Frame replacement

Tireguy

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
I am replacing the frame on a 1967 MK1A, purchased a wrecked car and putting it back on the road. My donor car is 65 Alpine. Is there anything that I should be aware of to keep it an authentic tiger? Replacing from the firewall forward. If anyone has a left front frame bumper ear I would be interested as my donor car has been slightly bent.

Bryan

Gold forum user
CAT Member
you better have it TAC'd before you start on improvements-

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Having it TAC'ed doesn't seem to mean much to some folks. There's a Tiger for sale with the certificate that was repaired with a front clip among other items. A previous owner did his usual fantastic fabrication work and the usual folks have said all kind of things about that car.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
you better have it TAC'd before you start on improvements-
That's a little bit of a false positive.

Depending on the work done after it may void the TAC.

What would be best is have an expert/inspector look at the car and see what can be salvaged. From the sounds of it the intent is to replace the whole front clip firewall forward.

There are a lot of TAC identity points there I'll be removed .. but there are still a lot from the scuttle back

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
That's a little bit of a false positive.

Depending on the work done after it may void the TAC.

What would be best is have an expert/inspector look at the car and see what can be salvaged. From the sounds of it the intent is to replace the whole front clip firewall forward.

There are a lot of TAC identity points there I'll be removed .. but there are still a lot from the scuttle back
So when does a tiger stop being a tiger when parts are chopped out and either fabricated or salvaged from an Alpine , it also seams that the 260 engine is replaced with a 289 or larger rather than restoring the 260 in a lot of cases ?

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
So when does a tiger stop being a tiger when parts are chopped out and either fabricated or salvaged from an Alpine , it also seams that the 260 engine is replaced with a 289 or larger rather than restoring the 260 in a lot of cases ?
A very quick TAC summary.

TAC doesn't declare a car a Tiger or not ... It is a process that identifies the unique modifications and process that Jensen used to produce a Tiger and some of the unique aspects of the Tiger shell from pressed steel vs and Alpine.

There are signs of this on the cars front to back.. drive line, trim etc have nothing to do with TAC... It just looks to identify the lineage of the body

You could replace all the outer panels of a car with some from a donor and you can still identify the tiger sheel... I know you could add a complete from clip firewall foward to a car and it would still pass TAC if the rest of the identifiers are there from the firewall back.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
photos

107_0406.JPG

107_0407.JPG

107_0408.JPG

107_0421.JPG

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
NOPE! You're seeing two different cars. My series 4 Alpine with no primer and an original Tiger. Both at the same shop. These photos show the series 4 at a later date and the Tiger engine compartment after paint and the start of assembly.

107_0993.JPG

107_0202.JPG

107_0200.JPG

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Last edited:

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
This last picture shows an Alpine shell with a Tiger trans tunnel and bulkhead... forgot to flame cut something, Bob!
Not Roberts car, he isn't really a Tiger guy ... But also can't attribute that work to Robert either...he has Doug do all his bodywork... so assume this is his work.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Not Roberts car, he isn't really a Tiger guy ... But also can't attribute that work to Robert either...he has Doug do all his bodywork... so assume this is his work.
in any event, I stand by what I said. The lower heater mounting tab is modified on a genuine Tiger shell.