Headers

ktwhite

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Would like to get a set of headers. Which set do you prefer for fitment? CAT club or SS. I have heard that the club ones have had changes over the last years made to fit better. Please give me your opinion. I have built and raced drag cars for 30+ years and I know there is no such thing as drop in headers. Thanks for input.

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I just installed the SS headers. They went in but I had to dent a little and grind the engine mounts a little. I am talking about an 1/8" when I say a little grinding and denting.
I fitted them, dented and then had them ceramic coated. I don't know about the CAT headers.
My only complaint is the header flanges are not angled for the chassis exhaust holes so the exhaust system needs to be modified.

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
CAT currently is soliciting bids for a new batch of stainless headers made with 5/8" tubes. (The last I heard was that CAT waiting to hear on a bid from Headman.)

CAT has in stock and is selling replica LAT side out headers made on the original Belanger tooling. Like the headers from SS, they have also 1/2" tubes and are also made of mild steel. Being LAT replicas they won't suffer the dings from some Concours judges that other header designs might.

Buck
CAT Board Member (speaking unofficially to get the question answered expeditiously)

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Considerable discussion has come down about headers in the past and here is some info about Fit:

https://www.catmbr.org/cat-forum/threads/c-a-t-stainless-headers.5903/page-3

There IS such a thing as "Drop in Headers".

There is One decision that needs to be made before the next batch of CAT Stainless Headers is made.

It is, What do WE want the Headers to look like?

Do we want them to look as they have for years, or do we change them.

The change on the table is the collectors, Merged or one piece?

HERE is a place to give YOUR $.02.

DW

Hoghead

Gold forum user
I have a set of the new Belanger LAT70 headers, given that I have a mild 260 in the black car, and going for a stock appearance.
Mine were the first set made, and virtually a drop in installation.
SS usually has the non-side take out style, with the same primaries, and shorter collector

Give some thought to the primary tube OD and collector length, then decide. My other car has a bigger engine, therefore larger primaries and different collector - horses for courses

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Just in case anyone is going to TU, and may take the Quiz,

LAT 70 is the number for the wheels.

LAT 73 is the number for the Side-out Headers.

DW

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Just in case anyone is going to TU, and may take the Quiz,

LAT 70 is the number for the wheels.

LAT 73 is the number for the Side-out Headers.

DW
I thought you were testing us- you've written some pretty tough quiz questions! I'll cherish my Santa Maria quiz win for all time!