How do you take the convertible/hardtop front clamps apart to have re-chromed?

boss-tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
So. I am puzzled re. how to take these conv/HT front bow clamps apart to seperate large clamp from hinged base. FYI, only the large clamp parts seem to need re-chroming so I carefuly ground one side of the mushromed pin on the side of the large clamp, then using a small drift punch started tapping on the now flush pin .. well, it barely moved and I am afraind to wack the heck out of it to save both my fingers and the clamp. ? any suggestions OR better yet anyone out there with jig/knowledge (assume need both) to take these apart so I can have them re-chromed. It's always something - thanks in advance.

Bryan

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have never separated them - the chromer kept them together and they come out excellent- even the underside??

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I just took them apart and put back together after chroming. I took the pins out like you are and a drift. I think I did drill out one which required machining new spacers.
I used ss rod to make new pins and then mushroomed the ends.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
So. I am puzzled re. how to take these conv/HT front bow clamps apart to seperate large clamp from hinged base. FYI, only the large clamp parts seem to need re-chroming so I carefuly ground one side of the mushromed pin on the side of the large clamp, then using a small drift punch started tapping on the now flush pin .. well, it barely moved and I am afraind to wack the heck out of it to save both my fingers and the clamp. ? any suggestions OR better yet anyone out there with jig/knowledge (assume need both) to take these apart so I can have them re-chromed. It's always something - thanks in advance.
It's not hard... the 1/8 pins were rounded over to keep them in place. you have to carefully grind off one side and then you can drive them out. There are two "collars" that the pins pass through... don't lose them!

the other pin is a pin with knurling on one side. It can be driven out with a drift and re-used. I make new 1/8 pins out of stainless welding rod and use lock-tite to bond the pin to the collars that fit in the outer clasp. never had one fail yet. I've done dozens...

boss-tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Is it just me OR are these pins a pain to drive out. Will get back to it tomorrow