HolmanMoody solid lifter cam n 289 dyno'd?

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Any of you guys have this cam and motor and had it dyno'd? I would be interested in what other mods you made with it and the dyno results. Specifically, did you have to notch pistons for valve clearance? Lift seems to be higher than the lift for the solid lifter cam LAT option described in Performance Tuning the Tiger. Also, how loud is the lifter ticking when properly set up? (I think I have a bad lifter in my 260 and it is a bit worrisome. Not sure what 16 tickers would sound like, maybe more harmonious?!)

Cheers, Gene

Cal44

Gold forum user
Gene,

Concerning your current lifer noise, it is not un-common for the lifter to give out or a cam lob to get tired..........it just is, as in old Ford stuff.

Last week or the week before there was writing on your question concerning solids.

By the way, the noise that a team of solids makes, is music....
a sticky lifer is rap............

Mike

Last edited:

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Mike, I like your comparison! I did reread the solid lifter cam discussion, but the postings were really of a pretty general, reminising qualitive nature. As I said in one of my contributions about getting covers off, I am intrigued by the possibility of getting one. I really like the idea that the sound has "character". Here in this posting I am looking mainly for quantitative feedback on what you can actually gain performance wise. Plus a little more descriptive nature on the sound if possible.

BTW, I have tried Crane's version of variable duration lifters in the past. But I understand they were noiser (not more musical) than Rhoads. The Cranes were definitely harsher than I expected. A subtle whirling, just loud enough to be heard but not obtrusive and to let an experienced ear know there was something special inside has a lot of appeal. But the actual performance gain is even more important. And at the moment I have no idea what I could expect.

Cheers, Gene

By the way I have a box of NOS Rhoads lifters on the shelf, so I have not ruled them and a new hydraulic cam out.

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Wow, what great videos! :D Thank you, thank you. Exactly what I hoped someone could point me to. That motor really sounds serious. It can definitely talk the talk. Now if I can just find out how well a motor with such a cam can walk the walk! Cheers, Gene

chirodoc

Gold forum user
holman moody cam

THE COMP CAMS WEBSITE HAS THEIR COMPUTER PROGRAM "CAMQUEST" WHICH WILL GIVE YOU AN IDEA ABOUT DYNO NUMBERS OF HP AND TORQUE WITH DIFFERENT CAM SPECIFICATIONS. IT MAKES CAMSHAFT SELECTION OUT OF THE DOING "BRAIN SURGERY" CATAGORY. THE HOLMAN MOODY CAM SHOWS 228 DEGREES DURATION AT .050 IN. ON BOTH THE INTAKE AND EXHAUST. THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE SCREEN GIVES YOU THE CHOICE OF THE DURATIONS OF THE COMP CAMS THAT FIT FOR YOUR APPLICATION. A 289 WITH A 230 DEGREE AT .050 CAM AND GOOD HEADS COMPUTES TO ABOUT 345 HP @ 6000 RPM, AND 325 FT/LBS TORQUE @ 4000 RPM.
HOPE THAT HELPS !

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
All I can say is Wow!:D That cam and motor with good heads is indeed walking the walk. Many thanks for the link and taking the time to actually put in the parameters. FordCrazy is right, very hard to beat the Ford factory grinds. Your help is very appreciated. Gene