How to remove Heating/Defroster Control Knobs or a source for them

DCTiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
My Mk I does not have knobs and my MK IA does. I do not see how the plastic knobs are held (no allen key) on. Would it be easier to source a pair than to destroy the attached set? Did not see SS have them.

Also what is proper for MK I vice MK IA? Are they metal balls or are they plastic knobs?

TIA,
Rob

Last edited:

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
You'll find an opening on the bottom of the black plastic knobs. Insert a punch into the opening and push up and pull the knob to remove it. The early cars have a round knob held on by a screw.

110_1685.JPG

110_1686.JPG

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
What was the VIN? Assume the car has the heater blower switch on the left of the steering wheel
If the switch is in the dash to the left of the steering wheel then it's probably a two speed fan unless the switch on the control for the single speed fan has gone bad. There was space on the dash for the switch to be installed which made for a much better repair of the single speed fan switch.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
A good rule of thumb is cars with 2 speed fans have the plastic knobs, Have a MK1 Tiger in the shop right now in the 900's. (Dec '64) single speed fan, chrome ball knobs.

DCTiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
B9471538

I am assuming balls vice knobs.
I have a single spd fan.

Last edited:

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
B9471538

I am assuming balls vice knobs.
I have a single spd fan.
Anyone’s guess My Dec 1964 has 2 speed fan and plastic knobs. Totally original B9471379 Switch to the left of the steering wheel and marked with a removable aluminum tag with Blower on it

Last edited:

RIX260

Gold forum user
CAT Member
You'll find an opening on the bottom of the black plastic knobs. Insert a punch into the opening and push up and pull the knob to remove it. The early cars have a round knob held on by a screw.

View attachment 18485

View attachment 18486
The round, chrome knob has female threads that fit onto the matching, threaded male lever. The end of the knob has a phillips 'cross' cut into it to make tightening and loosening the knob easier.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
A good rule of thumb is cars with 2 speed fans have the plastic knobs, Have a MK1 Tiger in the shop right now in the 900's. (Dec '64) single speed fan, chrome ball knobs.
Sean, do you have a parts book handy? The cross over for the switches will be listed .. will show in Alpine SIV production numbers and that can be cross reference to tiger production timeline

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Sean, do you have a parts book handy? The cross over for the switches will be listed .. will show in Alpine SIV production numbers and that can be cross reference to tiger production timeline
The switch to the heater controls with the black plastic knob started with series 4 Alpine B94100001. The first B941 car was built 08/03/1964.