High Tech coatings

Hoghead

Gold forum user
We know about ceramic coating headers for both heat transfer, corrosion resistance, and for most Owners - aesthetic reasons. Several colours are available aside from the shiny aluminium "Jet Coat" finish. I chose flat aluminium that looks remarkably similar to the "as cast" aluminium paint one can buy

Coating of internal engine parts is common in racing circles, and I had the valves, piston, and combustion chamber done on an air cooled bike that was prone to overheating due to my hot rod mods. Problem solved!

I now have had my intake ceramic coated, inside, and out, (including the hot bottom side), in matching flat aluminium as an attempt to control carb temperature. Without a cold air intake, I am not convinced that the fuel charge will be much cooler; being situated in that hot engine compartment, but I would think that the coating will help with fuel boiling in the carb.

I tried some gas on the flat ceramic coating and it did not stain, so hopefully a secondary (or perhaps primary) benefit is a nice clean intake. I have tried every paint/powder, beaded finish over the years and nothing seems to stay nice for long.

I spied a Porsche oil cooler the coating shop that was in for a heat dissipation coating. The shop tells me that aluminium rads/coolers oxidise over time and can lose up to 30% efficiency. This coating not only helps with heat transfer, but stops the oxidation process. Can be done on both new and old rads. Copper rads benefit as well.

I have a new Griffith aluminium rad and for 200 CAD I will get it coated and see if it helps in my war against overheating.

MT Roads

Silver forum user
Cool Coating?

Great info! Thanks for the details.

Is the Oil Cooler/Radiator coating mentioned a type of powder coating, or some other coating being used/applied by that shop?

Hoghead

Gold forum user
He called it "a heat dissipation coating"
If I understand correctly is is applied to a prepped surface - in this case soda blasted, applied like paint, then baked on in the powdercoat oven. It is not powder coat.

There are several different colours, and I saw flat aluminium and flat black.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I agree with all of the above, including the piston amd valve coating, except i wouldnt do inside the intake runners. I think controlling the finish would not be ideal.compared to the gains from porting and doing a swirl polish to create fine gain polished finish wirh enough texture to get turbulent movement of air... Just my thought...

Hoghead

Gold forum user
I agree with all of the above, including the piston amd valve coating, except i wouldnt do inside the intake runners. I think controlling the finish would not be ideal.compared to the gains from porting and doing a swirl polish to create fine gain polished finish wirh enough texture to get turbulent movement of air... Just my thought...

I thought about that too, but the coating is very thin so not a concern. Smooth as a babys bottom is not what i want on an intake manifold

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I thought about that too, but the coating is very thin so not a concern. Smooth as a babys bottom is not what i want on an intake manifold
No.. You dont want a mirror.finish.. But a textured polish to create some turbulance to help the mixture ...but id still be reluctant to coat the runners