gearbox rebuild kits

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Guys,

the 'box rebuild kist from summit dont include the layshaft or countershaft, these are sold by a few people:

Scott Drake $45
Denis Carpenter and others $20

Has anyone used the kits? any reason for the price discrepancy....?

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
One of the few items I have never tried to rebuild, usually pay someone since it is an important (and pain to pull) item for the forward movement of any Tiger.

the_tool_man

Gold forum user
I used the kit from David Kee Toploaders. He sells different ones, depending on how far you want to go, and whether or not you want heavy duty bearings. Since I didn't know what I'd find inside, I just bought the master kit. I also bought a rebuild manual prior to getting the kit. But the kit comes with instructions that are nearly as good as the book.

The master kit does not include the shafts you mentioned. But he does sell them separately.

The Toploader is one of the simplest transmissions on the planet. I found it to be reasonably easy. Just be sure to get some transmission assembly lube, or other super-sticky grease. You have to have that to reassemble all the needle bearings. I already had all the tools I needed, except for the proper snap ring pliers and a small magnet (for the shifter detents).