar problem years ago on the long front straight at Elkhart Lake. My suggestion would be to rerout the fuel line along the inside of the passenger side rocker panel into the wheel well and exit into the engine compartment through a hole in the inner fenderwell.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
More agreement

You could cook up bacon & eggs for the platoon in that tunnel after just one hot run. It makes complete sense to either cold wrap the line or find a safe, drafty spot for it. Still, it was a darned good 1st shot . . . . . . .

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Thanks guys for the recommendations. Gonna go the easy way first by moving the line away from the head and wrapping it. If that does not work, will look at moving it as suggested.

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
A couple of pictures of the current set up -

005-14.jpg

002-30.jpg

I now believe the above line connection is the problem. Sitting so close to the headers, it becomes a heat-sink when I am not moving. Need to insulate it or move it.

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Fuel pump relay kit arrived.

I installed the relay kit which also has a 30 amp breaker. I also install a on/off switch for the switch power from the ignition switch. I mounted everything to the bracket I made for the pump. This is to avoid any additional holes in the body.

As you can see, it has a short 10 gauge line to the battery. The pump does not react to any other electrical items now. No more surging with the blinkers.

003-7.jpg

004-11.jpg

005-8.jpg

I also moved the fuel line to a cooler location. Waiting on some wrap around insulation to cover the line that is on back order from summit.

001-5.jpg

002-11.jpg

Gotta get to the strip again before the end of the season to see if this was the fix.

zero2toy

Bronze forum user
I hope the fuel line insulation and move works!!! Good luck at the track, ill be....patiently.... waiting to see your results :)

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Went to the strip again today.

Today was supposed to be the last day KCIR was open.....turns out, will be open the rest of the month. Huge turn out....you can see by the slips how long it took me to run again.

BLUF - fastest time 12.21 @116. Run 1 and 2 were clean, just a slow start. Run #3, I had fuel starvation issue again...probable due to me sitting for a long time waiting to stage. Run #4, missed 2nd gear.

So here they are -

Image38.jpg

Image37.jpg

Video of the 2nd and fastest run.
http://youtu.be/ge3vJb06bDo

Run #1 - http://youtu.be/SqhYACj46ys

Run #3 - http://youtu.be/vJEvnI2zkcU

Run #4 - http://youtu.be/DXXwYaTut9c