How many keys for a mk1a

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
My 67 mk1a cam with 2 ign keys, 2 trunk keys, 1 glove box key and one door key. All functions have unique key cuts.

So, how many unique keys came with the car originally?

Thanks.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks. I was afraid that was the answer. The lock cylinders can be rekeyed can't they?
Yes.. changing the pins you can make.matching sets

Some people stateside and in UK have stocks of the original FS and L&R keys...even rootes branded ones... So maybe look at getting matching sets of NOS keys.

unbeam

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Tigers had either RM or ST keys, with the "onion" type head. This should be stamped on both the key and lock, followed by 3 numbers. Most were made by Wilmot Breeden. Some had Rootes on one side, some had the Chrysler pentastar added. Original keys had stamping on both sides, if there is a blank side, it is a replacement key. The RL type keys were used on Alpines I believe and perhaps other Rootes vehicles, and have a slightly more narrow onion head.
The trunk and glove box used the FS key series. Correct versions of these can be found with some digging, but the original RM keys are much harder to source.
An excellent source for British locksmithing is Jake Voelckers, britishauto@gmail.com. He can rekey your locks so they match the code for your car, and can cut the appropriate key.
The Jensen ledgers have the original key numbers for the cars. The Rootes Archive certificates also list the numbers, but don't list whether it is RM (most) or ST (less common, mainly later Mk 1A)
David

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
My next question is about the key numbers.
First, are the numbers simply a code to the key.
Second, I have from the Coventry archives for my car says my keys are FS888 and ST 869.
I understand the FS number but I cannot find any reference to a ST number key.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Second, I have from the Coventry archives for my car says my keys are FS888 and ST 869.
The ST keys and locks are harder to come up with and they are scattered throughout the Tiger production. MK1 9470010 had ST801 and MK2 382100467 had ST883. I'm pretty sure I have a couple of ST door lock cylinders that could be rekeyed. I don't have any ST ignition lock cylinders I got my NOS correctly numbered keys (RM and FS) from Mark Davis (Volvo Guys in Pa.)

ST is a lock manufactured by Strebor, as opposed to Wilmot Breeden. Only a Strebor key will fit a Strebor lock. RM and RL locks made by Wilmot Breeden will use the same blanks and either key will fit the same lock.

unbeam

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Yes, the 2 letters and 3 digits can be referenced to the cut of the key and the types and order of the pins in the locks. So a good locksmith with the reference books can cut the appropriate key, and rekey a lock, as long as he has the appropriate pins. Jake Voelckers has the reference books. Apparently there were only 3 different pins, but their order allowed many variations (each lock has 5 pins)
Most Tigers had RM keys. About 800 had ST keys, mainly in later Mk1A. ST stands for Strebor, who for a time supplied keys and locks to Wilmot Breeden, who sold to Rootes. Only 3 Mkll Tigers had ST. These had the same shape as the RM, but the fluted slot is on the opposite side, a mirror image of an RM key. So an ST key will not fit into an RM or RL lock. I believe Patrick King has some for sale.
The FS keys and locks stayed constant during Alpine and Tiger production.
David

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Yes, the 2 letters and 3 digits can be referenced to the cut of the key and the types and order of the pins in the locks. So a good locksmith with the reference books can cut the appropriate key, and rekey a lock, as long as he has the appropriate pins. Jake Voelckers has the reference books. Apparently there were only 3 different pins, but their order allowed many variations (each lock has 5 pins)
Most Tigers had RM keys. About 800 had ST keys, mainly in later Mk1A. ST stands for Strebor, who for a time supplied keys and locks to Wilmot Breeden, who sold to Rootes. Only 3 Mkll Tigers had ST. These had the same shape as the RM, but the fluted slot is on the opposite side, a mirror image of an RM key. So an ST key will not fit into an RM or RL lock. I believe Patrick King has some for sale.
The FS keys and locks stayed constant during Alpine and Tiger production.
David
Early series 1/2 Alpines probably used FP trunk locks and keys as the FS locks weren't used until 1963

unbeam

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Early series 1/2 Alpines probably used FP trunk locks and keys as the FS locks weren't used until 1963
I stand corrected. Forgot about the early Alpines. The Jensen ledgers have accurate info regarding Tiger keys and locks, but there is no equivalent source for Alpines. I have a Harrington LeMans, and it came with a single FP key for the interior locks. It's a little round headed thing. My HLM also came with RM and FS keys, but not sure why the FS, as it fits nothing on the car. Series 1 and ll have listed FP, SR, ST and RM keys. Not sure how many of each key were used. My Rootes Archive certificate for the HLM does not list keys, not sure what other Alpine owners have on theirs.
David