Headlight Dip Switch Bracket Above or Below the Carpet?

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
How was the bracket installed originally? I have a SS carpet kit and there is no hole cut out for the switch but one could be made.
If the carpet gets a hole cut in it and goes over the bracket, it will look clean but there will be a gap right of the bracket where the carpet transitions back to the firewall.
If the carpet is laid in and then the bracket is installed, there will be no gaps but the bracket will be visible and it does not look like a finished part.
I've seen it done both ways.

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I just installed an SS carpet and had the same issue. I originally installed the carpet under the switch bracket, but looking at a lot of photos, nobody else did it that way. I called Rick, and he said that a plastic grommet is supposed to be included. It was not, but he sent one to me.
Here is a photo of before and after.

82CD9229-B256-4EAA-B3C5-9A3C1907E516.jpeg

4EC16149-BE38-46A1-89C9-AEF76DF1DCEB.jpeg

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks, I appreciate the info and pics. That's how I'll do it. I'll check the bottom of the box the carpet came in. The grommet might be in there and if not, I'll hit up Rick. Looks like you're a few steps ahead of me.

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
Strangely enough I installed the switch yesterday and mounted it on top of the carpet. I had to cut some of the insulation away where the screws go I used some 4-40 thread rod which I put through one of the original holes in the firewall to locate the switch bracket , this allowed the bracket to be tightened with the original screws then remove the thread rod and put in the last screw. I wondered what the plastic grommet was in the SS carpet kit. I did not need to use it. It is a strenuous job putting in the bracket and that is without the dash and seats. Good luck with the installation

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Yeah, I've been installing the kick panels and drilled new holes for some of the screws which aren't in the most convenient location, especially with the dash in.