Wanted Hardtop Wanted

tirechip

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Greeting Tiger Fans!
Purchased a 1965 Mk1 that did not come with a hardtop. So, I like to purchase one!. Prefer to buy a refurbished/restored top and paint to match body color, but if you have one with all the goodies and it's needs painting, then I'm open. Please share photos, specifically showing base of the rear windows (all three) and especially in the lower corners in the rear, rear window stainless trim, drip rail trim and the side latches. Thanks in advance.

Chip

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Hardtops were generally black for Tigers, unless the hardtop was ordered WITH the car... then it would/could be body color. Mk1 hardtops have no brackets for the padded vinyl top cover. These are the inside of the hardtop, below the rear window and in line with the trunk hinges. Also, Mk1 hardtops have SMALL chrome buttons on the outsides of the rear qtr windows for securing the qtr window latches

Bryan

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have a beautiful one with no rust and all hardware- It is red can get pics -where are you located.Bryan- also know of one thats in rust free condition (green) needs rubbers and some touch up

tirechip

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
I'm in Greensboro NC-I'm interested, please provide photos
Thanks for your reply

Chip

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Greeting Tiger Fans!
Purchased a 1965 Mk1 that did not come with a hardtop. So, I like to purchase one!. Prefer to buy a refurbished/restored top and paint to match body color, but if you have one with all the goodies and it's needs painting, then I'm open. Please share photos, specifically showing base of the rear windows (all three) and especially in the lower corners in the rear, rear window stainless trim, drip rail trim and the side latches. Thanks in advance.

Chip
Chip, do you want one for winter use because of where you live, or just would like to have one?

The tops have a habit of scuffing the paint badly, so look into the protective film options where it rests.. people used to use helicopter blade tape.. but now you have the 3m clear films etc...

Sunbeams Specialties and I think classic sunbeam sold precut shaped film to protect the paint at one point.

Have you been in a car with the HT on?

Also another option that is lighter and has a similar look to the factory tops is the Honeyborne molding tops from the UK...I believe there was a distributor in the states for a while... Lighter.. no rust...but the fixings are a little crude. Depending on tops you find stateside..the shipping on the FG one may be comparable.

https://www.honeybournemouldings.co.uk/#

Screenshot_20240310-151908.png