Wanted Found one .. thanks .. wanted steering column bearing assembly or large outer race cup

boss-tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Anyone have a good, spare steering column bearing assembly (bearing at steering wheel usually survive best is seems) - front/engine outside bearing cup on mine is cracked in mult. spots. Probably a prev. owner error during removal or a front end impact of some kind. I know Rick at Sunbeam Specialties has the individual ball bearings and felt washer (thanks Rick) but seems the failing part is the larger outside cup. This outer steering column cup looks like a simple stamping, and maybe a good idea/suggestion for CAT club to add on a list of potential parts to reproduce down the road - the internal cup/race part that slips onto shaft usually is fine in my experience. I have had several Tigers and seems this is a common failure at front steering column bearing. In past have to admit I have trashed more than one Alpine steering column/box to get a single bearing assembly and always feel bad doing so.

boss-tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks for info, perfect world hoping to avoid any machine work and go with stock bearing assym if I can - nothing solid yet but figure I will find a stock bearing sooner or latter.

boss-tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Still looking for one steering column bearing - hoping someing has a spare. Would be much appreciated.

Hoghead

Gold forum user
As you say the bearing cup is always shot, and not surprising given how it is made. I saw no sense in replacing a problematic part with another used, problematic part, and set out to do it properly.
My mod is invisible to the trained eye, easy, and fixes it once and for all. Even if you had to pay a machine shop it is an hour job.

KenF

Gold forum user
Just curious, what is the size of the original bearing if one were to do a search?