Wanted Grounding wire harness fro instruments

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
I can’t find the grounding wire harness that attaches all the instrument gauges together then goes to ground I would be interested in purchasing one from you or please attach a photo of one that is not installed alongside a measure so I can replicate one. Also where does it attach to the chassis?
Thanks in advance
Tony

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I can’t find the grounding wire harness that attaches all the instrument gauges together then goes to ground I would be interested in purchasing one from you or please attach a photo of one that is not installed alongside a measure so I can replicate one. Also where does it attach to the chassis?
Thanks in advance
Tony
The grounding "daisy chain" is a pair of black 18 gauge (or less) wires that loop from the steering tube mount (base ground) and move left or right. Simple crimp connectors mount under the instrument mounting nuts.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Thanks in advance
Tony
I'm sure I can find a spare original one in my boxes o' bits... there is one crimp connector substantially larger than the rest. This fits under the outboard 1/4-28 bolt that retains the dash extension (from interior bulkhead to dash) on the LH side. if you are running a clock and an ammeter (or voltmeter) you'll need to add a jumper as these were not accounted for in the original assembly

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
The grounding "daisy chain" is a pair of black 18 gauge (or less) wires that loop from the steering tube mount (base ground) and move left or right. Simple crimp connectors mount under the instrument mounting nuts.
Can you use the same daisy chain which links 4 gauges ( including an ammeter) also to the cigarette lighter ground air using 18 gauge wire ?
Thanks

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Can you use the same daisy chain which links 4 gauges ( including an ammeter) also to the cigarette lighter ground air using 18 gauge wire ?
Thanks
I once noted that the dash lights dimmed when the cigar lighter was used. Ever since then, I've given it a dedicated separate larger ground wire (16 gauge). Just sayin'

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
I'll send you a pic of the original tomorrow
I once noted that the dash lights dimmed when the cigar lighter was used. Ever since then, I've given it a dedicated separate larger ground wire (16 gauge). Just sayin'
That was my thought as well, to use a heavier gauge wire. Is the cigar lighter powered by that purple wire near the glove box and I think that wire is fused ? Thanks

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
That was my thought as well, to use a heavier gauge wire. Is the cigar lighter powered by that purple wire near the glove box and I think that wire is fused ? Thanks
If the circuits are as original, yes the purple is fused.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Five of my Beams have lighters installed. I've always run a power wire and picked up power from a point prior to power going thru the fuse block. I use an inline fuse holder to protect the circuit and I run a separate ground wire that is secured to the bulk head brace that hooks to the dash. I do the same thing for the radio and driving lights. On one of the cars I installed a second fuse block for accessories.

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
Five of my Beams have lighters installed. I've always run a power wire and picked up power from a point prior to power going thru the fuse block. I use an inline fuse holder to protect the circuit and I run a separate ground wire that is secured to the bulk head brace that hooks to the dash. I do the same thing for the radio and driving lights. On one of the cars I installed a second fuse block for accessories.
That is sound advice I will definitely put an inline fuse to the fuel pump which by looks of things it is hooked up before the two 35 amp fuses What amperage fuses would you recommend on both the fuel pump and cigar lighter ?
Thanks

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Two of my cars have facet pumps that are rated at 1 amp so what you use is your choice based on amp draw of your pump. I have a toggle switch to shut the pump off. Some facet pumps have auto shutoffs if a problem happens. I have 5 amp fuses on both the pump and the lighter.

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
Two of my cars have facet pumps that are rated at 1 amp so what you use is your choice based on amp draw of your pump. I have a toggle switch to shut the pump off. Some facet pumps have auto shutoffs if a problem happens. I have 5 amp fuses on both the pump and the lighter.
I will go with 5 amps. Thanks

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I will go with 5 amps. Thanks
Originally purple wires would have been a 50amp fuse... which is miss-rated as they were actually a 25 amp fuse (same as horns). The fuel pump will draw a lot more than 5 amps. White wires are typically unfused, but sit on the opposite side of a 30 amp fuse for the green wires. (wipers, gauges, heater) Lucas 30 amp fuses were actually rated at 17amps. Lights were not fused. On Jaguars they are, on a 30 amp fuse. if you want to take the load off of the switch, you could always run the main and high beams through a relay.

I have found that the most common reason for the smoke coming out of wiring harnesses is confusion over grounding. (and it's awfully hard to get the smoke back in, once it's escaped!!) This isn't an issue on Tigers as they are all negative ground.. However, series 4 and earlier Alpines are POSITIVE ground... The important thing to remember is, ground is ground, polarity be damned. The BLACK wire always goes to ground! This was such a problem on Big Healeys that the factory started fitting an in-line fuse for the license plate lights on the 3000 Mk3 because confused overs would connect the red power feed to ground, instead of the black wire.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Originally purple wires would have been a 50amp fuse... which is miss-rated as they were actually a 25 amp fuse (same as horns). The fuel pump will draw a lot more than 5 amps. White wires are typically unfused, but sit on the opposite side of a 30 amp fuse for the green wires. (wipers, gauges, heater) Lucas 30 amp fuses were actually rated at 17amps. Lights were not fused. On Jaguars they are, on a 30 amp fuse. if you want to take the load off of the switch, you could always run the main and high beams through a relay.

I have found that the most common reason for the smoke coming out of wiring harnesses is confusion over grounding. (and it's awfully hard to get the smoke back in, once it's escaped!!) This isn't an issue on Tigers as they are all negative ground.. However, series 4 and earlier Alpines are POSITIVE ground... The important thing to remember is, ground is ground, polarity be damned. The BLACK wire always goes to ground! This was such a problem on Big Healeys that the factory started fitting an in-line fuse for the license plate lights on the 3000 Mk3 because confused overs would connect the red power feed to ground, instead of the black wire.
I use facet pumps from Pegasus Racing. They carry several different facet pumps ranging from 2 to 4 PSI up to 7 to 10 PSI. They all pull roughly 1 amp. An SU pump will pull in the range of 5 to 6 amps so with the facet pump the 5 amp fuse doesn't present a problem for me but the original pump pulling 6 amps would require a slightly higher amp fuse. As far as the lighter goes I guess you would need to know how many amps a phone charger or Garmin will pull. If you look at the corner of the bulkhead just above the voltage regulator in this photo you'll see the main Alpine
110_0720.JPG
ground wire held by the large flat head machine screw. It does not serve as a ground for head lights or tail lights

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
Thanks in advance
Tony
2B893024-42EB-4DF5-A24F-7AEA66941710.jpeg
found it ! So did the mouse but luckily he dined out mostly because this is the only wire that was nibbled on 😊