Ian's victims

Warren

Gold forum user
https://www.copart.com/lotSearchResults?free=true&query=Sunb

Anyone know these cars. Don't know if this is one of those times when an insurance company used Copart to establish a buy back value for the insured.
The grey car looks like it was neglected prior to the high waters. Our member Brian W. was suggesting cars to me. Although I have experience with flooded cars and think the cars are easily brought back, but not by me. Possibly someone who's a Copart member can publish the VIN numbers.

boss-tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Cool, what is best way to neutralize the salt water? My car had been in fresh water flood about 2' deep (silt 3/4 full in front parking lamp lens) and I pulled a lot of silt and rocks out of everywhere during complete disassembly at start of current ongoing resto. My guess sooner they are torn into and cleaned up the better - may be a bargin for someone wanting a Tiger project - those prices shown seem way to high for sale water flood damaged cars IMO

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The prices listed seem very high for csrs tgat have been in salt water.

The thought of a sunbeam in deep salt water is terrifying... It would sit inside the sills , box sections.. Everywhere hidden...
Id guess you would have to have the cars dipped in an acid bath then zinc dipped or similar to protect all the inner areas

Warren

Gold forum user
Typically they list prices as value pre loss . Clearly it could be salt or fresh water depending on the location of the car when damaged.
I've only dealt with rain water flooding .

To see the VIN it looks like 50 someone bucks to bid and then you gotta get a broker involved.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
A number of years ago four of our Beams set thru a flood at one of our rentals. The water rose to just below the dash. The water went down as fast as it came in since the garage is on a hill. The first thing I did was to move the cars to my shop and turned the heat as high as it would go and also kept kerosene heaters going for a week in order to dry the cars. The temp in the shop went up into the 90's. My company sells lubes to quite a few stone quarries and surface mines which have a wet environment and one of those products is intended to be put in gear boxes, differential and trans to absorb water. I brought enough of that home to add after changing fluids and the mechanicals have never presented a problem. The same didn't pertain to the seats and carpets but that was an easy fix. You can remove a panel on each end of the rockers in order to flush, clean and dry the sill area. There are drain holes in the rockers, and lower fenders. If the cars had been insured thru a company such as Hagerty for a set value they may not have ended up in a Copart yard. I have to agree with Warren that the one car looks like it set for years before the flood.

boss-tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Is someone in the CAT club a broker/member of copart and able as be an agent to bid on these cars (assuming for a fee)?

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I have restored flood cars, but it's not a venture for the weak of pocketbook... I would recommend an alkaline dip followed by injection of waxoyl or similar substance before even getting started...

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Flood waters can be a problem with an unrestored car such as the ones at Copart. This photo shows the residue on one of my cars that Doug restored that had to be cleaned off after paint and being treated. This is from the inside of body panels and the X frame having been treated. The body was originally dipped and epoxy coated prior to body work and paint. I think he used a 3M product on this car. We're not rookies to cars setting thru a flood so we carry a stated insurance value that would cover flood repairs or anything short of being run over by a D11 dozer.

107_0509.JPG

107_0510.JPG

Last edited:

Warren

Gold forum user
I don't think anyone knows what a adjuster for an insurance company will do. Both cars look like oh I'll pick off the air cleaner and let em have the car. As I said in a previous post. Most owners have their cars over insured and may want a quick pay out rather than face a for sale by owner. Probably easier than burying your car like the Mercedes found in a owners back yard after a 30 year loss claim. To bad the claimant is way past dead.

Take a flood in a area with septic tanks or near storm drains and the clean up gets worse. Put em in a subterranean garage next to a street drain it gets worse. There was well over 100 cars sunk in my old neighborhood every 5 years or so since 1965. The only good thing was it wasn't ocean water..

As usual with cars it'll be someone who really wants em or one that can get eyes and hands on. It's imperative to get to the car as quickly as possible and that ship sunk. Depending upon how long they are submerged oils get out. Gasoline in a vented tank is replaced nearly immediately. Hard to imagine a 70s Caddy trunk and gas tank floating the back of the car . Too bad these cars may get a rolling "restoration," and a title wash courtesy of the states that offer transferable registration. It's agreed value not stated value. AAA Allstate State Farm have stated value in California.
Read your policy understand the differences.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I don't think anyone knows what a adjuster for an insurance company will do. Both cars look like oh I'll pick off the air cleaner and let em have the car. As I said in a previous post. Most owners have their cars over insured and may want a quick pay out rather than face a for sale by owner. Probably easier than burying your car like the Mercedes found in a owners back yard after a 30 year loss claim. To bad the claimant is way past dead.

Take a flood in a area with septic tanks or near storm drains and the clean up gets worse. Put em in a subterranean garage next to a street drain it gets worse. There was well over 100 cars sunk in my old neighborhood every 5 years or so since 1965. The only good thing was it wasn't ocean water..

As usual with cars it'll be someone who really wants em or one that can get eyes and hands on. It's imperative to get to the car as quickly as possible and that ship sunk. Depending upon how long they are submerged oils get out. Gasoline in a vented tank is replaced nearly immediately. Hard to imagine a 70s Caddy trunk and gas tank floating the back of the car . Too bad these cars may get a rolling "restoration," and a title wash courtesy of the states that offer transferable registration. It's agreed value not stated value. AAA Allstate State Farm have stated value in California.
Read your policy understand the differences.
Another factor is to have a Tiger owner as your Hagerty agent.