Forty Years and Two Tigers

Bullypit

Silver forum user
CAT Member
I found my Mark IA (382001028) in Fort Walton Beach, FL in 1973 about a year after I joined the Air Force. I am the third owner and paid $1200 for it from an Air Force Captain who was on a remote assignment. When he returned from Turkey he bought a new 240Z. I bet he doesn't still have that. My car had 48,000 miles on it (today it has 153,000) and was stock except for a color change (Ford Dark Red - originally carnival red) and a Holley 500 cfm two bbl. I joined CAT in March/April 1973 and have a complete set of Tiger Tales since then. I still have the original 260 but it was long ago replaced by a 289 with a wide ratio transmission. Roll bar (dealer installed) was in it when I bought it. Has been through various wars, wrecks, and restorations. Shelby signed it in 1991 when he was Grand Marshall of the Road Atlanta runoffs.

My second car is a Mark II (382100400) which I have owned since March 2011. It belonged to my good friend Frank Pinner who bought it about 1974. He personalized it over the years (color change, stripe, dash replacement etc.) which all seemed like good ideas at the time when we were driving $2000 used cars. Frank was a helicopter pilot in Vietnam and died of agent orange disease in 1998 at the age of 52. His car sat in his widow's basement for 13 years until she called me to sell it. I got it back on the road this year and it is a work in progress. I am conflicted as to the path forward, but in no hurry since I don't intend to sell it. I may take it back to originial, or I may leave it the way he wanted it as kind of a memorial.

Attached are some photos - the Mark IA photos are from the recent article in Motor Trend Classic, and the others show my friend Frank and the extrication of the car from the basement and the cars together. Thanks for your attention.

Bill Bulpitt/Atlanta

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Great looking cars with an equally great story. Question? How do you know your roll bar was dealer installed? I ask because it is exactly like mine.

Bullypit

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Roll Bar

I am going by what the previous owner told me. The car was originally sold in Dayton, Ohio, and he bought it from the original owner...

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Nice pics.. i note you have the amco kick panel protectors on the doors.. not often you see them in a car.

also.. the dash pad in the read car... has it been padded larger on the drivers side for a reason.. or did the tonneau cover compresses the other side when its attached?

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
tigers

michael,
don't be so critical. it could be an optical illusion.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Sorry BHB.. its not an optical illusion.. and im asking a question not being critical. there is a difference :cool:

Bullypit

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Dash

It is an optical illusion - and a do it yourself job I did about 1977 - I recovered the dash myself with extra padding, but it is uniform all the way across. You are right, those are AMCO kick panels I installed probably about 1975.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Neat Memories

Good history to mull over. Real estate behind the old Huey looks like Cu Chi med evac base camp.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
tigers

mikey,
us old guys aren't always wrong! i wonder if the car came from doc wagner's dealership in fairborn.

Bullypit

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Helicopter

Good history to mull over. Real estate behind the old Huey looks like Cu Chi med evac base camp.
Frank and I never discussed exactly where he was stationed. He was very gung ho about his Army service, and flew in the reserves for some years after, as did his older brother Butch. Butch was killed in a Cobra training crash, and of course Frank also died an untimely death.

dude234

Gold forum user
I have to say that the black stripe added to the MKII looks far better than the factory installed stripe.

Are those 1970's Celica hood vents on both cars?

Bullypit

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Stripes and Vents

You are very observant. When Frank (former owner of yellow car) and I both lived in Jacksonville in 1975 we were always concerned about the cars over-heating in the Florida weather. Another fellow whose name I have forgotten had installed two of the Celica vents in his hood and claimed they helped. In those days in NE Florida punching louvers was a lost art, and it was before the street rod resurgence, so each of us went to the Toyota dealer and bought a pair (probably less than $10 at the time) and proceeded to cut holes in our hood and install. Probably not something I would do today, but it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Frank came up with the stripe, and in 1976 it looked great. I am still mulling over whether I will keep it when I repaint it. Like I have said before, my good friend modified his Tiger the way he wanted, and as a memorial I am leaning toward leaving it that way...

David B

Bronze forum user
Tigers

Great story about you cars.
I too bought a Tiger from an Air Force guy in 1976 for $1,100, that particular car is still in San Diego, totally restored by the guy who bought it from me (his first Tiger) in 1976 for $1.600.
Dave

Bullypit

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Cheap Tigers

Thanks, Dave:

Funny - I bought that red car when I was 25. People see an old guy driving a red sports car and I get asked about my midlife crisis - of course I back them off when I tell them I have had it almost 40 years. In my wildest dreams, I never would have thought I could (or would) hold onto a car that long...

Tomaselli

Bronze forum user
Frank came up with the stripe, and in 1976 it looked great. I am still mulling over whether I will keep it when I repaint it. Like I have said before, my good friend modified his Tiger the way he wanted, and as a memorial I am leaning toward leaving it that way...

I would keep it as is, once you retore it back to factory the history (ie, Frank's personisation) would be gone. Sounds like Frank was a really nice guy.

I am saying this as I prefer older cars with patina showing their individual history. My Tigers have marks from previous owner use and it's character :)

XTIGERX

Gold forum user
People see an old guy driving a red sports car and I get asked about my midlife crisis...

From our poll "How long have you owned your car?" it appears that we Tiger / Apine owners have our mid-life crisis earlier in life and it lasts much longer ... or we overcome it only to go thru a second MLC where we buy the old car back again.