Hillman Estate Wagon

Charlie_N

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Here is a Rootes Group project that I have been working on for the last 3 or 4 years. It is a 1959 Hillman Estate Wagon with the small block Ford V-8. I started out thinking I would like a Rootes vehicle that was a little more practical (as if any are really practical) than the Tiger but still fun to drive with some American power. The similarities and differences have been interesting to observe. Still unibody construction predating the Tiger but with mostly the same panels, similar front crossmember, interior and trunk. It was surprising how much tar was used to fill gaps and holes. I am used to the Tiger parts suppliers where just about everything is available. Not so much with the other Rootes cars. The Yahoo list has been helpful with info and some parts and of course Ebay but mostly it is a struggle to find original parts. I decided early on not to try to keep it original anyway. I used the two tone paint scheme with Tarten red on the bottom with as close as I could get to original with a Chevy color and white on top. I took the trim off the sides and welded up the holes. I hate trim. The Hillman block letters on the front and Hillman script on the back are prominently displayed. The drive train looks pretty much like a Tiger. The electrical and instruments are a mix of Tiger and American stuff. Bullet connectors attached to a Painless Wiring harness. I still have aways to gobut here is a few pictures.
Charlie N
65 Tiger
59 Hillman

dlyle

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Charlie, it looks great. Under that skin it's just like a Tiger. I did the same thing with my Husky and a 302. Now I'm doing another Husky with a 392 Hemi.

Keep up the good work and the more photos the better.

Warren

Gold forum user
Cool

Wow is that a classic air A/C unit? Cool little wagon, reminds me of the Pinafarina Rambler my family had as a kid...

Charlie_N

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Thanks for the kind words.
Yes, A/C is in the works. The System is similar to Vintage Air. I am having a little trouble with the evaporator in front of the radiator. I forgot how much room the hood lock takes up.
The trans is the Ford 4 speed although I would have perferred an auto. It does put the shifter kind of far back.
Doug-your Husky gave me the inspiration to proceed.
Charlie

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I LOVE the fact it's in the works tiger rally colours too! :cool: I have been looking at 2 hillman husky's locally with images of dougs Huskger/Tigy in the front of my mind... they are such cool sleepers. The idea of using one of Jose R's V6 kits its quite tempting too!

dlyle

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks for the kind words.

Doug-your Husky gave me the inspiration to proceed.
Charlie

Glad my little Husky helped to inspire. I've been working on a 392 Husky for a while now and at times it can be intimidating. Always helps to go to the local car show for a little inspiration.

Here are a couple shots of the 57 Husky.