Hood Cable Replacement With Rod.

66Tiger1A

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
I’m thinking about changing the cable that opens the hood (or bonnet) on my Tiger to a rod from an earlier model. I don’t think that the bracket that holds the cable is correct for the rod. It seems that the rod will not stay in place and appears to bend down inside the car when it is in the bracket.If the bracket is correct, what keeps the rod in place? Does the rod have to be bent? It looks like it is too short.
I’ve looked at previous posts from people who weren’t not able to open their hood, and it seems that this occurs with the rod too. Maybe I should go back to the old adage “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” Any help, suggestions, or pictures of a correct installation would be appreciated.

HoodRod - 6.jpeg

HoodRod - 4.jpeg

HoodRod - 3.jpeg

HoodRod - 2.jpeg

KenF

Gold forum user
Mine has a loop bracket on the inside, and the rod to latch bracket is different than yours. Rod bends look right.

IMG_8322.JPG

IMG_8323.JPG

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The rod requires a different bracket for mounting the rod to the bulk head brace inside the car. This can be bolted to the brace.
PTDC0084.JPG
110_0671.JPG
100_0548.JPG
The bracket to hold the cable at the latch is different for the rod. It's longer and shaped different with a nut to adjust the bracket. The one photo shows the bracket needed to hold the rod and in the other you can see the bracket at the latch. The photo of our blue car shows what the conversion from the cable to the rod looks like when completed. The bracket at the latch is available from Dan Richardson. He's DanR on the SAOCA forum.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I’m thinking about changing the cable that opens the hood (or bonnet) on my Tiger to a rod from an earlier model. I don’t think that the bracket that holds the cable is correct for the rod. It seems that the rod will not stay in place and appears to bend down inside the car when it is in the bracket.If the bracket is correct, what keeps the rod in place? Does the rod have to be bent? It looks like it is too short.
I’ve looked at previous posts from people who weren’t not able to open their hood, and it seems that this occurs with the rod too. Maybe I should go back to the old adage “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” Any help, suggestions, or pictures of a correct installation would be appreciated.

View attachment 17288

View attachment 17289

View attachment 17290

View attachment 17291
The bit that attaches to the hood release mechanism is also different... sure I have one, if you need it.